Removing hubcaps without damage

BulldogDriver

You might try one of these ...

s-l1600.jpg.17dad1985cdc402df6e0a42601f27cf7.jpg

They are available all over the place and work for removing and installing.

If that is not an option, I try to use a large/wide pry bar. That way it kind of spreads out the prying and isn't as likely to cause dents.

• Like 2

I've used these panel removal tools - the wider ones, 3rd and 4th from the left - to remove beauty rings.  With a couple of them, you can leapfrog them. That means that you don't need to put all the pressure in one spot.  But, unlike the tool that Randall showed, you'll have to put the covers back on using the heel of your hand. But if you have them, you'll also then have the tools you need for door panels, etc. I just used a couple of the narrower ones to remove the plastic facia from the dash of my '90 so I could get to the instrument cluster.  They're stronger than they look.

64126_W3.jpg.7889e22af38e17f6e488a25f7a7745a5.jpg

• Like 2

20 hours ago, RivNut said:

I've used these panel removal tools - the wider ones, 3rd and 4th from the left - to remove beauty rings.  With a couple of them, you can leapfrog them. That means that you don't need to put all the pressure in one spot.  But, unlike the tool that Randall showed, you'll have to put the covers back on using the heel of your hand. But if you have them, you'll also then have the tools you need for door panels, etc. I just used a couple of the narrower ones to remove the plastic facia from the dash of my '90 so I could get to the instrument cluster.  They're stronger than they look.

64126_W3.jpg.7889e22af38e17f6e488a25f7a7745a5.jpg

Ed's solution is best.....standard hubcap tools and scredrivers will bend the covers on the edge because they are not wide enough

• Like 1

Ed’s idea looks good to me. Where did you source them from?

Just picked up a pair of 6” rims from the repair shop and they came back “as new”! Turbinator Bob had the rims and I want to thank him for them. 

I’m waiting on a disc conversion kit and sway bars from Fatbuick Tony to start replacing everything on the brake system  except for the rear wheel cylinders. Hoping to have all of the brake/suspension/steering systems updated by spring. Even though the car sat inside for almost 20 years, some of the rubber parts need attention so I’m doing everything at one time.

Ray

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

When I got it, it had a piece missing about the size of a silver dollar.

Good Day.

A silver dollar wouldn't be so bad. When I bought my '64 in 1980,  I had two attempted "removal scars" of varying size on the aluminium turbines. The 'full-monty cover" I've subsequently replaced and I now use this one on my spare tire. Imagine the thieves head scratching when the entire ring busted off...)

The one with the smaller scar, I've located a gentleman locally that I feel confident can fix it. He does some amazing work with metals.  I can imagine a lot of these bolt-on turbines ended up with this type of damage when hubcaps (and hubcap theft) were more prevalent than what we see on today's cars...

Later,

Mike Swick

Edmonton, AB

----1500970331_RivWheelCovers-2.thumb.jpg.9ec3d103c06243e3025de285ecf54c16.jpg912570475_RivWheelCovers-1.thumb.jpg.96ea6501cdb4ca042b9808de42a6b2bc.jpg

21 hours ago, MikeJS said:

Good Day.

A silver dollar wouldn't be so bad. When I bought my '64 in 1980,  I had two attempted "removal scars" of varying size on the aluminium turbines. The 'full-monty cover" I've subsequently replaced and I now use this one on my spare tire. Imagine the thieves head scratching when the entire ring busted off...)

The one with the smaller scar, I've located a gentleman locally that I feel confident can fix it. He does some amazing work with metals.  I can imagine a lot of these bolt-on turbines ended up with this type of damage when hubcaps (and hubcap theft) were more prevalent than what we see on today's cars...

Later,

Mike Swick

Edmonton, AB

----1500970331_RivWheelCovers-2.thumb.jpg.9ec3d103c06243e3025de285ecf54c16.jpg912570475_RivWheelCovers-1.thumb.jpg.96ea6501cdb4ca042b9808de42a6b2bc.jpg

that is very sad to see.  SO SO Many turbines were broken back then, now one of the reasons that they are so rare.