I strongly suspect (hope) no-one else encounters this problem, but just in case . . . 

I had a hard starting problem on my 1965 Riviera Gran Sport. One time in four, the car would fire right up when cold. But when it wouldn't there was only one solution: dribble some gas down the carb. It would crank a moment until enough gas mixed with air and fired up. I suspected the accelerator pump and/or a mis-adjusted or non-functioning choke, so I ordered a pair of carb rebuild kits.

Upon rebuild of the front carb, the issue became immediately obvious:

20191019_101704.thumb.jpg.a33102e0678e6f64e8df7153abc1ce56.jpg

The accelerator pump on the left is the replacement from the kit -- complete with protective cardboard shipping collar.

The accelerator pump on the right is the one removed from the carb -- complete with protective cardboard shipping collar.

Hmmm.

This is what the two pumps looked like:'

20191019_122049.thumb.jpg.9c4220d5f0ef8cd6dcb4607ca713aed1.jpg

Overall, the carbs were in very good condition and, based on their overall cleanliness, had apparently been recently rebuilt. 

I think to make the carbs just a touch better I may need to replace the butterfly shafts or the seals on them.

Any recommendations for a quality shop that does that type of work??

As usual, TIA

Craig

Edited by Craig Balzer
Correct typo (see edit history)

You don't say where you live, but if you're within shipping distance of Connecticut, contact Tom Telesco.  He's on this forum as Telriv.

Thanks Ed, 

I'm in Colorado Springs. Connecticut is just a UPS Store away.

I'll reach out to Tom Telesco -- maybe he'll see this posting . . .

Craig

Craig,

Send then my way.  I usually pack them each in a couple seal-able freezer bags. IF ANY GAS SMELL they are considered hazardous waste & you'll pay dearly to ship..  Empty ALL the fuel out as best you can then let them sit in direct sunlight for a couple days, maybe in front of a window & let the heat dry them out.  Put them in a large enough box & do whatever is nec. to keep the choke Bakelite cover from getting broken or just remove it.

Ship to:

Tom Telesco

12 Cook St.

Norwalk, Ct. 06853-1601

In the box include a phone number so I can make contact with you & a good time to do so.

Tom T.

If Tom does the work, they will look and function like new.

Still very happy with mine. 

I think that when you get the carbs back from Tom you'd be able to say they'd been restored rather than just rebuilt.  I've seen some of his work. It is good.