Is there any demand or interest in Buick Small series manual transmissions????

FireballV8

Hi Chris

He thinks they are mid fifties, I just remember how to differentiate the large series and small series. Do you know how to tell the years? 

I have a 55 Special sedan with the stick, and no spare transmission. So you think it may be a good idea to get a spare?

Thanks

Steve

Small series have 5 bolts on the top cover.  6 bolts on the top cover for the larger series.  I do not know how to determine what years had what transmissions.  However, the 54-55 years do interchange.  I could look at the case numbers on my 55 manual to compare with yours.    Yes, having one on hand is a good idea.   The smaller series are a bit fragile.  I have my original 54 manual that I switched out to refresh and replace a broken synchro.  In the meantime,  I was able to source a 55 manual from Lamar(Mr. Earl) and install in the Buick while working on the original trans.  I ran that manual for a while and re-installed the original now repaired manual.    I plan on refreshing the 55 manual and having it on standby.   

The 55 manual case numbers:  tail housing 1162938-3.  Body 1312397-7

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)

A photo is worth a 1000 words.

1939 was the first year of column change. 1939 is  1 year only design. 1940 to 1953? the same or close.  May have change after that

Some internal parts fit a wide range of years.  Other internal parts 1 or 2 years only.

A good parts book helps identify.  Casting number is generally not the same as GM Buick part number, but some times it is the same

Well worth getting a spare transmission

• Like 1

21 hours ago, FireballV8 said:

Hi Chris

He thinks they are mid fifties, I just remember how to differentiate the large series and small series. Do you know how to tell the years? 

I have a 55 Special sedan with the stick, and no spare transmission. So you think it may be a good idea to get a spare?

Thanks

Steve

Steve,

Let us know if you can obtain pictures and any info on these manuals.  Thanks!  

Just now, FireballV8 said:

'll call him today and get some numbers, not sure how we can tell if they are in good shape or not. 

Ben, they are in southern California, but they are small enough that I think they can be shipped.

Thanks

Pictures if they are available will be helpful.    These can be shipped.  Lamar packaged and shipped the manual he sold me.    Heavy though.  

• Like 1

Hi Chris & Ben

Here are the number off of the transmissions:

The small ones are 1312397-7, 1312397-5, 1312397-4, 1312397-3. The big one is 1317854-2. 

I guess the first small one is a 1955. I'll check my books as well and see what I can find.

Thank You

Steve

12 hours ago, FireballV8 said:

Hi Chris & Ben

Here are the number off of the transmissions:

The small ones are 1312397-7, 1312397-5, 1312397-4, 1312397-3. The big one is 1317854-2. 

I guess the first small one is a 1955. I'll check my books as well and see what I can find.

Thank You

Steve

Number for the body does match my number on my 55 manual. Tail numbers?  I wonder if the -7, -5, -4, -3 and -2 indicate year.

To drive home the idea of having a spare, I started to put my feelers out for the cluster gear, NOS or used. I do not need one but for interest I looked.  One on hand would be nice.   I have not been successful. Having a spare manual ready to go while repairing the other keeps me on the road instead of months on the sidelines looking for parts.  Even if I don't ever need to use it and the Buick is sold on down the road, an extra manual is a good point of sale item. At least for me it is a positive if I was looking to make the purchase. 

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)