Needle & seat ?

Frank Wilkie

I bought a new carb kit for my 1954 Chrysler 331 V8 with a 2 bbl Carter 2039SA carb. .. Put all together but it didn't perform.. The mechanic was saying the new needle & seat wasn't seating correct. He tried to work with it but still not comfortable with it..  The kit's needle wasn't like the original. It just had a rubber end compared to the original steel cone type.. Has anyone else had this problem and how did you correct it..?

My B B 1 Carter had the pointy type but was changed to accommodate the ethanol gas by redesigning the new type with a flat   rubber at the end . I think it does not work efficiently as the cone type. In the old days when there was no Viton tip every body used grinding compound to seat them as a unit. It worked. Use a good fuel filter. Diesel injector pumps needle and seat are similarly done. Each injector and seat as a unit.  I think if you find the cone type go ahead and use it but use high end gas only, I think the high end gas does not have ethanol. I may be wrong. If you intend to use high end gas you will have to advance the ignition timing most likely. 

4 hours ago, trini said:

I think the high end gas does not have ethanol. I may be wrong.

Around here non-ethanol is available at certain fueling stations, few and far between, but more than a few years ago. And the octane varies from 87 to 93, so one has to choose their station for the octane they want. Only one station within 50 miles of me has two octanes of non-ethanol (87 and 93). All the others have one octane.

The "normal" premium at any station around here is 10% Ethanol (E-10) even if they also carry a non-ethanol premium.

Lots more E-15 available than a few years ago also, only use this (and E-85) in vehicles designed for it.;)

Say, Jon,what makes the green color in carburetors running ethanol laced fuel? Is it some reaction to the brass?

Then we could discuss the crap in the bottom. 😁

Green.jpg

2 hours ago, carbking said:

For those who believe the old steel needles are NOT effected by ethanol:

Steel needle with exposure to ethanol

Jon

It's not just the steel parts, either. Ethanol can cause corrosion of the brass, too.  Read the PDF file from the American Chemical Society here;

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/acs.energyfuels.7b01682?src=recsys

I see it quite often in the brass parts of carbs, fuel pump check valve seats, vacuum tank parts, and the brass fuel pickup/sender units of early gas tanks.

And, since I cleaned the corrosion out and switched all my small motor carbs, such as lawnmower, weedwhacker, and chainsaw to e-free gas, no more problems starting or running poorly. 

Luckily, many of the gas stations in central NYS have e-free high test by now. Costa a bit more than ethanol regular, but it sure saves a lot on costs of labor to get fuel systems working well again.  

Paul 

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)