Auto trans in 37 Special final chapter

The 2004R overdrive automatic behind the 263 straight eight in my 37 has whipped my butt. The engine-transmission combination just didn't work. The straight eights very low rpm torque had the trans constantly "searching" till it finally settled down in top gear. Maybe the 10 or 12 shifts in each take off was harmless but I wasn't going to trust it even though I went to a high dollar constant pressure pump to prevent band/clutch wear. A turbo 350 is now back in the 37 and it works perfect. I first went to the OD trans in conjunction with 4.11 rear gears to help the old girl out in hills or mountains as the 2.73 rear behind the first 350 trans ran out of poop in the hills. Ben has a 3.36 rear gear in his 50 which I have ridden in and it's a really good combo but the rear end I chose has a 7.625 inch ring and pinion which offers few ratios. I went with a 3.08 and tested it in the Kiomeche Mountains in SE Oklahoma. Not an A plus but a good solid B. Not all was lost because I learned to NEVER EVER use a gear/cable type speedometer again in this lifetime. The $60 gps speedo doesn't care what transmission, rear end, or tire size your running it's dead accurate. Have a drawer full of drive-driven gears and a wall full of different length cables which can rot down with the building if they wait on me to use them.

• Like 2