Buick35

Just wondering

Pie are NOT square! Pie are ROUND! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Depends on the shape of the pan.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 7:28 AM, Buick35 said:

Sometimes thoughts come to me at night and here's a strange or silly one . If a car starts out for a drive and it's valve stems are at exactly in the six o clock position when you return and park it at the exact same spot would the valve stems still be at 6 o clock? Weird I know.

Weld the spider gears in your rear differential together, and you'll know why when you make your first turn!!

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I learned 1/4 PI x d squared. A one inch circle has an area of .7854. When you work with pipes and holes it makes things quicker.

image.thumb.png.8984fba7dae8224a7030f7d19a0e9510.png

• Like 1

8 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

Interesting. I was taught pie r squared. I know it’s the same, just never saw it expressed as 2 pie r.

(Don’t have the proper pie or squared keys on my phone). 

When I need an odd symbol of some sort, I type the key words into Google and there it is.  Just copy and paste to your text.  In this case, that's exactly what I did.  But you could have just copied the "π" from the text that you were quoting.  

BTW,  "c = 2 π r"  looked odd to me too, so I asked Mr. Google to double check for me.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Real Steel said:

When I need an odd symbol of some sort, I type the key words into Google and there it is.  Just copy and paste to your text.  In this case, that's exactly what I did.

All of those symbols are in your computer.  YOU just have to learn how to find them.  With practice they are quicker than Google/

11 hours ago, lump said:

I recall reading about one of those famous old time movie producers who was a fanatic for little details in his films. It was said that he would have crew members jack up a car that was about to be in a scene in which it rolled up in a driveway for a dramatic entrance by the star(s) of the film. He insisted that the wheels should end up with both hubcaps on that side of the car being oriented so that the name on the hubcaps should be exactly level and right-reading. The article that I read said this was harder than it sounds, and it took many takes to get it right...much to the annoyance of the some of the rest of the film crew. 

This may have been Cecile B. DeMille...but I'm not sure. 

Wonder if the car company paid him to do this. If it was me I would jack up the car and orient the hub caps, place small stones in front of each front  tire, just large enough for the driver to feel, then very slowly back the car out of frame and just a slowly drive it forward. Cut, put the actors in the car, shoot the scene, speed up the film in the first part so it looks natural.

1 hour ago, Tinindian said:

All of those symbols are in your computer.  YOU just have to learn how to find them.  With practice they are quicker than Google/

And that's a good point too.  I don't find either method faster though, and Google definitely has many more characters, at least compared to my vintage Win-7.

Boy, is this off the topic or what??  My bad.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tinindian said:

True but not always on a phone. 

Did you realize that the circumference is the derivative of the area with respect to r?

And that the surface area of a sphere is equal to the derivative of the volume of a sphere with respect to r?

Well the volume of a sphere is 4 π r3/3 so the area (first derivative) is 4 π r2.

π = ascii 227

For a circle 2 π r is the circumference,  π r2 is the surface area. If going to use the diameter then π d or π (d/2)2

I remember questions like this from grade school math and the question seems to be missing the important determining factor of what direction the wind was blowing when the car left the driveway.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Mikefit said:

My reply is pie is round and not square also pie is good warn out of the oven.

Indeed you are correct sir, when it's square, it’s cobbler. 

@padgett, you remember all too much from geometry and algebra classes. 😂 I used to be very good, had algebra I in 7th grade with seniors in my class, then later more advanced classes. You know what they say, “Use it or loose it!”

609CBAD0-03B3-4415-AD4C-83A3D81085A5.png

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)

If norse is norse and souse is souse then never the trains will meet.

ps haven't used eigen values or the Euler equations for a long time but remember those for laminar flow through carbs (Bernoulli & Venturi). Of course 2bbls are measured at a higher flow drop than 4bbls.

3 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

Indeed you are correct sir, when it's square, it’s cobbler. 

@padgett, you remember all too much from geometry and algebra classes. 😂 I used to be very good, had algebra I in 7th grade with seniors in my class, then later more advanced classes. You know what they say, “Use it or loose it!”

609CBAD0-03B3-4415-AD4C-83A3D81085A5.png

I loved geometry, hated algebra and calculus was a love hate relationship with disturbing dreams about differentiating equations.  Round or square, I've never had a bad dream about eating pie or cobbler, even when they are on the same plate. Its all good.

• Like 1

Well then. ..that answers that.

Ask a silly question, and get a, well...you know.

I'll be leaving now to play with my stem.

But you haven’t answered the question!

. At a Show n Shine, what is the preferred angle of the valve stem for judging?

Is it 0 degrees pointing to ground, 90 degrees pointing to front, 180 degrees pointing up or 270 degrees pointing to the rear. Or are mid points of the compass acceptable?

These stems are obviously out out of synch, but we were on a trip, not a show. 😀😀😀😀😀😀

4AD53B90-67D1-4DA4-AA70-FFA118CEAB45.png

12E8F462-4E31-4BC2-A187-79FB2103A595.png

Edited by rodneybeauchamp
Better picture (see edit history)

On 10/24/2019 at 2:00 PM, lump said:

Pie are NOT square! Pie are ROUND! 

Pi are the Greek letter for P.  Some English guy decided to use it to stand for Perimeter when he was calculating circles.  It are for round stuff.

• Like 1