1942 continenal questions.

charlie1942lc

I have some questions I hope someone can answer, first, wheel cylinder bleeder screws mine have a threaded outside end with a 10/32 slot head screw inserted where most bleeder screws have a nipple to attach a hose  to , how do you use these ?   second question,  the clutch return spring that attaches to the pedal arm under the floor my spring is about 2 inches short of reaching the attachment hole and spring will not stretch that far any know a trick ?  third question, has anyone used a 6 volt electric fan ?  thanks in advance for any help I can get.

Sounds like someone replaced the bleeder screws with a common screw.  You can find them at most hardware stores or auto supplies for the correct screws.  You can't properly bleed wheel cylinders with such a screw. And if you do it's a mess with brake fluid all over the floor.  Clutch spring probably needs a new one, and Boos Harrel probably has them along with other supplies.  Your's might have been broken and someone just tried to use a shorter version.  I think you can find 6 volt fans if you're talking about putting them in front of the radiator for better cooling in idle and slow driving.  Remember with 6 volts you don't have a lot of battery reserve and that additional load can run your battery down, especially if you haven't replaced your generator with an alternator.  Remember the current at 6 volts is twice what it is with 12 volt devices for the same power consumption of your devices.  This is also why we use LEDs where ever we can to cut consumption of battery power with the lighting.  I am still waiting for a LED amber replacement lamp unit for the original 6 inch fog lamps on these cars.  There are LED lamps less than 5 inches, but won't fit the housings.  

If you have what i think you have for bleeders, it is a fairly common prewar setup on some makes.

The screw just keeps crap out of the bleeder. It is analogous to the rubber cap used on modern bleeders. Just take the screws out. Bleed as normal. Put all the screws in when you are done. A nipple to thread into the bleeder where the screw was would be handy, and probably exists, but I have never seen one. Maybe you can cram a hose or the boot of a vacuum bleeder over the outside of the bleeder. If not, you might have to let them squirt when you bleed. If the car is restored, and it is pretty under there, you may need to make a nipple adapter.... or change the bleeders to modern ones, because brake fluid removes paint.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

Bloo is correct about the original wheel cylinders and bleeder screws. You should be able to fit a piece of vacuum hose or clear plastic hose over the hex portion of the bleeder screw, after you remove the 10-32 screw. I forget the size, but some of them took a 3/8" id hose.