Classic Era Gardner Automobiles

jeff_a

You don't see one on every street corner, but several models are CCCA Classics, partly due to the adoption of straight eights in late 1924.

Here is a 1927 Model 90 that 1937hd45 posted eleven years ago + a 1930 Model 140, pictured in Nov. Hemmings, for sale by Volo Cars in Iliinois:

1927_Roadster-p_270x135.jpg      65092125-770-0@2X.jpg?rev=430

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

A 1929 Model 120 listed for sale on collectorcarads.com back in 6/19/18. They were asking $22,500. Car is in Indiana. The very-rare Gardner Griffin radiator mascot implies a very complete vehicle.

The model seems to have eluded Full Classic designation, but after replacing those little sealed beams  and cleaning it up you would have a very classy car.  It is a New Series Eight-In-Line Sport Sedan. Lycoming engine with 225.7 Cu. In./ 76 HP.  Ad text:

"This is a very rare vehicle that does need a complete restoration, 98% of the original parts are still there and it has been garage kept for all of its life. The odo reads 60k and it is a 4 door with suicide doors. The original running gear is all there including a straight 8 and a 3 spd manual. This vehicle has a title and is coming with all of the original tools. You can look, however i don't believe you will find a better Gardener restoration candidate anywhere.

Give our friend Don a call at 812-443-5435" 

1929 Other Model 120 for sale   g3_2.jpg

g6_1.jpg

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

12 minutes ago, jeff_a said:

Thank you for the additional posts about Gardners. It's not a rank and file classic like a Cord or Packard, but still interesting. Is that 1929 Phaeton from an Automobile Quarterly story? The photography looks about right for that. 

Internet grab, but I believe you are correct.  I also think that is the car that was for sale a few years ago and ended up going to Europe.  I can't find any reference to the advertisement.

I think the guy that maintains the Gardner website floats on this forum sometimes. 

http://www.gardnermotorcars.com/index.html

I heard from him in a side chat on Google Mail. I believe he contacted the owner of that black '29 Sedan in my 2nd post and it may still be available. A bit of a handful to restore, but someone might enjoy tooling around in a car with a vest-pocket-sized Lycoming straight-eight. Bob said you could drive all day at 60 mph in one of those. The 11 Missing Cars story 8E45E pasted here has a dark-colored 1929 Sport Sedan that's very close to it, but the cowl is different, plus the lights.