Teves brake accumulator source

Barney Eaton

Just talked to a Thunderbird parts supplier and they have the same Teves brake accumulator that was sold by Spinning Wheels SC (which has gone out of business)

The web site is  tbscshop.com

Here is a link to the page with the accumulator    https://www.tbscshop.com/89-97-thunderbird-cougar-1/1989-1993-thunderbird-super-coupe/brakes/

The $199.95 price includes shipping.  

UPDATE 11/7/19,,,,,.a Reatta owners said after he ordered the new accumulator from TBSC, 

Spinning Wheels responded to his email saying they would sell theirs for $175.

I don't know if Spinning Wheels is back in business or they are just selling off parts.    This may be a good chance to get an accumulator for either source.

Below is a dimensional sketch made several years back .... from an original Teves accumulator  (GM part # 25528382)

accum dim.jpg

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)

Just bought one of those off ebay for close to the same price. That's a little better deal though.  By the way do you know the difference between the Hydac one and the ACDelco one?  Is one or the other known to be more reliable?  Just looking on ebay it seems the ACDelco ones tend to be more expensive.

11 hours ago, 2seater said:

I can't quite read the fluid volume, which appears out of frame, but the Hydacs I have tested are larger volume, .33l vs .25l, which is advantageous. Usually require a spacer under the strut tower brace. That's a Hydac in my sig pic

I haven't installed mine yet.  I'm going to try and flush the brakes this weekend and will put it in.  what did you use to space up the brace?  just some washers?

2 hours ago, Philbo said:

I haven't installed mine yet.  I'm going to try and flush the brakes this weekend and will put it in.  what did you use to space up the brace?  just some washers?

Yes, just washers. Not elegant but effective.

FYI, I sourced an accumulator in April (on eBay) that is meant for Land Rovers. It has been installed since then and I haven’t had any problems.  $183 + free shipping. No bid necessary, it was a “buy it now”. 

Hope this helps anyone looking for a price replacement. Barney’s source appears to be another great option. 

From the eBay description (not my auction and don’t know the seller):

ABS ACCUMULATOR WABCO Part # STC2784

fits Range Rover P38 95-02

42675E0E-03BB-463D-921B-B5FF79445FC5.png

The Teves ABS system was used by many car manufacturers ...mainly in Europe and US during the mid '80's into the early '90's

I found the list below in some publication..... I recommend looking for sellers that say it is (GM 25528382) compatible....that is no guarantee that it will work but it is a starting place. 

We know some of the units that will "work" are taller than the original which requires some washers under the cross brace between the strut towers.  

Thanks for the input on other ..... is STC2784 the WABCO part number?   Other Reatta owners say they have purchased accumulators off Ebay advertised for Jaguar.

Note in the listing below,  not all the vehicles listed have the Teves ABS system....the list just indicates it was available.

Also notice for the Reatta/Riviera  it does not show 1990 and we know all Reattas had it from 1988 thru 1990,  but it was an option on the Riviera

The Land Rover is not listed and I have talked to local VW shops and they think it was only available on VW in Europe

Teves list.jpg

• Like 1

See the addition to my original post..........

a Reatta owners said after he recently ordered the new accumulator from TBSC, 

Spinning Wheels responded to his email saying they would sell theirs for $175.

I don't know if Spinning Wheels is back in business or they are just selling off parts.    This may be a good chance to get an accumulator for either source.

Also see the accumulator sketch with original dimensions for comparison with the units being sold today.

• 2 weeks later...