30DodgePanel

How do you buy and sell parts?

How do you shop for parts ?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. ALL votes are completely anonymous

• I buy from eBay from time to time
    • I search eBay a lot for parts I need - I also buy and sell on eBay consistently
    • I prefer local swap meets only
    • I only go to the big shows such as Bakersfield, Hershey or Carlisle
    • I only buy from other AACA members on the For Sale section of this forum
    • None of the above

Here in town, we actually have an auto parts store (A&E) that specializes in parts for older cars.  I also deal with local marque club members for parts.  If they don't have a part, I can usually get a line on a source for it. 

8 hours ago, hidden_hunter said:

Don't get a lot of choice but to buy through ebay for us internationals, a lot of people don't want the trouble of shipping overseas so you either use a package forwarder (costly and slow) or ebay

I only know of 2 other type 61 cadillac's in Australia, so our options for parts are pretty limited. 

Could you please tell us how bad the "eBay Global" shipping deal is? I'm very happy selling overseas, but like doing the man to man postage, eBay doesn't need another cut on the sale. Bob 

• Like 1

I use ebay to buy a majority of the parts I have been looking for, and sell as well. I have also sold a few things off of the AACA Forum.

I just recently sold a part on ebay, an NOS compass in a GM heat sealed plastic transparent package, and I know that the buyer made a swap with a broken one. Demanded a refund (which I do not offer) ebay of course ruled in favor of the buyer and I had a broken piece of junk sent to that I KNOW that I did not sell and the buyer. He  ended up getting my NOS part for free. Talking to my friends at Hershey about it, one had mentioned that this seems to be the new scam on ebay. I don't think I will sell any more of my NOS stuff on ebay.

I understand the problem for those who rely on the global shipping plan, but as a seller it is a royal PITA to ship international, and very hard to estimate the price of shipping. It is just not worth my time not to use the global shipping program

Also what happened to people leaving feedback? I would say over the past year maybe less then 2/3's of the buyers bother to leave any. 

• Like 3

Sorry John about your loss, but Mary had the opposite experience on eBay. She advertised, and sold a NOS dash for a late 60's, early 70's Chev/GMC pickup truck. The part had never been installed and included a factory tach. After receiving a favorable response from the buyer, he contacted her indicating damage to the tach, and tried passing off a somewhat frousty used dash for reference. She immediately contacted eBay, regarding the scam, and filed a counter claim. eBay took care of the scammer and Mary's spotless record remained intact. We never heard another word from either the buyer or from eBay. For us the process worked as intended.

Bill

Edited by Buffalowed Bill (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, mercer09 said:

who needs to deal with hooligans????????????????

You get them everywhere, I had a few small but expensive things go missing at Hershey over the years. I try to look past it, but the ebay thing really bugged me for some reason, only to find out that this seems to be more common then I thought.

I have not bought a part in classified ads for years, I don't even read them much anymore. 

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

Had something similar happen back when I serviced tachs: 69-72 Pontiac A-body (GTO) and G-body GP dash tachs are identical except for one thing: the A body has green internal frosting on the A body (common) and a blue frosting on the G-body (rare). Guy contacts me needing a GP tach for a show and he begs if I send him my good one (spare for my GP) and he would send his in return. OK except when I get his, it turns out to be the common green one. He refuses to send mine back. What can you do ?

Must say that most of the people I dealt with were honest and straightforward but just do not sell or repair stuff (except the occasional car on CL) any more.

6 hours ago, John348 said:

I use ebay to buy a majority of the parts I have been looking for, and sell as well. I have also sold a few things off of the AACA Forum.

I just recently sold a part on ebay, an NOS compass in a GM heat sealed plastic transparent package, and I know that the buyer made a swap with a broken one. Demanded a refund (which I do not offer) ebay of course ruled in favor of the buyer and I had a broken piece of junk sent to that I KNOW that I did not sell and the buyer. He  ended up getting my NOS part for free. Talking to my friends at Hershey about it, one had mentioned that this seems to be the new scam on ebay. I don't think I will sell any more of my NOS stuff on ebay.

