New Guy primer questions

kycase

Hi all I am new here and this is my first post but I visit and read often. I have just retired and have started a project to keep me busy. I am not working on a antique car as my budget will not allow it and my paint and body skills are not up to that level. I am how ever restoring a antique tractor and have some paint questions that I hope the experts here can help me with. The sheet metal will be sanded down to bare metal. It is in good shape so little to no body work will be needed. I will be using alkyd enamel (equipment enamel) with acrylic hardener. My question is what is the best primer to use under this paint and is there any special steps I need to take. I think this is a good way to improve my skills and some day get me a car to do. Thanks for any help you can give me.   

If you are spraying, try an epoxy primer on your bare metal surface. If you need to apply any body filler, you can do it over the epoxy., then re-prime over the filled areas. You can then apply your finish. If the metal has rust pits, you can then apply a urethane primer/surfacer, which is essentially a thinned out body filler. This surfacer dry-sands easily down to 400 grit before applying the finish coats. I get the epoxy primer and the primer-surfacer at Eastwood. For the finish itself, you can wet sand, 1200 and 1500, and then buff (I use the 3-step, 3M Perfect-It polishes). If your spray job looks good, you may not need to buff at all, especially on a tractor. 

Phil

Edited by MochetVelo (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Yes, epoxy primer over bare metal.

Like Phil, I do like urethane primer-surfacer also.