Why No Glacier Blue In 1963 Ditzler Chips?

J3Studio

Glacier Blue became available on all `63 models including the Riviera effective Jan 4th, 1963. Glacier Blue is a carryover color from `62 so it would seem availability was a response to customer requests.

Spruce Green was dropped on all models except the Riviera at the same point in time. It is not very often a Spruce Green `63 Riviera pops up but when it does it always catches my attention. Love the color, it is very Buick...

Tom Mooney

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 1965rivgs said:

Glacier Blue became available on all `63 models including the Riviera effective Jan 4th, 1963. Glacier Blue is a carryover color from `62 so it would seem availability was a response to customer requests.

Spruce Green was dropped on all models except the Riviera at the same point in time. It is not very often a Spruce Green `63 Riviera pops up but when it does it always catches my attention. Love the color, it is very Buick...

Aha! Thank you, Tom—that explains the 16 colors for 1963, versus the 15 going forward for many years.

9 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

Tom Mooney

A Spruce Green w/ silver leather was what caught my eye back in September of 62 when my dad and I were at the Stuart Conklin garage in Hutchinson one Saturday morning.  It was under a cover waiting for the upcoming "reveal" of all of the new 63's.  When Monogram came out with a model of the 63 Riviera, I bought one and painted it the same colors as the one I discovered that September morning.  I still have that same model car but repainted it to match the 63 that I bought in 82.  Haven't seen many since.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

A Spruce Green w/ silver leather was what caught my eye back in September of 62 when my dad and I were at the Stuart Conklin garage in Hutchinson one Saturday morning.  It was under a cover waiting for the upcoming "reveal" of all of the new 63's.  When Monogram came out with a model of the 63 Riviera, I bought one and painted it the same colors as the one I discovered that September morning.  I still have that same model car but repainted it to match the 63 that I bought in 82.  Haven't seen many since.

The chips imply that Spruce Green is close to the 1965-1967 Verde Green, but not exactly the same—is that true?

2 hours ago, RivNut said:

According to www.paintref.com, Spruce Green has PPG code 43125 and Verde Green has code 43653.  Not the same.

Oh, I know they aren't the same—just wondering how close they are in real life.

Edited by J3Studio (see edit history)

To really tell how they differ, you'd need the formula fro each and compare the different grams of each primary color that make up the whole.  Sometimes you'd be amazed at what colors are added to what to come up with the final product.  I used to do the accounting for a company that made OEM dyes.  Hard to believe how some colors are made.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, RivNut said:

To really tell how they differ, you'd need the formula fro each and compare the different grams of each primary color that make up the whole.  Sometimes you'd be amazed at what colors are added to what to come up with the final product.  I used to do the accounting for a company that made OEM dyes.  Hard to believe how some colors are made.

All true. I know I'm settling for a far less accurate approximation.