new DS7 Crossback pub 2019

sebastienbuick

The last Citroen I remember being officially sold in North America was the 1973 SM, which held on a year after the DS/ID series.  Surprisingly, the CS was never certified for the North American market.  Most of the later sales brochures were produced in the USA, including the 1973 SM brochure with 'A Harmony of Opposites' on the cover.  The 1972 SM brochure for Canada, where the six Cibie headlamps were used was the rather famous photo-heavy one which won several advertising and presentation awards for its dramatic nighttime-shots around France and high-speed action photography.

Craig

• Like 1

yes, we know the DS, although not everyone knows the pun ( the letters "DS" pronounced in French sound like the word for goddess).  I saw a DS21 sedan and a Chapron convertible at a recent meet.  The CX that followed is very rarely seen. Deux Chevaux have a small cult following. The models in between are almost never seen.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 8E45E said:

The last Citroen I remember being officially sold in North America was the 1973 SM, which held on a year after the DS/ID series.  Surprisingly, the CS was never certified for the North American market.  Most of the later sales brochures were produced in the USA, including the 1973 SM brochure with 'A Harmony of Opposites' on the cover.  The 1972 SM brochure for Canada, where the six Cibie headlamps were used was the rather famous photo-heavy one which won several advertising and presentation awards for its dramatic nighttime-shots around France and high-speed action photography.

Craig

Indeed I saw on videos and photos of citroen DS, SM and 2cv in America. I also saw that there were not many.
That's why I wonder if you know the existence of the new model Citroen, Renault and Peugeot while looking at advertising (but as it is not sold in America, there is no advertising), or in movies or travels.
For example, do you know and have already seen a DS5? or a Peugeot 308 GTI, Renault Megane, Velsatis?
Are vehicles known even if they are not sold in America?

3 hours ago, bryankazmer said:

yes, we know the DS, although not everyone knows the pun ( the letters "DS" pronounced in French sound like the word for goddess).  I saw a DS21 sedan and a Chapron convertible at a recent meet.  The CX that followed is very rarely seen. Deux Chevaux have a small cult following. The models in between are almost never seen.

Indeed you are right for the word game of the letters "DS" ;) 
Are there citroen Traction (15, 11, ...) in America ?

There are a few Traction Avants, but again rare.  I see an occasional Peugeot 404 or 504. A very few Fuegos were sold here - they completely missed the mark in the US market for sporty coupes.  R5, R9, R11 were sold here under different names but were not much prized to be preserved

To me, the rear design of the Valsatis is Aztek-level ugly - no sense of line or proportion.

Smaller European cars here need to compete against the Japanese designed but North American-built compacts, and are usually at both a cost and reliability reputation disadvantage (that last one is hard for the Germans to swallow).

13 minutes ago, sebastienbuick said:

Indeed I saw on videos and photos of citroen DS, SM and 2cv in America. I also saw that there were not many.
That's why I wonder if you know the existence of the new model Citroen, Renault and Peugeot while looking at advertising (but as it is not sold in America, there is no advertising), or in movies or travels.
For example, do you know and have already seen a DS5? or a Peugeot 308 GTI, Renault Megane, Velsatis?
Are vehicles known even if they are not sold in America?

Peugeot is scheduled to start importing to North America again in 2023.  Most likely, the 508, or its successor by that time.

I read a lot of English magazines, so I do know what the cars are.  Currently, as close as one gets here is to Renault.  I believe the Nissan line of NV commercial vans sold here are Renault-based, and some of the Nissan cars platforms and components are shared with Renault.

Craig

17 hours ago, bryankazmer said:

There are a few Traction Avants, but again rare.  I see an occasional Peugeot 404 or 504. A very few Fuegos were sold here - they completely missed the mark in the US market for sporty coupes.  R5, R9, R11 were sold here under different names but were not much prized to be preserved

To me, the rear design of the Valsatis is Aztek-level ugly - no sense of line or proportion.

Smaller European cars here need to compete against the Japanese designed but North American-built compacts, and are usually at both a cost and reliability reputation disadvantage (that last one is hard for the Germans to swallow).

Agree, the R5, ..., are collectible for a little while in France. And renault Fuego begins to be sought, especially the fuego Turbo like this one in photo
1541435971_b379a634c9f3c521ed05e65f00e5c0f51.jpg.2a8d3cebdff4a1b42aafedc52dcd2d55.jpg

I am the Velsatis for an example, and that is not really successful.
In the same style there is also the "Avantime", which is rather a renault Espace serie 4 bigger.
The French brands also made big minivan such as renault Espace 1, Espace 2, Espace 3, Espace 4, Espace 5 (Scenic)
The renault Espace 1 was futuristic at the time, renault was inspired by the high-speed train (TGV).
There are also the Peugeot 806, 807 (my parents have a 807), ...

