OIL RECOMMENDED VS WHAT YOU THINK

Sactownog

I spoke to the machine shop that has done some work for my MOPAR 230 FLAT HEAD 6 ENGINE, they recommended diesel oil over the non-deturgent 30w oil that was recommended in the past. 

I am currently rebuilding the engine, I have turned the crank, got new pistons, rings, am going to bore the cylinder's and now am now trying to figure out what oil I should use for the engine. 

Thoughts? 

CI-4 diesel oil has a good amount of ZDDP. Read Richard Widman's paper about it. http://www.widman.biz/Corvair/English/Links/Oil.html

Oil for petrol cars must have reduced ZDDP (zinc and phosphorous) to no damage the catalytic converter.

There are very many topics on these fora about engine oil. There is one on "Zinc" here at the moment. There is a plethora of reading for you, though it is your job to separate the myths from the facts.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Spinneyhill said:

CI-4 diesel oil has a good amount of ZDDP. Read Richard Widman's paper about it. http://www.widman.biz/Corvair/English/Links/Oil.htm

Unfortunately that article was written in 2013. Today some diesel oils (CK-4) have lower ZDDP levels just like oil for gasoline engines. Rotella still seems to be around 1200 PPM. If you want to be sure, use a motorsports oil like Gibbs.

Penrite make high zinc content oils, which I believe you can buy from restoration supply co

https://www.penriteoil.com.au/applications/speciality/vintage-classic

It's pretty much a religious debate about what's best for your vehicle, about the only thing people generally agree on is that modern stuff is better than what they had in the day 

2 minutes ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

For goodness sakes!  The cheapest oil today is superior to the best oil from the late '40s and back. Only high performance engines with stronger valve springs need zddp.  You will be good with any oil you can get. Personally , I use Rotella.

Ben

tenor.gif?itemid=4865925

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

When is all this nonsense about what oil to use is going to end?  I assume that the engine you are talking about is from the mid 1950's or thereabout and here we are in 2019 and the engine is still capable of being used after a lifetime of using that dreaded non-detergent oil albeit after re-conditioning.  My point is that in all probability after a long and probably less cared for life than it is now is now going to get somehow before the engine is put back into use it needs this great debate and the reading of long and technical articles about what oil to use.  My only suggestion if you cannot make up your own mind contact the technical department of any of the reputable oil companies and ask them.  My oil of choice would be something like a 10W40 or 15W 40 oil.  Some on these forums are obsessed with synthetic oil and if you want to use them do so but as I have previously stated discuss it with technical people who know what they are talking about.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If it was mine I would treat it like a new engine since that is what it is. Break it in on a good name brand 10W30 then switch to synthetic. My only concern would be if the rear main seal will hold back synthetic oil, have heard some won't but that may be on old worn engines.

Your flathead has a lightly loaded valve train like a modern overhead cam job. You could think of yours as an underhead cam engine lol. So, no need for zinc or special additives.

For long valve and ring life you could add a little Redex, Marvel Mystery Oil or other top end lubricant to the gas. Today's gas is very 'dry' compared to what they made when your engine was new.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spinneyhill said:

Lucky dog! It is usually over $90 for 10 L here, on special, for the CI-4 diesel semi-synthetic oil.

Normally its about $45 for the 6L. Do you have Supercheap or Repco there spinney?

Yup. Sacto',  take the guys advice, and heed what Stude 17 says. Have a good long talk with your Mobil and Amsoil reps. Go synthetic. Amsoil has a state-of-the-art break in oil, and their explanation is extremely informative regarding cylinder wall wear in. Talk to the reps about their recommendations for oil, and please report back with what you learn. DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES USE ANYTHING OTHER THAN SYNTHETIC GREASE. Ask the Mobil and Amsoil reps to find out why.    -     CC 

Use break in oil after the completed rebuild. Then use standard off the shelf conventional oil. Add some oil additive (zinc). I use Supertech 10w-40 from Walmart. The oil depending on region is manufactured by Citgo, Warren and or Quaker State. The zinc level is between 600-800 ppm. I add Rislone oil additive with zinc.  The cost of oil, filter and additive is around $25.00.  For as little as I drive my Buicks(about 2000 each per year) it does not make economical sense to drop $40-$50 on synthetics or other specialty oils specifically if one performs annual oil change like I do. 

18 hours ago, joe_padavano said:

Unfortunately that article was written in 2013. Today some diesel oils (CK-4) have lower ZDDP levels just like oil for gasoline engines. Rotella still seems to be around 1200 PPM. If you want to be sure, use a motorsports oil like Gibbs.

Take a careful look at these diesel oils as the zinc has been reduced in some of these as of late. Emissions control and converters in the exhaust systems for emissions standards has changed. 

30 minutes ago, Sactownog said:

what are your thoughts on royal purple oil for the engine? 

My readings concerning RP is it is a very good oil. Does contain zinc but at the required level for emissions control(low enough to not damage convertors in the exhaust system).  The truck and race oils contain the higher zinc content as convertors in the exhaust are a non-factor). If you are concerned about zinc purchase classic car oil. I have used Lucas Classic Car Oil without issue.  

As a side note, I replaced lifters, rebuild the heads and honed/installed new rings. Did not replace the cam (Buick 264 nailhead) I broke in the engine using standard oil with zinc additive.  Performanced the high rpm initial start up. Then drove 500 miles. Once done changed the oil with same I used to break in. Added zinc.  No issues.  

