Replacing Dash Pad Pro's & Con's

awk409ak

Hi All,

Please no one get offended by my questions.  I know there ones who repair dash pad and ones that sell used dash pads.  I few questions on dash pads.  1.  is it better to have a dash restored with new vinyl. I would think the new vinyl is of a better vinyl and might be more resistance to the weathering (sun heat), but may not match the original color and  vinyl texture.  2.  64-65 original pad that is in good condition with no signs of cracks.  Color would be perfect or near perfect.  Texture would be perfect.  How about the durability, will it last, it already 55 years old.  Can the old one still be treated to keep it nice.  Open for discussion.🤔☺️

Art

Just don't use anything with silicones in it. In other words - stay away from Armor-Al.  I had one dash recovered once and the vinyl was glued to the dash.  As the old cracks started to enlarge, they tore the new vinyl.  Take the advice of others as they've done it.  Recovering is not one of those options (IMHO)

Keep the original. Life all depends how much it was kept out of sun over its life. If it made it this far with no cracks it likely will make it many years the way most classics are used today. I’d never Re-skin a nice original. They just never look like originals once redone

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)
  • Like 1