I understand the problem for those who rely on the global shipping plan, but as a seller it is a royal PITA to ship international, and very hard to estimate the price of shipping. It is just not worth my time not to use the global shipping program

Also what happened to people leaving feedback? I would say over the past year maybe less then 2/3's of the buyers bother to leave any. 

John,

I feel you pain.  Same thing happened on some new parts that I sold a buyer on ebay.  Buyer claimed they were not new and got a refund and kept the parts from the ruling by ebay. To add insult to injury, I could not even leave any feed back on the seller and the seller gave me a bad rating. It was even stated in the listing no refunds.  Last time that I have sold anything on that platform. 

• Thanks 1

On the topic, I would say all of the above except selling on ebay.   I also buy, trade, and sell at Hershey.  Probably  the most important element to finding parts for my projects is my circle of friends.  We all help each other keep our vehicles running swapping & selling parts to each other and giving each other leads.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Could you please tell us how bad the "eBay Global" shipping deal is? I'm very happy selling overseas, but like doing the man to man postage, eBay doesn't need another cut on the sale. Bob 

Absolute crap, 30+ day delivery times and they charge tax at double the actual rate - I try and buy directly from stores where possible and I find the insurance on my credit card is as good as anything that I get through paypal or fleabay

The poll appears to be missing one of the important sources that has been around for much longer than eBay and/or interweb, i.e. trusted, long-standing independent “brick & mortar” and/or “mail-/phone-order” vintage parts businesses focused on quality items, although in past couple of decades many have gone out of business or had to change their “modus operandi” due to continually increasing demand of cheap and cheaply made parts/supplies by ever increasing groups of wannabe enthusiasts/hobbyist who seem to prefer not spending any serious money on their supposed(?!?) “pride & joy”, yet expect to “make a profit” when selling that cheaply built/maintained crap after its newness wears off, peers quit complimenting them about it and local shows stop giving trophies or other useless nic-nacs just for showing up with it.

For past four decades I have been buying vast majority of needed parts, supplies, equipment/tools or services mainly from aforementioned type suppliers and will continue to support them until they stop providing quality parts and services. 

Even with my (very) limited means, I’ve always despised and stayed clear of just about anything “cheap”, especially all Chi**se junk, be they equipment/tools, parts or supplies, that has littered this hobby in past 2-3 decades and somehow became acceptable(?) standard.

TTR

you do realize that most brick and mortar businesses that are still in business are adapting to internet models?

if not, for the most part, they are folding. One cannot compete with the costs involved of a solely brick and mortar business.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mercer09 said:

TTR

you do realize that most brick and mortar businesses that are still in business are adapting to internet models?

if not, for the most part, they are folding. One cannot compete with the costs involved of a solely brick and mortar business.

An perfect example of this is Eckler's they have been buying up many of the failing brick and mortar businesses. I have been watching them do this for years, 

• Like 1

This is a great site keep it going. I buy from swap meets, antique shops, garage sales and the old fashioned way (newspaper). 

I really wish that the classifieds on this site would grow some legs and get more action. The potential is limitless. I sold a car here a few years ago, and some parts. I just sold a part to member who saw it in the back round of a photo of some things I was bringing to Hershey this year, so you never know....

There might be room for some sub-forums to keep things from going to page 2? 

such as: 

ebay auctions of interest

GM parts, Ford Parts, Mopar parts,, other parts.

Literature.

I realize that this all takes work and also comes with a cost.

Maybe even a small charge to non AACA members (sort of like Craigslist does now for cars) and maybe some sort of motivation to get people to join this great club, making it free to members? 

Just random ideas, I don't want to hijack the post. I came in the house to get another cup of coffee and was checking the site decided if I don't say it now I never will.

• Like 1