keiser31

Yep....this guy got fired for climbing on show cars....

Not sure if I mention this before in another post, but when I did my first restoration, black '69 Impala - a 14 year restoration, I rented a open trailer and took it to it's first major car show up in Vermont. Long story short, the following day I check all the tie-downs to make sure everything was secured for our trip home and that's when I noticed it -  someone went down the driver's side and over the trunk lid with their hands, leaving a scratch in the clear coat, probably from their wedding band. Another lesson learn....

Steve

Photo File #1 063.JPG

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

I had one person ask if his blind father could use his hands to visualize my car. I spent a good fifteen minutes with him helping him to see my car. 

I wonder if he uses the same ploy at strip clubs?

😉

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, GregLaR said:

I wonder if he uses the same ploy at strip clubs?

😉

That’s the only place I’m “blind”. At least that’s what I tell the wife, “I didn’t notice anything!”

• Haha 1

More proof a TV is NOT a babysitter for kids!

Craig

I am pretty generous about letting people sit in the rat rod, especially kids for photo ops.

Even let Elvis sit in it.

The nicer cars not so much.

28 Dodge project 027.jpg

IM002158.JPG

20150603_185606.jpg

20140906_162624.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, STEVE POLLARD said:

Not sure if I mention this before in another post, but when I did my first restoration, black '69 Impala - a 14 year restoration, I rented a open trailer and took it to it's first major car show up in Vermont. Long story short, the following day I check all the tie-downs to make sure everything was secured for our trip home and that's when I noticed it -  someone went down the driver's side and over the trunk lid with their hands, leaving a scratch in the clear coat, probably from their wedding band. Another lesson learn....

Steve

I want to get a nice paint job on my wagon, but my neighbor told me something that makes me cautious; He has a nicely restored Camaro, but rarely shows it  because he's heard of local kids scratching, "Nice Car" in beautiful paint jobs with keys. 

• Like 1

I don't doubt these experiences, but I have to say that not once in more than 40 years of doing this have I ever seen anyone do anything remotely akin to what's described by others in this thread, let alone had it happen to me. The closest I can come is when I was a little kid and one of my buddies thought the fender of our Model A looked like a neat slide. He only did it once, and I told him not to. But never at a show and the general public that interacts with us is always respectful and appropriate. Like I said, I don't doubt these stores (and the guy in the video is proof that disrespectful idiots exist) but I have zero experience with any incidents beyond light finger touching or the random lean-on-a-fender guy. Even in our showroom where people feel and act a little differently because the cars are for sale, visitors are almost universally respectful--they often ask if they can take pictures.

• Like 4

There are folks in all walks of life that do not think or do not care, or both.  I owned my own Tractor-trailer  when I was hauling furniture, moving folks, cross country.  I had just bought a new trailer to the tune of around $40,000.    A helper placed a set of bed rails against the side.  He was not happy when I moved them across the street and placed them against the trunk of his cameo.  I showed as much respect for his stuff as he did mine.

Ben

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

We always invited kids to sit in our car's that went way to far,I love it when they take pictures

2 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

I don't doubt these experiences, but I have to say that not once in more than 40 years of doing this have I ever seen anyone do anything remotely akin to what's described by others in this thread, let alone had it happen to me. The closest I can come is when I was a little kid and one of my buddies thought the fender of our Model A looked like a neat slide. He only did it once, and I told him not to. But never at a show and the general public that interacts with us is always respectful and appropriate. Like I said, I don't doubt these stores (and the guy in the video is proof that disrespectful idiots exist) but I have zero experience with any incidents beyond light finger touching or the random lean-on-a-fender guy. Even in our showroom where people feel and act a little differently because the cars are for sale, visitors are almost universally respectful--they often ask if they can take pictures.

I'm sure there are stark differences in the way people respect other people's property in, say, the Midwest and Calif.

Wasn't an issue many years ago here in Calif.

Last decade or so it has definitely become an issue.

I have allowed many people to sit in my cars who have politely asked if they could do so.

Having someone climb into the Rickenbacker is not so much an issue as the interior has been redone over the years.

The Pierce, however, still has the original '29 interior so I am a little more hesitant to allow people to just jump in.

I am always friendly and answer any questions anyone may have.

But it is the ten percent or so that ruin it for everyone else.

Edited by zepher (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I know someone who received a selfie of a friends wife sitting on the fender of an antique 1966 Austin Mini in Alberta.

He said you should not be doing that it is someone else's property.

They were both shocked that it would offend the owner of the car if the owner saw it.

The husband is in his 60's and with a high income career. So much for older people knowing more manners than younger people.

Edited by Mark Gregory (see edit history)

As my late father used to say, “There are far more horses’ asses than there are horses”.

