New Riviera Owner and ROA member!

anestech*

Hi all!  My wife and I just picked up this clean 1964.  I’ve been lurking here and the ROA Facebook group for a while, as we have been shopping for a couple years.  This car is not a complete as I had hoped for, but the price was right, so I’ve got a lot of projects to get done this winter!  You guys are truly experts and have already saved me money 😆!  Looking forward to learning more, and if anyone is in Las Vegas, we would love to meet up!

A8C5AD42-FF31-4C84-B2D9-4C3D7B5C9779.jpeg

23 hours ago, anestech* said:

Hi all!  My wife and I just picked up this clean 1964.  I’ve been lurking here and the ROA Facebook group for a while, as we have been shopping for a couple years.  This car is not a complete as I had hoped for, but the price was right, so I’ve got a lot of projects to get done this winter!  You guys are truly experts and have already saved me money 😆!  Looking forward to learning more, and if anyone is in Las Vegas, we would love to meet up!

A8C5AD42-FF31-4C84-B2D9-4C3D7B5C9779.jpeg

Nice car!  hope it is lucky for you.  How does it drive?  Looks like it has bias ply tires?

Drives great except for the bias ply vibration above 50 mph...  I’m currently trying to find a shop that still has lug centric adapters to get them properly balanced.  I plan on 18” replica rallyes and much wider modern radial tires in the future, but was hoping make it in these for a while.

If anyone has recommendations for a tire shop in Las Vegas, I would appreciate it!

Just be aware that those tires are really old.  Most tires are not serviceable after 6 to 7 years of age.  Not just on the road, but in storage or just sitting.  The rubber deteriorates from plain old age.  Bias ply tires, except for some repos, have not been built for some time.  Be very careful mon those old tires, you don't want to hurt your car, or worse you or a loved one.  Just google tire age and read some of the horror stories.  

I just replaced four tires on my Riviera.  They had 7/32nds tread left and looked good but they were nine years old.  I hadn't driven the car for a couple of years but why take a chance.