Under 16 people in junkyards?

BrassEraAuto

Does anyone know of any junkyards that allow kids under 16 to go into? Especially in Colorado. I'm a 15 year old living in Littleton which is just outside of Denver and I just really want to go barn find hunting like Tom Cotter. (I like his show by the way, check out "Barn Find Hunter" if your interested). The only junkyard that I've gotten to go into was Tom Tom's Volkswagen Museum in Moab, Utah. It's more of a junkyard then a museum so I don't know why they decided to call it that. Also I like Volkswagens so that's probably why they let me in there in the first place. I'm more into pre-war American cars now though. Anyways if you know any junkyards that allow under 16 people in then please tell me.

• Like 1

The issue is liability.  At 16 you are a minor in the eyes of the legal world.  Most of the junkyards today, especially the u pull it kind have you signing a liability waiver saying you know the risks and assume liability for your actions.  At 16 you cannot legally sign this document and have it stand up in court.  You may need a parent/ guardian along with you to enter the junkyard.  If you have an adult that will accompany you they might entertain your request.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

I'm thinking if you presented yourself at the office/entrance, looked the persons in charge in the eye, and explained why you were interested in entering and/or what you were looking for they would be glad to help you. At least I would.............Bob

And call them salvage yards, instead of junk yards. Owner will like that. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BrassEraAuto said:

Does anyone know of any junkyards that allow kids under 16 to go into? Especially in Colorado. I'm a 15 year old living in Littleton which is just outside of Denver and I just really want to go barn find hunting like Tom Cotter. (I like his show by the way, check out "Barn Find Hunter" if your interested). The only junkyard that I've gotten to go into was Tom Tom's Volkswagen Museum in Moab, Utah. It's more of a junkyard then a museum so I don't know why they decided to call it that. Also I like Volkswagens so that's probably why they let me in there in the first place. I'm more into pre-war American cars now though. Anyways if you know any junkyards that allow under 16 people in then please tell me.

Keep in mind that salvage yard owners lose LOTS of valuable inventory to thieves and vandals. And often the damage gets blamed on kids...rightly or wrongly. I've taken my sons to yards here in Ohio many times. But the first necessary point is to make it clear and believable to the operator that I am here to search for parts that I might want to buy, and to snap photos. I make it clear that I will not leave any hoods or doors open, or remove ANYTHING from the lot without their permission. Usually this works. Then my sons and I walk in.

It really helps too, if you find something interesting, to ask the yard operator how much, etc. Then, if the price is reasonable, to buy it. Now they know you are for real.

I have also often come up to the office and mentioned something helpful to them...IE: perhaps that I saw a set of keys on the ground by a car and verified that the keys did fit that car, so I have labeled them and brought them to the office. Yard operators soon realize that I am not there to cause harm or steal anything.

On a subsequent trip, I bring copies of photos I have taken, and offer to share this info with other collectors who may want to buy something. 

After a while, it is easy for me to enter, with or without my kids (who are now grown)

Some places don't allow anybody inside except employees, other places do. Never heard of anyone being 'carded' if you look half ways sensible  you should be allowed in if anybody is. The older, rural, traditional junkyard type places usually let customers wander around and take off their own parts. Modern, efficient places don't. Those places don't have any interesting old cars anyway.

It helps if you are looking for something specific.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

Am I incorrect or weren't more  "junk yards" around until a President's wife ("Lady Bird " Johnson) decided to clean up the USA landscape and a lot of older yards just disappeared in the name of beautifying the country side?  The best junk yard I ever went to was Bill's Junk Yard in Valley Falls, Rhode Island. Drove up there with 2 friends in my 41 Packard station wagon in 4+ hours of rain in about 1974 ( we had trouble getting out of the wagon as the wood doors swelled up tight, so we climbed out over the seats to the tail gate window to exit) That place was hub cap to hub cap pre war cars, with a whole row of Packards. Lots of parts they took off in a huge building attached to the office. Those were the days ( of great junk yards and using pre war cars for general transportation on "excursions" to explore) Makes me think that a 1974 car which was new when we were doing this, is now older then the car we drove then to do the trip . Wow I am getting old, have been doing this a long time. ( I know there are some friends of mine reading this that are thinking - you were always ' old ' Walt , it is just that your physical state has caught up to your mental state.) Hummmmmmmmm

• Haha 1

Used to be able to find lots of little “mom and pop” junkyards in the PA coal regions where I grew up.  A few survived into the 1980s then disappeared as rules governing the disposal of hazardous materials made running them more difficult.  Now salvage yards are big business for disposal of late model wrecks and making sure lots of usable parts are available.  When I was working in Baja Mexico I saw had junkyards that reminded me of my youth.  I often wondered how bad a car had to be to be scrapped in Mexico based on the cars I saw on the road.

• Haha 1

The 1941 wagon I had was a 120 eight cylinder, with overdrive. Car had no trouble going down the road at any speed. I currently have a 1936 a std 8 club sedan that will be sold ( nice/great car but my stamina is not what it was to do a lot) and a 1930 733 touring car. My stable of 3 pre WWII cars has to be reduced to two. ( 30 Packard and 40 Buick). I like to drive my old cars ( day or night) , never had any interest in seeking a trophy or judging. A friend from England who visited me with his wife and we went to Hershey in 1988 told me as we watched a LaSalle sedan drive by there " old cars are best viewed when in motion" I totally agree with that - be it standing and looking at one pass by or being in one going down the road. We all have the cars for our own reasons.

• Like 1

Back in the 1950's-60's I got a few parts from "Midnight Auto".  My age was not a factor since no one ever asked. I'm sure "Midnight Auto" sites can still be found but owners can be very unfriendly. It would be wise to bring a chunk of meat from the butcher to calm the dog that might greet you.

There is still one junk yard (or salvage yard, if you prefer) here in Ohio with lots of early iron. Most of it is pretty darn rusty, but I have found a few nice parts there. 

One time my brother in law and I went there together, taking each of us taking one of our sons...about age 10, I think. We let the kids look under seats and in trunks for lost change, old toys, etc, for a while. But then we heard them playing some game, and yelling. When we went to investigate, they were playing cops n robbers or something, pretending to be shooting at each other. And what were they using for "guns?" Vintage gas pump nozzles...one each. They were nickel-plated brass, with hooks on the backside. I asked the boys where they got them, and they lead me to a bucket full of nice, older nozzles. I ended up buying them all for $4 apiece. 

The funny thing was that I had passed by that bucket on many occasions, as had other "treasure hunters." It was only the natural curiosity of young kids that ever made the discovery. I was glad that this particular yard allowed me to bring my under-16 companions! 

DSCN4703.JPG

DSCN4697.JPG

17 hours ago, Lebowski said:

That '58 Edsel has definitely seen better days.... :(

Actually, I believe it is a '58 Pontiac. But you're right. It is rough as a cobb.

Many of the cars here are really rough like that. Most of the sheet metal has long ago rusted away beyond the point of reasonable restoration. Yet only about 10 years ago an older gentleman I know came here and bought the transmission and all the necessary parts to change over his '49 Packard convertible to a manual shift. There are still goodies to be found there.