Is this Walt Disney and his wife standing next to a Studebaker convertible?

Lebowski

My vote, same couple. BTW, the angled wood pieces in the house framing are not intended as "firestopping" but are mid-height bracing intended to stop studs from twisting/buckling etc, there by avoiding later problems with drywall or plaster work . "Firestopping" usually occurs at floor levels. Bracing like this is also used between floor joists (often called blocking) and serves the same purpose,, i.e. to keep joists straight and tie them together making for a stronger floor.  

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Gunsmoke said:

My vote, same couple. BTW, the angled wood pieces in the house framing are not intended as "firestopping" but are mid-height bracing intended to stop studs from twisting/buckling etc, there by avoiding later problems with drywall or plaster work . "Firestopping" usually occurs at floor levels. Bracing like this is also used between floor joists (often called blocking) and serves the same purpose,, i.e. to keep joists straight and tie them together making for a stronger floor.  

Lot nicer using a chop saw today, along with a framing gun. Bob 

• Like 1

1. Both people look nearly identical in every single way.

2. The fact that the photo was in a magazine or something similar suggests the people are famous.

3. If the car in the photo belongs to the people in the photo, it suggests they are fairly wealthy.

4. This adds up to it being more likely that it is them than not.

Lillian Disney. Compare the eyes and the cheeks.

...........................................................................................lilliandisney.jpg

house.thumb.jpg.2484b96af35ea2d427988506

Edited by barnett468 (see edit history)

My first impression was that's not Walt, but comparing it to other internet photos I'm thinking my first impression maybe was wrong. Walt had a slightly longer face, IMO, but it looks like him in many other respects. Hard to tell. One other thing that suggests it may not be Walt is that the person's hairline on the right side of his face (his right, of course) comes to sort of a peak that I can't in any other old photos from that era, but that could be a haircut thing. From the other picture someone posted it looks like his wife, so that makes it even more difficult. If I had to gamble, I'd say it probably was him in the photo, but in large part because the woman looks similar to his wife, Lillian.

Edited by JamesR (see edit history)

2 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Lot nicer using a chop saw today, along with a framing gun.

Just a question.  I could understand a chop saw and a framing gun being faster but do not understand how it could be "nicer".

I remember watching a crew in 1976 framing a medium size church.  Two old carpenters were cutting the diagonal sub-flooring with hand saws.  They managed to keep two runners and four nailers busy.  Every diagonal piece met exactly on the middle of a joist.  I thought that was neat but when they did the roof framing it was a marvel to see.  Once again the two old carpenters cut all the hip, valley, and jack rafters on the ground, they were passed up and they all fit.  Beautiful work and employment for many people.  Aah the good old days, I don't wish to go back there.

5 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Must be a West Coast construction site, never seen angled fire stops before. Bob 

As a draftsman for over 45 years, I can only guess that those studs are about 12" on center and so the only way to nail those blocks in was at an angle. I have never seen that style of blocking, either.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Hard to tell one way or the other about it being Walt Disney or not but as for the convertible question - I have very often had the top down and the windows up.

Good when the air is getting a little cooler and especially good when on the freeway.

Also, when parking with the top down I almost always roll up the windows.

It's just enough of a deterrent to keep people from reaching into the car.

I've also parked with the windows up and put the top up but not latched just to keep keep out of the car.

The pose in front of the new home under construction clearly suggests pride of ownership. The neighborhood, while nice, is quite middle class. From 1932-1950 Walt and his family lived in this home:

f05d0e79fb2be149b7d688e1681a4b79.jpg

From 1950 til his death, they lived in this home:

400x400.jpg

Logic would suggest the picture is not of Walt and his wife.

Edited by GregLaR (see edit history)

Was the guy in the pictures stopping by to visit with someone?  If it was Walt,  someone Might have wanted to get a shot of him.  Also seems strange that house is being built yet the others look to have been there for a while.  Maybe it burnt and this is a replacement. so a friend told him to stop by and check the progress.  Maybe he even helped the guy rebuild it financially.  One will probably never know. 

I believe the Studebaker pictured is a 1950. Here is a pic of Walt in front of his earlier house with his brand new '48 Olds convertible. It defies logic that he would have two such similar cars in such a short period of time wouldn't you think?

walt olds48.jpg

2 hours ago, GregLaR said:

It defies logic that he would have two such similar cars in such a short period of time wouldn't you think?

Not in 1950. By then the post war demand for cars was lessening some, and buying a new car every year was a status symbol for some. Even into the early 60s trading every two years was common. Not for my dad!😉

That man doesn't look anything like Walt.  He parts his hair in the middle, Walt parts his hair on the left like most of us.  It's not just a haircut thing.  The other man's teeth and smile look nothing like Walt.  I saw Walt Disney standing at the entrance when my parents took us as little kids, age 6, to Disneyland in 1956.