1963 riviera differential fill plug - special tool?

JJ62

This should be an easy question for you veterans. Trying to check my diff. fluid level. Neither a 3/8" or 1/2" ratchet will work on the plug. Measures 7/16 with my caliper. Wondering if I need to buy a special tool and if anyone knows WHY I have to buy a special tool. Usually they are standard ratchet size or a hex.

Thanks,

Jim

Edited by JJ62 (see edit history)

Looking closer at the plug & making the pic. bigger I now have to eat crow, BECAUSE it is the CORRECT plug for a non posi rear.  That hole in the center should be a 3/8ths. square drive as in an extension.  Try hammering it into place & see what happens.  Rust will make things seem smaller.

The pic shown is a a posi plug which is the easiest way to tell posi from non posi because they were ALL like this.

Tom T.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, awk409ak said:

Here's mine.  It's a raised square, but it's also a 64

Art

1047482532_Diffbolt.thumb.jpg.139c303e0937a7affe87dcd662277f15.jpg

You've got an outie, as opposed to my innie! I also see there's an I.D. tag there. I wonder if they are normally on the drain plug - seems easier to be discarded that way. On Fords they are on the differential bolts. I'll have to check on my '65 Riviera and see what that has on it.

1 hour ago, awk409ak said:

JJ62,

Well in the 64 Buick Chassis Manual, page 6-20 it shows it and states that the posi id tag is around the filler plug.

Art

Just like in the posted picture by Art.  I imagine that a lot of tags were not reinstalled when fluid levels were checked.