A. Ebbert

Dry timing chain 1929 six cylinder Commander

After timing issues and a seized bearing on the water pump shaft we found the timing chain is dry. Thinking that should stay oiled. Any ideas where the oil should come from?

This might indicate it is time for a thorough clean out of the engine. If it has been used with SA (so-called non-detergent) oil, it will be full of muck. It sounds like the oil way is blocked. The same condition will be inside any other drillings, such as inside the crankshaft. The sump may also be full of sludge.

I don't know the engine. The main oil gallery usually delivers oil to the timing gear.

3 hours ago, Spinneyhill said:

This might indicate it is time for a thorough clean out of the engine. If it has been used with SA (so-called non-detergent) oil, it will be full of muck. It sounds like the oil way is blocked. The same condition will be inside any other drillings, such as inside the crankshaft. The sump may also be full of sludge.

I don't know the engine. The main oil gallery usually delivers oil to the timing gear.

Thanks for the direction. I don't have any previous maintenance records. I purchased the car last spring and this has developed.

5 hours ago, A. Ebbert said:

Thanks for the direction. I don't have any previous maintenance records. I purchased the car last spring and this has developed.

how much inspection was done after you first bought the car? It is always a good idea to drop the pan for a cleaning and mechanical survey.

Edited by JFranklin (see edit history)