30DodgePanel

How do you buy and sell parts?

How do you shop for parts ?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. ALL votes are completely anonymous

• I buy from eBay from time to time
    • I search eBay a lot for parts I need - I also buy and sell on eBay consistently
    • I prefer local swap meets only
    • I only go to the big shows such as Bakersfield, Hershey or Carlisle
    • I only buy from other AACA members on the For Sale section of this forum
    • None of the above

I'm just curious as to where we are currently as a hobby community in regards to our own personal preferences to buying and selling parts.  

I would prefer to buy from members here, but good luck finding 1931 DB parts here.

I would prefer to sell to members here.

• Like 1

eBay has changed the hobby, most of the stuff I bought at Hershey got flipped with in days of listing it. Bob 

• Like 2

You're a flipper Bob? I'd never have guessed. Good for you.

11 minutes ago, mike6024 said:

You're a flipper Bob? I'd never have guessed. Good for you.

Any time I see a $100.00 item priced at $10.00 I grab it, fun shopping with my 7 year old grandson and passing along tips like that. Bob 

• Like 1

I have not been buying nearly as much as compared to 5 years ago or so. E bay has definitely gone down hill. At the same time shipping took a big jump. No more cheap rate shipping. Everything needs to be sent priority

signed for, a substantial upcharge. 

I can only afford to go to reasonably close swap meets . Hershey and Bakersfield are bucket list events , but too costly for my post retirement budget. But it seems less and less of what I am interested in { Brass era } is

showing up each year. The last few years I have been buying more tools than parts at swap meets. Just not seeing things I need except for my 1914 Ford T speedster parts pile. That one is seeing slow but steady additional 

basic parts addition. I now have most of what can be found used, next step is to start buying all the new parts needed.

Also still getting over a car purchase back in  the summer . Only $8500 but knocked my hobby fund flat.

Greg in Canada

• Like 2

I used to buy and flip on ebay. Now dont consider it worth my time, per what Greg just said. Ebay is all about buying and against sellers and yes, this has been said 1000 times before. but, I still buy on ebay, selectively. Now that they are collecting sales tax, my buying has really gone down. I ask myself no matter what- do I really need that? The answer is

invariably NO. So now my credit card hardly gets used, my garages are getting cleaned out and my life is simplified.

With about 20% of my life left- (just a guess) I now consider much more how I spend, waste my time daily. Dont need a hoard of parts and still need to sell a few more cars.............

the higher costs of selling, shipping etc have helped define my existence and time spent on what matters.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I like to sell on this site but sales are very slow. even the number of views is modest. I buy any where and every where. I do like doing swapmeets but my nearest one is 5 hours and a couple are a 12 hour drive... really hard to justify with the price of fuel and the modest sales at the swap meet. sometimes you do find some interesting package deals to buy and that is good. Generally the cost of doing this business is getting too high to justify but I love seeing my friends and talking cars for the weekend.

• Thanks 1

I do not buy on Ebay period unless it is the last one available in the world. I buy on Amazon prime for almost everything none antique car related.  

7 hours ago, mercer09 said:

Now that they are collecting sales tax, my buying has really gone down.

That's right, thumbs down to eBay.  The few things I bought on eBay recently were possibly, maybe competitively priced, but no more with sales tax.

I think they shot themselves in the foot.

BTW, that Supreme Court ruling was wrong, wrong, wrong.  Do governments have to get a cut of everything?

All of the above (+Amazon and FLAPS), I tend to check everywhere but avoid places with excess shipping.

Does eBay even collect sales tax on car sales now????

All the above.  I was selling at a small swap meet today - after 5 hours sold about $150 worth of parts, not complaining as I was happy with the day.  I also sell on Ebay but I always sell with the shipping included with my prices so that there are no surprises.  I buy where ever I can find what I need and sometimes that's at a local Antique Mall, here in Canada Kijiji, or auction sale.  All the buying and selling I do is to simply pay for a few parts for the cars that we are working on and the heat and hydro for the shop.  I always figure if I can get what I need and sell the rest and be even then I'm ahead on the deal.  The time spent doing it all is more about the social then the financial.  

• Like 1

The options in the poll are ok, but of course there are more options to buy parts. I buy a bit from ebay. Some from forums like this one. Some from other specific business’ web sites. Some from my local contacts here in my town. Some from local swap meets. Some regional swap meets. Other places too like Craigslist or Kijiji up here in Canada. I hope to go to Hershey some day. Sort of a bucket list thing. Likely the big Portland annual swapmeet is a more realistic trip. There there are fellow marquis groups members in Facebook. Facebook marketplace too. 

