1932 Buick 90 under dash electrical info needed

I purchased a repro wire harness for engine and dash. There was some electrical components under the dash that were in rough shape. Any images or info on these components?  If I knew what they do I may be able to make them. Here is an image of one. Only image I have.

Tony

20150325_135432.jpg

There is a very descriptive portion of the 1932 Spec and Adjustments manual Pages 125-126 on the current limit relay.  You should be able to use modern components to duplicate this function.  As it's under the dash, it won't be seen.  

If you follow the wires from the three lamps on the back of the dash gauge cluster they will lead you to the toggle switch.

Bob Engle

There is a great possibility that your limiter can be serviced and reused. Carefully clean it with compressed air and inspect. I have cleaned up the contacts and terminals and these things can back to life. They can be bench tested easily by applying a load . If  I remember correctly my 1929 limiter began to interrupt around 40 amps. It wont cost anything to give it a shot , I would try it.

30 and 31 used a similar if not identical current limit relay and my car, when I got it, had none.  I was able to round up a used one from a 30 car that was dirty when I started but as raydurr stated they can be brought back to life.  I cleaned mine all up and installed it with a Harnesses Unlimited repro wire harness it seems fine, every electrical circuit in my car works as it should.  According to the 31 specs and adjustments manual it is calibrated to protect the car's wiring from short circuit and will open circuits when it sees a combined load more than 15 amps.  The starter and ignition circuits were not protected for 31.  Instruments, charging and lighting circuits are protected.  It buzzes when the load gets to be too high.

Current limit relay from a 1930 Buick as received...

BW 002.jpeg

Looked better fter a thorough cleaning and I treated the points to a bath in De-Oxit aerosol contact cleaner.

BW 005.jpg

Here it has been mounted with the Harnesses Unlimited reproduction wire harness. 

BW 023.jpg

Edited by Str8-8-Dave
add text (see edit history)
  • Like 1
On Monday, November 04, 2019 at 9:12 PM, Robert Engle said:

Don't lose a lot of sleep over the current limit relay, just put a 40amp fuse in the lighting circuit and you are protected from a short.  You can also add a fuse to the coil circuit  if you have concerns about shorts in that circuit also. 

Bob Engle

Great tip Bob. That's the route I will go since it is much less expensive. Ya know, I am looking at that picture I posted behind the dash. Isn't that the relay we are talking about with all the screws. If so I must have had it.