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)

Well, since you are considering spending RP money, in that case, why not just go ahead and use the VERY BEST oil for your engine ? There are a couple of companies whose products across the wide board, test out above the rest. I was researching gear lubes, and was surprised to find that in a number of categories, RP and Lucas (which I had been using in ignorance), were unacceptable. Some companies do a good job at blowing their own horn, and everyone can hear them. Hear it long enough, and you become seduced by it. Once I realize that any product does not measure up to the self-generated hype, I become skeptical about their entire product line.

Bottom line, Sacto', is find an Amsoil dealer, or rep, or go online. Amsoil has an extremely good reputation, and tests at or near the top of the heap. For cars such as yours, Amsoil Z-Rod has been developed. Available in 10W/30, and 20W/50, or mix half and half for 15W/40. Formulated to resist corrosion in engines which are not daily drivers laid up for periods of time. And more. Like I say, if you are gonna spend Purple bucks, why not just get the best. Check it out, and please read the description of wear in, and their product SPECIFICALLY designed to do the job.

I always close with a disclaimer. I have absolutely no connection to Amsoil. I am not a dealer, I don't have stock, do not even know if Amsoil is publicly traded. I just use it. Standard challenge : If anyone can prove there is a better product, I will change to it.

You've got a newly overhauled engine coming. You may be driving that engine for a very long time.     -   Cadillac Carl 

P.S. Yeah, and Z-Rod has just about the right amount of ZDDP. More than you will need, but not too much.

E65901DA-4BCB-43A6-9BE2-1C5159CF35D2.jpeg

Edited by C Carl
Add P.S. (see edit history)

Just NEVER consider using non-detergent oil in a rebuilt engine! Anything else on the shelf at the store will work fine.

The 230 cu in was designed before the oil companies put any ZDDP in oil!;)

5 minutes ago, Frank DuVal said:

Just NEVER consider using non-detergent oil in a rebuilt engine! Anything else on the shelf at the store will work fine.

The 230 cu in was designed before the oil companies put any ZDDP in oil!;)

It is to my understanding zinc was introduced in the late 1930s. 

Invented in 1941 by Lubrizol.

API SB oil came out in 1930 or so, with SA being for engines up to 1930. SC is for engines built after 1951. So unless API changed the specs between 1931 and 1951 to include ZDDP, it didn't show up in requirements until SC rated oil. I cannot find API requirements for additives in SB and SC oil, though, so I can be wrong!😁

http://www.pqiamerica.com/apiserviceclass.htm

230 cu in. first in 1942 Dodge. 

• Like 1

I have a 1966 Morgan with a four speed Moss gearbox.  Most people recommend using a 30 weight oil in it. Mine had 30 weight in it, but I was unhappy with its performance. It shifted more slowly than it should and had the annoying problem of popping out of gear on hills. I replaced the 30 weight with RedLine MT 90, based upon the company's recommendation.  The car now shifts more smoothly and quickly and no longer pops out of gear, even on very steep hills.

However, when I tried the MT 90 in my 1935 Cadillac, it made shifting awful. The synchronizers barely worked at all. I suspect the MT 90 is too light an oil for that transmission. I’m currently trying to sort out what to try next - probably Redline or Amsoil 75w140. Both are claimed safe for yellow metals.

Phil

15 minutes ago, pmhowe said:

However, when I tried the MT 90 in my 1935 Cadillac, it made shifting awful. The synchronizers barely worked at all. I suspect the MT 90 is too light an oil for that transmission. I’m currently trying to sort out what to try next - probably Redline or Amsoil 75w140. Both are claimed safe for yellow metals.

I had the same experience with my 1936 Pierce.  I've had best results mixing GL-1 90 and 140 half-and-half.  That car also has a standard BW OD, and I use the same lube in the OD box, and there's migration of oil between the two boxes.  My 1948 Willys, also with a BW OD, owners manual is very explicit in its instruction to use straight mineral oil (i.e., GL-1) in the trans and OD but Extreme Pressure (EP) oil in the diff.

• Like 1

That's not really how it is supposed to work. The synchronizer is a friction device, literally a brake. The issue isn't weight, its that the oil cannot be too slippery or the synchronizer will not be able to stop the gear. Hypoid gear oils are really slippery and do everything in their power to prevent the braking action. Some synchronizers are huge, and have perpendicular grooves machined in them to scrape the oil off of the cone. Those can deal with extra-slippery oil for a while. Maybe not forever. Others may be just barely working when new.

Heavier oil can slow gears down quicker, and help with shifting in spite of synchronizers that don't really work. It boils down to timing.

Grimy mentioned GL-1. That is close to straight mineral oil, and is likely to provide much better results than typical GL-4 or GL-5 gear oil from the parts store.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Bloo said:

That's not really how it is supposed to work. The synchronizer is a friction device, literally a brake. The issue isn't weight, its that the oil cannot be too slippery or the synchronizer will not be able to stop the gear. Hypoid gear oils are really slippery and do everything in their power to prevent the braking action. Some synchronizers are huge, and have perpendicular grooves machined in them to scrape the oil off of the cone. Those can deal with extra-slippery oil for a while. Maybe not forever. Others may be just barely working when new.

Heavier oil can slow gears down quicker, and help with shifting in spite of synchronizers that don't really work. It boils down to timing.

Grimy mentioned GL-1. That is close to straight mineral oil, and is likely to provide much better results than typical GL-4 or GL-5 gear oil from the parts store.

It is a brake and the friction material seen inside the cup for sure. Great post and how oils affect operation.