1926 star

Randy Spence

I am working on gathering all the info I need  so when I am ready to post it on here. But just wanted to put the feelers out here.   Any one looking for a 26 Star.? Runs and drives.  I will post pictures in a sale post as soon as I figure out the hows.  Im a bit tech challenged in that area.  I will keep checking back here untill I get ready to post  it. 

9 minutes ago, Randy Spence said:

Yes I know you need more info Im working on that as I said. I was putting the feelers out.  It is in central Iowa . It is my dads its a Mail carriers style body ???  all wood body.  Still trying to figure how to price one when there isnt one to compare it to 

Hi Randy ! And welcome to AACA forums ! Sure, you are in exactly the right place to begin. You will catch on pretty quickly. Tech challenged  ? I am about the king of that realm around here. I would compare the challenge I have to what Michael Spinks faced when he went up against "Iron Mike"  Tyson. Remember that one ? Tyson KO'd him in just under 2 minutes of the first round. I warned the kid sitting next to me not to blink. He dropped something from his seat, bent over to pick it up at just the moment Tyson laid Spinks out ! That being a good example of the challenge I faced when I first came on board here, if I can get the hang of it, you  certainly will !

Please allow me to take this opportunity to ask you if you have access to spare Star parts. Patrick Reeve needs a starter. 

Hey now ! I see you catch on quickly ! Took much longer for me. I am 75 years old, but feel like a fairly healthy 90 year old on the better days.    Again glad to meet you and that unique old Star here !     -    Carl 

• Like 2

C carl you are my dads age. he just sold off his acrage and moved into town as his health required it. IM about 400 miles from him. I know a man went up from central lower Missouri and got a couple fenders and  I dont know what else.  I advertised that for him and also a 27 star frame to the man in Missouri  

Edited by Randy Spence (see edit history)

I have been searching through google images . seen one in wikepedia , think its a museum picture but dont find another and it looks a little different.   I can remember dad telling me how he got it from a old man ( no offense ), in boxes, it was all in parts, with some pictures. The man was termally ill and asked if did would try and get it put together before he past.Dad said he did.  I know he said that it was ordered by the post office ( dont know were ) as a mail carrier vehicle .   When I was looking thru star cars for sale  I seen a steel body 26 star that sold for $22,900 . 

This has a state title . does that hurt the value You dont have to answer that

Edited by Randy Spence (see edit history)

Interesting car with an interesting story.  Rural mail carriers often outfitted their vehicles to suit their needs for the routes they covered.  They were much like independent contractors today.  A lot of left over WWI vehicles were given to the post office to use as mail transfer vehicles including motorcycles.  Model A Fords have shown up as post office mail delivery vehicles, I’ve never seen a Star as such.  Would be great if you find documents to match your car’s story.

• Like 1

The body almost looks too new to have served as a rural mail carrier. Remember, we are talking about delivering mail 6 days a week, in all types of weather, in a rural setting. Great car, but I don't think being a mail truck adds to the value unless you can get documentation. I would start with your local Historical Society or even your post office to see if they have any historical pictures. 

• Like 1

Geez, that's a nice-looking Star! The rad shell even has a Packard look to it. Don't forget to list it on the National Woody Club forum, between the Mitchell  and Packard forums...farther down on the list of AACA Forums. In the old days, when my Dad was a kid, there used to be a steep sand hill north of town called Star Hill, named because Stars were the only cars that could climb it.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2019 at 5:54 PM, TerryB said:

Interesting car with an interesting story.  Rural mail carriers often outfitted their vehicles to suit their needs for the routes they covered.  They were much like independent contractors today.  A lot of left over WWI vehicles were given to the post office to use as mail transfer vehicles including motorcycles.  Model A Fords have shown up as post office mail delivery vehicles, I’ve never seen a Star as such.  Would be great if you find documents to match your car’s story.

74664609_718380115305169_3428618507737104384_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_oc=AQkyfstipQWWIvPTKdYhaXYEkqU9INGuYJyMwedqs-a53aOlMSdkfhWxw2grb8Qy-ws&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.xx&oh=8b487f6d0bbe9b3cac979ad4fd8808dc&oe=5E58C21075339494_3293535690721620_9041894588968599552_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_oc=AQkRw4-03IxXPwUYbmTzVTO1ttS6l-QAyEOD5LYm5SjCcC4B_v7fRpl4VFdwLPrLLLI&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.xx&oh=85e35aff60c417e1eb3d88ec42cb5204&oe=5E54D47A73105401_2996208257271059_2646012927387107328_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_oc=AQkrpqE1cAO1UMd2l7Cdb1bBDOVTrNVaZsca1nEJTzoi-8vw1Qt7wHaVRIE7_bL4gUY&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.xx&oh=78570142d137c9a66a3eb3b2af976bbf&oe=5E6480F475258597_539275369977753_6761789867060887552_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_oc=AQngDo7wG6R_nh8MCf_rXqTU7xdQSvI2W9T5o73XrKkE9zPmKVefD9M1Rn_hZWYpR4o&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.xx&oh=9e024dc6afb5a93360fbe5484f222365&oe=5E594859

On 10/21/2019 at 5:14 PM, Randy Spence said:

...  Any one looking for a 26 Star? ...

Welcome to the AACA forum!

Cars in the Durant family, such as Star, Flint, Durant,

and Locomobile, do have a following.  The following

is quite modest and specialized, but someone will

surely appreciate the car.

You should know, Randy, that the market is very soft

for cars of that vintage.  So be sure to price it 

accurately (and modestly) so you can find it a 

good new home in a relatively short time.

Overpriced cars don't sell.

When you place your ad in the forum, you

should place it in the overall "Cars for Sale"

category.  Also place it in the "Durant" section,

since the few dedicated Durant collectors may be

more likely to notice it there.

All the best to you on your sale!

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

Randy   

I need to contact you on the Star --- I sold a mail truck to gentlemen -- in Iowa many years ago --- I heard he was sick but did not now who he sold it to. I also live around   Des Moines Area.---I will PM you later tonight ---   Allan  

19 hours ago, 32plywood said:

Randy       I looked at  the Durant Magazine you put up and I did sell it to John.  I lost track of the car many years ago I will call your Dad about it.   Allan

I spoke with dad shortly after you left.  I am so glad that it is your old Star. You can definitely  add to the History of this Rare Postal Star Truck.   I hope you do buy it back.  It belongs with you.

Randy          we had a very nice visit -- he is fun to talk to and we know many of the same people.  we just never had meet one on one.     my wife and I have been talking about the car most of the day she also remembers when I brought it home. Allan :)