JamesR

Learned something about GMC from eBay

2 hours ago, joe_padavano said:

Plaid-1.jpg

Thanks, Joe. Now that's a real milestone in the history of automotive power!

Benefits of AACA Membership.

In 63 my father bought a new 63 GMC p/u. It had   a 305 V/6 with plaid valve  covers. After he passed away I bought it from my mother. Great truck.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Buffalowed Bill said:

Two things that I remember about these V6, they really ran rough, and got lousy gas mileage. 

You mean like the 3.8 before Buick offset ground the crankpins.

I don't think they ever used the engine being discussed (351 V6) in light trucks. That is a massive heavy V-6 engine. It's a commercial/Industrial engine. If someone has one in a pickup, I'm guessing it's been retrofitted to the vehicle and I'll bet its a real dog on the road.

-Ron

• Like 1

One thing I recall about the GMC V6 of that era is that it had a distinctive sound. One could always tell when one was coming down the road. The later V6’s sound different. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Locomobile said:

I don't think they ever used the engine being discussed (351 V6) in light trucks. That is a massive heavy V-6 engine. It's a commercial/Industrial engine. If someone has one in a pickup, I'm guessing it's been retrofitted to the vehicle and I'll bet its a real dog on the road.

-Ron

Collectible Automobile Magazine published in it's June 2017 issue all the engines listed for the GMC light duty trucks for 1967- 1972

Those engines are;

GMC

305 V-6

351 V-6 *

Chevrolet Gen 3 inline 6

250- I-6

292 I-6

Chevrolet Small block V-8

283 V-8

307 V-8

327 V-8

350 V-8

Chevrolet Big block V-8

396 V-8

402 V-8

* used in 1967 and 1968

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)
  • Like 1

My 67 GMC had a 351 V6. The truck was a vacation vehicle and had an Alaskan camper and pulled an airstream trailer.  I’m a carpenter and it’s now my daily driver. It no longer has the V6 in it. 7 miles per gallon and top speed of 70 downhill was all it took to change things up. 

That double stacked tranny looks like two of the 4 speed tranny’s I used to work on in the 51-54 GMC deuce and a half military trucks. They were basically clones of the 48 Oldsmobile auto with a 4 to 1 reduction on the back of them. I used to buy and recondition military trucks and rebuilt a ton of those tranny’s. The reason they failed was the rubber the lip seals were made out of was junk plus they used a main shaft centrifugal weight governor to shift which often caused premature shifting from a band to a clutch pack. Replacing the lip seals with modern replacements and putting in a manual shift valve body while removing the governor made them bomb proof trannys.

on another note: we had an old GMC box truck with one of those big block V-6 in it. I can still visualize the emblem on the side of the fender noses!

Our school district had a fleet of GMC V6 school buses in the 1960's, the local Pontiac-GMC dealer placed the lowest bid.  They always had an odd sound running and to the exhaust.   Apparently they were quite 'thirsty' too, but tough, durable and long-lived, rust got the bodies before the engine wore out.  Some ended up as cut-down farm trucks after the district sold them off.  They made great hay haulers.

7 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Some ended up as cut-down farm trucks after the district sold them off.  They made great hay haulers.

Many of the V12's ran irrigation pumps once they finished their life under the hood of a truck.

Here is a loose 702.

IMG_0788.JPG

I remember seeing a GMC truck in a junkyard years ago with the V12 badges so I had to look since I did not know there were made,opened the hood and seen what I thought was a V6 but then looked back and seen another intake and set of heads.