How to put your baby to sleep ?

FLYER15015

13 minutes ago, FLYER15015 said:

Chris,

When your running on ? old Denman bias plys for the '31 Imperial and even older "Martin's" for the '40 Buick, you really don't want the car to sit on those old tires for extended periods.

Here is where Ed and Matt H go nuts, but my tire guy says they both are fine, and we put new tubes in both just last summer. 

Rear jack stands go on the diff housing just inside the springs, fronts go on the front "I" beam for the '31 just inboard of the springs and on the lower  "A" frame of the Buick we use wood blocks.

Just enough so you can spin the tyres (for those down under).

Mike in Colorado

PS: Tom, did you know that we JUST OPENED CR-306, the road that goes west of town over cottonwood pass to Taylor reservoir and on to Gunnison. It is all paved now, after 5 long years.

Next time you pass thru, give us a shout.....seven one nine three nine five two two nine five

Mike,

I run Coker bias ply on my 60 and Universal bias ply on my 54.  I don't put my cars up on jacks stands.  I run and drive them all winter.  My area has an average winter temp of 30 degrees.   Funny you mention Denman. My 54 had a set the day I purchased the Buick.  

As a side note, I have had modern radials get  a flat spot sitting in the cold overnight.   

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)

9 minutes ago, avgwarhawk said:

None that I'm aware of. 

Except that letting the axles hang, extends the shocks to their max, and I don't know if that is good for them for, in my case 5 months at a time.

Mike in Colorado

12 minutes ago, FLYER15015 said:

Except that letting the axles hang, extends the shocks to their max, and I don't know if that is good for them for, in my case 5 months at a time.

Mike in Colorado

I doubt any affect. Some shocks are packaged in their extended state.  Some are  compressed by wire when packaged.  These sit on the shelves for months with no ill affect. 

31 minutes ago, FLYER15015 said:

Chris,

When your running on ? old Denman bias plys for the '31 Imperial and even older "Martin's" for the '40 Buick, you really don't want the car to sit on those old tires for extended periods.

Here is where Ed and Matt H go nuts, but my tire guy says they both are fine, and we put new tubes in both just last summer. 

Rear jack stands go on the diff housing just inside the springs, fronts go on the front "I" beam for the '31 just inboard of the springs and on the lower  "A" frame of the Buick we use wood blocks.

Just enough so you can spin the tyres (for those down under).

Mike in Colorado

PS: Tom, did you know that we JUST OPENED CR-306, the road that goes west of town over cottonwood pass to Taylor reservoir and on to Gunnison. It is all paved now, after 5 long years.

Next time you pass thru, give us a shout.....seven one nine three nine five two two nine five

Mike,

I did not know about that road. Look forward to trying it out and camping at one of the National Forest campgrounds on the route. I will definite look you up or likewise if you are back east to maybe Hershey where I am a vendor. It will probably be a couple years till I get back but will be retired by then and hope to make Colorado part of our summers even if our daughter leaves Denver. 

Tom Muth

Cincinnati, Ohio

Agree with Matt on the importance of air movement in dead storage. I used multiple fans for years in my unheated storage in Iowa and Mossuri. In addition to floor fans I had one in the center pointed straight up to help move the warmer air near the roof. 

Ben is correct about Texas but stay in the lower half of the state.  (774 miles in north south direction)  With no state income tax you can afford to run a heater in your storage.

Robert,

I agree with the lower half.

Been thru Amarillo with the coach when there was 8" on snow on the ground.

Camped overnight in Dalhart when it was -5 degrees F, trying to get home from Florida last February.

Mike in snowy Colorado

• 4 weeks later...

I see in lots of member's pictures that they cover their cars with thin plastic.  My question is this, is there a particular type of plastic sheeting that you use and any issue with trapping humidity under it during winter storage?  Any input is appreciated as I have a few cars that I would like to cover while I work on a couple of others.

Don