This elitist jerk got what he deserved.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, old car fan said:

We always invited kids to sit in our car's that went way to far,I love it when they take pictures

I have allowed younger children to sit inside my truck if they asked, as I'm standing right there next to it.  

I did mention it previously, I did have a father of a young child who was actually angry with me for 'giving in' to his son's request, as he explained to me that he didn't want him touching anyone's cars at the show'n'shine.  I firmly told him I didn't 'give in', and explained his son is the future of the hobby, and I was willing to accommodate as his interest was there.

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Personally, I don’t mind letting people into my 1930 Lasalle. It’s when I come back and people are in the car holding my replica Tommy Gun and wearing my Fedora without asking first that upsets me. I drive my cars and use them as they were intended but try to protect them as much as possible. When I go to the grocery store or Home Depot, I park way away from any other car. I can’t tell you how many times I come back and there is a car parked right next to me. Once a car was so close, I could t open my drivers door wide enough to get in! I had to get in from the passenger side. I thought about waiting for the persons return but I don’t need the aggravation of talking to someone who has such lack of respect. Another time when I returned to the car there was a guy repeatedly slamming my door. I yelled at him to stop and asked him What The F#*¥ Are You Doing?? He said that after he got out of the car, the door would t close right...he was just trying to help me out!  

That all said, I still like using my car and enjoy the compliments it generates. 

I had a young girl break my wind wing glass when she pulled herself up on to the running board.  Luckily the glass was laminated so there was no danger of cute.  Not the girl's fault.  The parents stood and watched and then walked away.  Children (and adults) learn what they see and hear.

• Like 1

Here's a clearer video of the thoughtless reporter

climbing on the cars.  Some car owners would be

tempted to slam this reporter to the ground;  but he

evidently IS a budding car fan, and with some proper

education, and instruction in etiquette, he could

some day become an antique-car owner himself

who would treat cars properly.

He sort of forgot - "it is not his and you need to ask" - I assume if he wants to interview someone he just walks into their house, office, car, or ... and sits down and plops his feet up on their furniture, desk, dash, or ... - sorry it does not work that way nor ever will. 

By the way, his attitude was way off too - sort of deliberately dis-respectful verses just did not know better 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 3

I am reminded of the stories old guys tell about working in service stations during the 1930's depression. They hung around with nothing to do and would help pick up and deliver cars for oil changes. I have heard many stories about beating the baker's big expensive car while delivering it.

Once I looked at a nice 60 Special Cadillac that had all the glass broken and body scratched up. I heard in a local diner that the neighbors vandalized the car because "it was too nice to be in their neighborhood".

There seems to be more of that attitude growing these days. It is not unconscious action.

If you have it and I don't, you must have taken it from me, that's the way I heard it.

Bernie (the one from western New York)

The President from the local chapter of an antique car club lives on the same block as my parents.  I drove the Studebaker to my folks house one Saturday to  pay a visit . I was sitting in the kitchen, and I heard doors slamming on the  Champion. I went out side to find the President of the car club sitting in the Studie . I asked him why was he sitting  in the car, and he said, " I knew you wouldn't mind, cause you know how I love old cars." I said '"I wish you would ask me first!" He got out of the car and slammed the door, smiled and said, "I love the sound of an old car door when it slams. They don't make them like that anymore!" He still wants to know why I won't join the local chapter. John

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

I understand what you are saying, but in this case, It is better for me to keep my distance from him.

If a person that does not care about people is a sociopath, what is someone who does not care about property ?

Since we're telling stories about inconsiderate people, here's mine.

At a Florida West Coast AACA Region show in the 1970's,  I displayed my 1934 ford Tudor with a metal 3 flag holder secured under the

Greyhound hood ornement.  A judge I will forever call A-- H--- came by while I was away from the car.   He decided that he would open the

hood to see the flathead V8.  When He did, the hood lifted the flag holder up, gouging the paint and knocking the Greyhound to the

pavement breaking off the the front leg of the Greyhound.

When I heard what happened, I confronted A-- H--- and was told I should have left my hood open.  That spoiled local AACA Regions for me

for 20 years.  A-- H--- became the president of the Region in Tampa and I'll never forgive him.  I don't blame AACA because A-- H---s are

everywhere and the other people I've met in this club are super people an have become lifetime friends.  DO NOT TOUCH OR JUDGE.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sorry for the loss of your flags and Greyhound. A-H-- sounds like a cheap one if he didn't buy you a replacement. Bob 

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I know the chapter of the local antique car club John S. told about. That club seems to have always had a population of "we are the best " attitude and even inside the club itself you have to belong to one of the clicks ( ie important "in crowd") to be one of the "favored ones". I first went to several monthly meetings of that particular chapter in the 1960s, but even as a teenager just could not stand the "BETTER THEN THOU" attitude.

Some people just have to feel they are important so are allowed to do whatever they want and we should all accept it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1