17 hours ago, 8E45E said:

Peugeot is scheduled to start importing to North America again in 2023.  Most likely, the 508, or its successor by that time.

I read a lot of English magazines, so I do know what the cars are.  Currently, as close as one gets here is to Renault.  I believe the Nissan line of NV commercial vans sold here are Renault-based, and some of the Nissan cars platforms and components are shared with Renault.

Craig

Yes indeed you are surely right.
I also heard that Peugeot can be selling vehicles in America in a few years.
Renault built a pickup truck 4 or 5 years ago, it was a very long time since renault had not made a pick-up, and we start to see it rolling in France.

What do you think of the new models of French cars?

16 minutes ago, sebastienbuick said:

In the same style there is also the "Avantime", which is rather a renault Espace serie 4 bigger.

The only pillarless hardtop MPV ever made...so far!!  

I like it best between the 'A' pillar and the 'C' pillar, but the front and rear ends are a little 'odd'.

Craig

• Like 1

I have little use for any maker's minivan/CUV line - these are not cars deigned for the driver.  The poor physics of the center of gravity come through.

The Peugeot 508 looks interesting, good flow of line.  It's now a small niche market in North America but European makes are well positioned for the remaining station wagon/break customers.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bryankazmer said:

It's now a small niche market in North America but European makes are well positioned for the remaining station wagon/break customers.

The 508 wagon/break is the one I particularly like right now.  I really appreciate how they maintained the same taillight treatment as the sedan's without compromise.

Craig

• Like 1

My father had an ID-19 between a Karmann-Ghia and a Merc 250C. No jack, just a stand and used the air suspension to raise the wheel. Column shift 4-speed manual and 4th (OD) would sing to you. Very trouble-free.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, bryankazmer said:

I have little use for any maker's minivan/CUV line - these are not cars deigned for the driver.  The poor physics of the center of gravity come through.

The Peugeot 508 looks interesting, good flow of line.  It's now a small niche market in North America but European makes are well positioned for the remaining station wagon/break customers.

What is good with minivan is that there is room.
My mother is nurturing (she babysit), and she needs a big car, that's why she has a Peugeot 807.
The Peugeot 508 is a beautiful car, like the peugeot 308.

For 3 or 4 years, people started to buy the peugeot 406 coupe of the year 2000 to keep them, because it was designed by "Pinifarina", like the 504 at the time

905152603_S0-modele--peugeot-406-coupe1.thumb.jpg.59c11710f96cb5489083f95d588f113e.jpg

349216148_Retromobile-011.thumb.jpg.3432b104978da9336fa80d67bc9e74ec.jpg

16 hours ago, padgett said:

My father had an ID-19 between a Karmann-Ghia and a Merc 250C. No jack, just a stand and used the air suspension to raise the wheel. Column shift 4-speed manual and 4th (OD) would sing to you. Very trouble-free.

Yes it's true you're right, and in the old advertising they showed that she could ride even on 3 wheels

2 hours ago, sebastienbuick said:

For 3 or 4 years, people started to buy the peugeot 406 coupe of the year 2000 to keep them, because it was designed by "Pinifarina", like the 504 at the time

As Peugeot was the first with a marketable retractable hardtop with the 402B Eclipse Decopatable, it was fitting they had several C-C models in the 1990's and 2000's.

Interestingly, they made a four-door version, the 407 Macerena by Huliez:  

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 2:38 PM, 8E45E said:

As Peugeot was the first with a marketable retractable hardtop with the 402B Eclipse Decopatable, it was fitting they had several C-C models in the 1990's and 2000's.

Interestingly, they made a four-door version, the 407 Macerena by Huliez:  

I know very well the peugeot 407 but I did not know this concept "Macarena" ;) 
A neighbor had bought the Peugeot 407 coupe when she had just gone out, she was beautiful ;) 

670914726_104214861.jpg.291492fdff3107bcd2e3d5d0a860c7fa.jpg

The peugeot 407 was also used in the film taxi 4 and taxi 5 (French film)

and he also had the peugeot 406 used for the movies taxi 1, taxi 2 and taxi 3

Here are some movie clips