1931 Buick series 80 or 90 running gear/wheels Lancaster PA craigslist

NOT MINE.  

https://lancaster.craigslist.org/pts/d/downingtown-1931-buick-parts/7003992513.html

6 Wire Wheels in Good Shape, 90 Horse Power Straight 8 that turns over (ran when parked) Trans, Drive Shaft and Complete Rear -Drum to Drum. Complete Front Axle Drum To Drum also available w/ steering column...... I'm basically keeping the Body and Frame Rails to build a Hot Rod. The drive train is still assembled so you can check it out mechanically before making offers. Please send your number to discuss it further if interested.

31 MOTOR.jpg

31 donor car.jpg

Hello Kevin:

Interested in all the parts that you have. I'm fixing up a '32 victoria and need some better wire wheels and spare parts.

Are the wheels 18" 5 lug and 6" centers?

Give a call

Bob Stanley

Middleburg, Pa.

570-837-5134 or 717-497-0101 cell

Thanks

On 10/3/2019 at 3:47 PM, pont35cpe said:

I like it!!  More pictures please..

4 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

The car is still assembled according to the ad. There is always the opportunity to offer some cash to redirect his target. Benevolent, cash carrying, mpassioned preservationists please let us know what offers he turns down.

Several times in the recent past I have made mercy purchases in order to save good original cars from being hotrodded, followed by efforts to find safe homes for them -- not always easily and sometimes at a financial loss.  This not the kind of thing that anyone should have to do.   

I spoke with the owner today.  Wants big bucks for the drivetrain parts.  The car was a 1 owner car that was purchased new by his buddy's grandfather.  Garage kept all its' life until the buddy got it left it stored outside for 8 years. As a result the wood is toast.  The current owner bought it from the buddy and is most likely going to use steel in place of the wood.  So - as much as I hate to see it go the street rod route this is probably the only way it's going to live on.

Edited by JayG (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Buickborn said:

So.  The guy who is planning to gut this meritorious car wants to price-gouge preservationists/restorers for the parts that he doesn't need and that they do.  Truly inspiring.

They often do at first ,  thinking us restorers have huge endless accounts to pick up all those old mechanical bits that are one step from the scrap yard.  Why not.  We will foolishly pay thousands for something we usually don't really need so they can fund their new crate engine, turbo tranny and 9 inch Ford rear. That's how they justified the purchase was selling off the old iron would finance all the new goodies. 

Of course after the engine sits around for a few years and eventually ends up under a tarp in the driveway,  they come down to a realistic price because almost anything is more than scrap and a few new shiny bits for the car are better than a pile of scrap iron they are tripping over. 

• Like 1

Big bucks could mean many things. Is big bucks as much as a fortune? A friend of mine quit going to a local restaurant because he was charged a fortune for a hamburger.

I have seen those heartless, torch wielding butchers strip a car right down to the last nut and bolt, overestimating their skills and finances every step of the way.I might have bout a couple of cars that ended up that way from an abandoned restoration as well. I guess it is a matter of intent.

So, I am curious. How much does this guy want for the mechanical parts compared to what the true hobbyists agree a fair price would be?

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 11:30 AM, 60FlatTop said:

I have seen those heartless, torch wielding butchers strip a car right down to the last nut and bolt, overestimating their skills and finances every step of the way.I might have bout a couple of cars that ended up that way from an abandoned restoration as well. I guess it is a matter of intent.

I saw a guy that bought a new plasma cutter and cut up a rust and rot free Model A so he could make a hot rod.  To get to the point where he could put his small block chevy in the car he just cut everything with the plasma cutter including the clutch & brake pedals instead of unbolting them from the frame.  What a waste of a well preserved car.  His motto was if it didn't move, cut it off.

Mechanical parts without good recent receipts for more than twice what you are asking,  usually are relegated to the 1500 and under category unless you are talking something like 36 Cord or V16 V12 Caddy stuff etc.  People can say I'm way off,  but I look at way too many Craigslist ads and this seems to be the average price range of 500-1500 , often that's full drivetrains, and very little if anything has moved. Engine blocks maybe partially complete are $100.  YEs we aren't talking 409, or VEtte date coded 327's etc.  Just stuff like this Buick a 48 Pontiac A 30's olds engine etc,  all pulled for a conversion.  Many of which were never successfully completed and often sold off half messed up now the guy has a pile of parts to a car he doesn't own. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, thehandleman said:

HE TOLD ME 6K FOR EVERYTHING I LAUGHED AND HUNG UP

What price would have kept you on the line? Or any of the observers of the sale, for that matter?

Well I sell swap meets and online to re-purpose parts so I have to figure fuel and hotel and time to go get it,plus the unknowns cracked block siezed tranny, broke pot metal etc., unknowns like valve stem hole and lug nut holes cracked on wire wheels rust and then how many Hershey"s to get my Investment back, So I would have to be in for it for 850-2000. I have bought so many parts cars complete some fantastic condition to bottom earth rust buckets all for 2 and below if its worth saving I will try and get engine running and yard driveable and resell to the guy who wants to restore it and take to next level. (hopefully keep Original) other wise I re-purpose to my car projects and to the guys looking to complete there's, but some cars may be super rare, but if no one has a project or restore going on it sits and I loose money. In the end its all a gamble. If I had that car and needed all the stuff well I might pay more. he then came back at me for 2500 for engine again, Unknowns and no room for me. Good luck guys on that. 

Closing note: A car like that is a shame, it should have been saved in Preservation of a beautiful Buick in my humble opine.

Cheers 

• Like 2