I’ve got my fingers into a lot of pots it seems. I generally am patient and am always looking. Last month I picked up an engine, tranny, clutch & related parts for my old Mopars. I didn’t really need it but for $125 I said “I can make room for that”. No freight. Right here in town. Gotta love it. 

Edited by keithb7 (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

At age 75 I'm a little older then most, and was a little tardy regarding my computer searches for parts. In addition I don't have the patience to sell on Craig's List or Ebay. This is where I feel blessed, my significant other loves to buy and sell on EB. Plus she is a car gal to boot. She and I both feel that a car, or part, is worth saving if someone wants it. It really doesn't matter if it is a part is worth $15 or $500, she just loves the whole process.

Mary is somewhat younger then I am, but sadly she is legally blind and can no longer drive. In spite of her condition she still loves the cars, all of which have a name, and are considered part of the family. Not too long ago I began to think about reducing the collection. I didn't want to burden her with my collection after I was gone. One day I just blurted out "Mary am I doing the wrong thing holding on to these cars, should I be getting rid of them?" Her very quick response was "no I have this big garage, I would have to put something in it." The beauty of her response was that I really already sensed what her answer would be. I often wonder how I got so lucky!

Bill

Edited by Buffalowed Bill (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Don't get a lot of choice but to buy through ebay for us internationals, a lot of people don't want the trouble of shipping overseas so you either use a package forwarder (costly and slow) or ebay

I only know of 2 other type 61 cadillac's in Australia, so our options for parts are pretty limited. 

• Like 1

Does eBay even collect sales tax on car sales now????

no they dont, as every state has a diff sales tax or none. so that is up to you when you decide to register or not.

Hard choices, and not one answer up there works...

If I can buy direct from another collector whether it was here, the PAS, the MTFCA, HCCA, Ford Barn, or a flea market, etc. I prefer it to eBay, BUT it’s not all that easy as those parts I seem to need are hoarded by the people who know what they are and how hard they are to replace...

I was very lucky last spring and bought a lot of parts for my Pierce Arrow from a former owner of a similar car. These included a very scarce fuel pump, a decent hubcap, a complete distributor, a NOS cutout, and two NOS distributor caps with  rotors for less than what a single fuel pump in worse condition sold for on eBay. But try as I might to find a used hood latch and spring for the same car and I come up empty. I wound up buying a used reproduction latch handle off eBay which was slightly modified for some reason but still can’t find the spring... at least the handle will look good for the time even if it doesn’t work right.

• Like 3

In Florida the sales tax is paid when you transfer the title. Then if you have a tag it can be transferred. If not thee is a $225 "new tax" fee.

I just bought all new brake hardware for my '64 Riviera from Rockauto; wheel cylinders, springs, pins, etc. I like the range of quality. The shoes will be relined; I usually rebuild or have rebuilt original items if I can. NAPA is my place for electrical. The only other needs I have are materials and tools. Local vendors have what I need.

The parts compatibility system has pretty much ruined Ebay for me, to much unrelated stuff to bother with.

Taxes, fees, and fines are just a given. Over a few centuries of Euro-expansionism the wealth of the world's indigenous peoples has been stolen and squandered to the point of making human labor the most readily available resource - WE are the new indigenous.

Winter is coming in this area. All I need to do is budget a little money to heat the garage and make it comfortable enough to walk around with a spray bottle of detailer and a soft cloth.

Bernie

How do you buy and sell parts?

with money.

Seriously, I love the thrill of the hunt and excitement of discovery that a good old fashioned swap meet provides.  Include antique shops, antique markets, flea markets, junk shops, antique malls, country auctions and especially what I consider to be unconventional sources.  I've found good antique auto stuff at old bottle shows, post card shows, railroad and train shows, and of course postcard shows and advertising/ephemera markets.

Ebay can be fun but again, I've found lots of good stuff that's incorrectly listed.

Good luck with your survey but I don't think the data you gather will be valid as you've left out a lot of other resources and you're reaching only a limited audience (sample) here.

Terry

• Like 1

"WE are the new indigenous" - agree, after living in Florida since 1957, am considered a "native", is not a bad thing, some places have "native" discounts.

Are now in convertible weather when utility bills go down and is nice to be outside.

Within 100 miles we have Zephyrhills, Webster, Turkey Rod Run, and Easter Rod Run swap meets, all too big to see in a day.

The only thing I'll buy from RA are things that cannot be damaged. Their return process is a nightmare. The paperwork just to get an RMA is incredible and you have to pay return shipping. Kits are returned by each line item.