Desoto rear ended accident Help needed

Mark Gregory

Can anyone help this fellow out with parts or suggestion ?

Was involved in a Hit and run accident today a d I was in the 30 Desoto.guy wasn't paying attention and looking down at his cell I  guess and plowed I to the back of my car and then left.all in 5 seconds.niw I need rear drivers side fender and passenger side if I can find them.does anyone know what what years will fit??? Or where any are at.still looking.the wreck happened today Sat.the 26th of Oct.

3 hours ago, junkyardjeff said:

I know of some late 20s/early 30s Chrysler products in a old junkyard .

thanks for your response.. I have a 1930 Desoto cf 4 dr sedan. I really need the drivers side rear fender. mine is not savable at all. had 2 body shops look at it and both said no they cant save it.. id like to find both rear fenders if I can .I can get by with just the drivers side. any help is deeply appreciated.. I,m Jim at 913 226 0635 or fedcourtdawg@ Hotmail.com

3 hours ago, Mark Gregory said:

Can anyone help this fellow out with parts or suggestion ?

Was involved in a Hit and run accident today a d I was in the 30 Desoto.guy wasn't paying attention and looking down at his cell I  guess and plowed I to the back of my car and then left.all in 5 seconds.niw I need rear drivers side fender and passenger side if I can find them.does anyone know what what years will fit??? Or where any are at.still looking.the wreck happened today Sat.the 26th of Oct.

10 minutes ago, Big Dawg said:

thank you Mark Gregory for the help. truly appreciated

also does anyone know what fenders interchange with the 1930 cf sedan.. I have heard that 31 or 32 fenders might work. I have no idea what will work.

Report the accident IMMEDIATELY to local law enforcement and your insurance company.  Pretty sure an antique policy insurance company will do the legwork to find you a fender so long as it's not close to totalling out the car.  Nevertheless, it's good to help the process along to find a fender.  On the forums, look for "1939BuickEight" (or something close) who's a retired insurance adjuster for the best advice.

• Like 1

What rotten luck to happen to a beautiful car.  I love 1930 DeSotos so I hope you can find some rear fenders.  I'm in So. Calif. so I'll ask around.  I hate people who rear end and run.  It's happened to me in my modern car.  Marc.

4 hours ago, Grimy said:

Report the accident IMMEDIATELY to local law enforcement and your insurance company.  Pretty sure an antique policy insurance company will do the legwork to find you a fender so long as it's not close to totalling out the car.  Nevertheless, it's good to help the process along to find a fender.  On the forums, look for "1939BuickEight" (or something close) who's a retired insurance adjuster for the best advice.

I dud that but I had just put my card on liability for the winter last week..trust me I'm switching them back on Monday.

8 hours ago, junkyardjeff said:

I know of some late 20s/early 30s Chrysler products in a old junkyard .

If you can check those or give me a.number I'll do it.butbthank you either way.id like to find out what other fenders would fit on my 30 Desoto c.f. 4dr sedan

I did that too on my 2005 Chrysler Town and Country van.  When the car was paid off, I took it off collision to save a lousy $300.  Then, 3 months later I got hit and had to pay $6000 in repairs!  

16 minutes ago, hidden_hunter said:

Glad you're ok! I second the calls here to talk to your insurance company, let them deal with the hassle 

I'm actually impressed with how little damage there is as well 

Yea me to.i just came in from looking at it again and I jacked it up and was going to pull the wheel off to pound out the fender to get it off the tire but I prayed it out enough to work and I know I'll have bit of body work on the back of the body.but that I can do..and the fenders look plenty easy enough to r&r them.then repaint the car..its just finding fenders now

Big Dawg, what a shame especially with your recently purchased car.   Looks like the fender has had some bondo before now.  If there is steel under that, a good metal guy can reshape it again with steel and bondo.  Good Luck.  Finding another fender may prove impossible, but I hope not.

