just me

Does your wife, significant other, help in the garage?

after reading this thread..................

apparently I need a new wife!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Haha 1

My wife gets called to the garage once in a while. She’s got the most skilled little hands. She does so much work with them, yet they are so small. Her hands fit in tight spots where I cannot gain access. She’s started impossible bolts for me. Picked up lost tools and other parts too.  She has no issues climbing up, over, under anything I am working on. When she helped me change a cylinder head gasket when I was 20, I knew she was a keeper. That was 28 years ago.  Since then she’s help me lift up and line up transmissions, pull engines, hold up mufflers, line up almost anything you can think of. She has no idea what she’s looking at, what it does, or how to fix it, but she does exactly what I request. A great helper and life partner.  I’m a very fortunate man. 

She’s up for anything. 

279FC596-4027-43BD-AEA0-334C4AC6FC39.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My wife knows nothing about cars other then putting gas in the tank and does not like working in my garage. but will hold a part or a light if needed.

I normally go to sprint car races every Friday night from March thru October and she is not a fan of most auto racing either, but she now watches Formula 1 races on TV with me and has some favorite drivers (Kimi Raikkonen, Daniel Ricciardo, Romain Grosjean).  Said she will go with me next year to the Belgian Grand Prix at Spa Francorchamps.  I guess I am making progress.

Help in the garage, not so much but she is interested in the hobby and really likes our sub-hobby of gas & oil collectibles.  She has a very good eye for smalls and understands collector grade vs. Mediocre stuff.  The pink hot rod is an ebay find, and came in the original box with brochure.  She had to have it!  

20190731_173952.jpg

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 2

My wife is ten years younger than me and will help me when I need another set of hands (she only does light stuff though) or will sit in a big comfortable office chair I have in the garage and keep me company often reading a book or using her I pad. Often though she’s in the house as she loves to cook homemade meals, clean the house, and even hang out our clothes. She doesn’t spend much money on frivolous things and doesn’t complain when I buy tools or stuff for whatever vehicle I’m working on. She’s not big on sitting at car shows but this year very much enjoyed Hershey and the attention our 32’ Olds convertible got. It won its first junior and whenthey announced my name, she said to me it’s all been worth it. When we were walking the car corral earlier in the week she said “no more cars for a while” and I told her there was only one more car I wanted, a 61’ vette because I was born in 61’. She asked what one looked like and we found a 62’ that was blue with white coves. She stepped back from it, looked at me and said “I like it!”

• Like 3

Wife of 49 years knows the name of every tool and 95% of the parts. Washes the towels, cloth fender covers and anything else reusable. Keeps the floor swept, rest room cleaned and stocked on supplies and at 4' 10" and 81 pounds she can do many things with her whole body that I can barely fit an arm or leg into. How many helpers can sit upright on the floor pan and work with both hands on anything under the dash. Does very nice wood grain work in various grain patterns. Spots errors and gems at shows but doesn't comment till we're back home. Was a lot of work to put an automatic transmission, a-c, plus power assists in the old 37 Buick so she could drive it (with spacer blocks on the brake and gas pedal) but she is worth it. No kids so cars have been our "babies".

• Like 1

Congratulations to all of you on so many successful marriages. 

I've got nobody...maybe I should have answered that spam pm last week? 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 10/22/2019 at 12:06 AM, nick8086 said:

IMG_6500.JPG

It's a Pulse, a rare 80s car. 366 produced.

There's one on display at the MotorcyclePedia museum in Newburgh, NY, where I took this photo earlier this year.

201915505-vi.jpg

Here is a picture two years later of the same car.. I was at a car show with the darrin jr..

My wife enjoys the cars.. But not a big fan after I vapor locked one at a 4th of July parade..back in the 90's.. 

100.JPG

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Been married to my wife for over 47 years and when we were just teens, we would go to junk yards and look at cars and gather parts for mine LOL.  She has helped me with every car we have ever worked on and we still look for wrecking yards - now that we are retired - as we travel.  I couldn't ask for more and wouldn't change a thing.

• Like 3

Congratulations to all of you on so many successful marriages. 

I've got nobody...maybe I should have answered that spam pm last week? 

be careful of those "foreign models".....................

very hard to get parts for. Mine is from Poland and Im getting tired of Begos........................

ham and potatoes again?????????????????????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I never married, and not sorry I didn't.  WAY too many horror stories out there!!

I still have my house, garage, and ALL my cars and trucks!

Craig

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 8E45E said:

I never married, and not sorry I didn't.  WAY too many horror stories out there!!

You obviously didn't read all of the other responses in this thread. A lot of your personality has to do with your attitude. With your negative attitude it's no wonder that no woman would marry you.... :(

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am also a bachelor in paradise.

I get a girlfriend once in awhile, but just cant see someone else in my space after all these years.

Congrats to all of those successes, I sometimes envy.

But not for very long.

• Haha 1

My wife of 44 years passed away a year ago.  The only time I could get her in the garage was to help bleed brakes which she hated doing.  She indulged me in my hobby though.  We had a "Don't ask, don't tell" policy when it came to what I was spending on my cars.  She did enjoy going to most car club events for the social aspects.  

My "Chapter 2" lady friend says she would love going to car shows with me.  Her late husband was a diesel mechanic.  I may have hit the jackpot with this one.

• Like 2

I believe many are happy being single because most have things in their life that keep them busy. As we get older and we can do less physically, I believe the relationship of a good partner would come into play and it’s importance. I love my many hobbies but find hugging my cars, my RC planes, firearms, wood working equipment, etc., just isn’t that great. Sleeping with them doesn’t work either but I have been known to sleep with a gun! I suppose you can sleep with your dog or cat but we won’t go there.

• Like 2

I hope if I ever start dating again, and that’s a real if with all I’ve been through, that I find a guy with a garage. I don’t mind hanging out in them, I’m just not very helpful aside from finding a socket or whatnot. 😆

• Like 2

She doesn't come out in my garage but I sit under the Japanese maple in her garden. My daughter gave me the chair for Christmas. I call it my melanoma chair.

007.thumb.JPG.60b73ca4c8b9a51ccab5df71b016bf9e.JPG

Notice there is only one chair. Works great that way.

I can spend three days doing a "killer" detail job on my wife's car and she never says a word. 53 years. I guess "it is what it is".

• Sad 2

Closing in on 47 years of marriage, and she helps in the garage just as I do in the kitchen - when asked for a hand with something! 

My honey likes to go to junkyards with me or for that matter, any car event. She can now spot many MoPars and it amazes me what she has learned.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, knee-action said:

I can spend three days doing a "killer" detail job on my wife's car and she never says a word. 53 years. I guess "it is what it is".

My other half thinks cars are just transportation.

Nothing more, nothing less.

She doesn't really understand my emotional attachment to my Grandfather's car and my Dad's car.

But she has never really said anything negative about my car hobby so I guess that is good.

She has expressed interest in 1st gen Mustangs but as a long time Chevy guy I'm not sure I could get rid of one of my '64s for a Mustang.

• Like 1

My Problem no one in the family  knows how to drive  a manual transmission.. My wife hates this..

45000.JPG.4d2ac5fb741465f30826c5b9f3028a25.JPG

IMG_2943(1).JPG

IMG_3022.JPG

IMG_2982.JPG

IMG_2190.JPG

IMG_2023.JPG

IMG_2206.JPG

IMG_2210.JPG

IMG_0744.JPG

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)
  • Like 1