3 hours ago, Big Dawg said:

Yea me to.i just came in from looking at it again and I jacked it up and was going to pull the wheel off to pound out the fender to get it off the tire but I prayed it out enough to work and I know I'll have bit of body work on the back of the body.but that I can do..and the fenders look plenty easy enough to r&r them.then repaint the car..its just finding fenders now

I wouldn't touch it unless you've spoken to your insurance company already - my policy has specific sections on parts etc following an accident

Neither of those part numbers appear in the Dodge Brothers MPL. As I said in your DeSoto forum post, the CF is most like the Dodge Brothers DD and DC (same body, much of the same running gear), but those parts are clearly different. For Example, the DC brake light is mounted on a stork attached under the bumper bolts on the rear of the chassis. This is a dusty DC:

Box-Trunk.thumb.jpg.c608d744363f5047b48054565f5d3fda.jpg

1 hour ago, hidden_hunter said:

I wouldn't touch it unless you've spoken to your insurance company already - my policy has specific sections on parts etc following an accident

My insur.is liability only.just switched it to that last week.lol 

4 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

Big Dawg, what a shame especially with your recently purchased car.   Looks like the fender has had some bondo before now.  If there is steel under that, a good metal guy can reshape it again with steel and bondo.  Good Luck.  Finding another fender may prove impossible, but I hope not.

I know a couple good body men but I'm worried about the twist in the fender

I see some questionable repair under that paint. But if it isn't too bad, that fender can be repaired. Any "body shop" that says it can't be repaired? Is just a "cheap replacement parts changer" shop.

As long as you are alright, that is the most important thing. I have seen many antique automobiles re-restored after much worse wrecks, and fenders far more seriously mangled made to look like new again.

Do check the frame for any signs of stress around the corners and rivets. 

Many years ago, a good friend of mine was hit in his '29 model A Ford fordor sedan. The first thing he did, was at a swap meet, he bought a rear fender. Then he took the car and fender to an old master body man (long since gone now). The man looked at the damage, and the replacement fender, said "put that back in the junk pile you found it" and then said "I would much rather fix this (the one that had been hit) one." Except for make and model, his fender looked just about like yours, and it came our beautiful!

Two years from now this should be the tale you tell in hotel parking lots at the end of a long day tour.

10 hours ago, richasco said:

Per the parts manual you need 

Rear-Fender-Left-Sedan 336321

Rear-Fender-Right-Sedan 336322

Those part numbers are unique to the CK and to the Sedan, if someone has a Chrysler, Plymouth or Dodge parts manual they can look to see they are used on any other models. 

Thanks, no specific parts book source named but these are good part numbers and note that at different times Chrysler Corp issued separate part numbers for painted, enamel and prime

Chrysler Master Buyers Guide issued Jan 1, 1933

Index C-1-12-70-2

Card 6 Date 11-17-32

Sedan, Rear fender right,  1930 CJ and CJX (export) 336322 enamel

Index C-1-12-78-2

Card 9 Date 11-17-32

Sedan, Rear fender left,  1930 CJ and CJX (export) 336321 enamel

- - - - - - - -

Chrysler parts book Issued in June 1934 for all models prior to 1934

Sedan, Rear fender right,  1930 CJ and CJX (export) 336322 painted

Sedan, Rear fender left,  1930 CJ and CJX (export) 336321 painted

- - - - - - - -

Chrysler parts book Issued in Oct 1939 for all models 1929-39

Sedan, Rear fender right,  1930 CJ and CJX (export) 780922 prime

Sedan, Rear fender left,  1930 CJ and CJX (export) 780923 prime

- - - - - - -

Dodge parts book Issued in June 1934 for all models prior to 1934

part numbers not found

- - - - - - - -

Plymouth part book is at the shop, will look up later

1 hour ago, Big Dawg said:

Is like to see The truck that hit me as well.at least that way I could procecute him

I'd be calling some of the local body shops to see if there is a similar truck there being worked on....

I have a 30 DeSoto sedan that still has a few parts left on it but it is from Mexico and has a complete jumble of parts so don't know if rear fenders are factory or something else. The rear fenders are definitely NOT pristine but could save you some work. The picture file is gone from my computer but if a computer whiz can bring them up they are on this site under "1931 Plymouth" at "Our Restoration Projects" posted by Baldeagle on May 1st 2016; page 4. Since we street rodded the 30 Plymouth we made wide rear fenders, wide running boards, tail light stands, etc from scratch which left the fenders on the car intact but are they DeSoto?

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 11:59 AM, Big Dawg said:

Is like to see The truck that hit me as well.at least that way I could procecute him

Oops, I just looked at the OP name that is on the top.

I meant you Dawg.