Sign in to follow this  
Paul K.

First Gen Dash Covers

Hi All, 

Apologies in advance for starting another first-gen dash cover thread.

After reading all of the previous posts, I was ready to purchase one of the Dashtop dash covers for my 64.  But then I came across this QRP brand "dash shell". Anyone used it? Links to both items below on the CARid site.

https://www.carid.com/1964-buick-riviera-interior-parts/dashtop-dash-cover-902030131.html

https://www.carid.com/qrp/dash-shell-mpn-br04141.html?singleid=100948940&url=89840761

Edited by Paul K. (see edit history)

Sir, I’ve used the DashTop on numerous occasions for my 63 Riv and customers. I found DashTop to have an direct fit as advertised. I “ tweaked” the fit with basic shop tools. I ordered the color red and the color match was acceptable. I had paint made up to match my interior and painted the cover to suit me.

i can’t say anything about the other product as I have not used it.

Good Luck

Turbinator

• Like 1

Thanks Turbinator. I saw you post and your work and its nice. When ordering the Dashtop, it looks like you have to choose a color at an extra cost of $30. From another post, their OEM blue is light blue and was not correct. I would prefer to buy it with no color. 

Any comments on the QRP brand are appreciated. The description of the QRP company in their dash shell ad seems very impressive in regard to product quality and their company profile. 

1 hour ago, Paul K. said:

Thanks Turbinator. I saw you post and your work and its nice. When ordering the Dashtop, it looks like you have to choose a color at an extra cost of $30. From another post, their OEM blue is light blue and was not correct. I would prefer to buy it with no color. 

Any comments on the QRP brand are appreciated. The description of the QRP company in their dash shell ad seems very impressive in regard to product quality and their company profile. 

Paul, some advertise shells as ready to install. The original dash board is the foundation you build your recovering job. My sense is the folks that advertise a complete pad does not have the strength or connecting hardware to hold the shell in place. I’m happy to be wrong, just my observation.

Turbinator

ps DashTop comes in black at no extra charge.

1 hour ago, Paul K. said:

Paul, some advertise shells as ready to install. The original dash board is the foundation you build your recovering job. My sense is the folks that advertise a complete pad does not have the strength or connecting hardware to hold the shell in place. I’m happy to be wrong, just my observation.

Turbinator

ps DashTop comes in black at no extra charge.

paul, I checked out the QRP. Non returnable and no warranty. Seems the price point for QRP is a tad higher ($60 more) than DashTop. DashTop provides a warranty on their packing slip. See if DashTop is returnable. Being able to return, have a warranty, and less expensive could possibly important factors in a purchase.

( I have no vested interest in DashTop)

Turbinator 

these plastic covers are alright for a cheap solution, but now these cars are so valuable that it is best to send yours to JUST DASHES for a rebuild. You only do it once

I had an upholstery shop recover one for me in the correct vinyl.  I cut away the curled parts of the old hard plastic/vinyl and filled in with minimally expanding foam (aerosol insulating stuff from Home Depot) carved and sanded everything smooth and the upholstery shop recovered it.  Watching what they did, I wouldn't be afraid to get some 3M upholstery adhesive and do it myself.  Some gentle heat and pull and stretch it into place.  My next thought for my 64 is to put a double French seam right along the leading edge of the cover with a slightly different shade of thread. The downloaded picture has too much contrast but you'll get the idea.1.jpg.84076df0494626585791afd2c5907b2a.jpg

4 hours ago, dr914 said:

these plastic covers are alright for a cheap solution, but now these cars are so valuable that it is best to send yours to JUST DASHES for a rebuild. You only do it once

George, you’ve posted the same comment before and certainly can do so as many times as you like.

The DashTop covers are not Cheap and make a very fine presentation. I have invested significant dollars in restoring my 63 Riv and please know if the goods look or are cheap goods they don’t go on my car. I believe Just Dashes are arrogant and not customer oriented, over priced, and painfully slow. 
Fortunately, gents like us can disagree and still respect the other man’s view.

Turbinator

2 hours ago, RivNut said:

I had an upholstery shop recover one for me in the correct vinyl.  I cut away the curled parts of the old hard plastic/vinyl and filled in with minimally expanding foam (aerosol insulating stuff from Home Depot) carved and sanded everything smooth and the upholstery shop recovered it.  Watching what they did, I wouldn't be afraid to get some 3M upholstery adhesive and do it myself.  Some gentle heat and pull and stretch it into place.  My next thought for my 64 is to put a double French seam right along the leading edge of the cover with a slightly different shade of thread. The downloaded picture has too much contrast but you'll get the idea.1.jpg.84076df0494626585791afd2c5907b2a.jpg

Ed, a very fine idea and looks good.

Turbinator

On 10/19/2019 at 10:13 AM, dr914 said:

Recovering one of our dashes with a seam on the facing edge is an easy way to recover and a way most upholstery shops will do. 20-30 years ago, this is all the shops would do and they weren't interested in covering a dash any other way. I never liked the look of a seam where it was not original, however, Ed, I very much like  your example of contrasting color stitching.

Today, I hear and see more and more people stretching and covering dashes without a seam.  Maybe the vinyl today stretches better? 

Value is relative. Its sad to say, our Rivieras aren't very valuable when compared to the classic car market in general. Under $50k is the bottom tier with auction houses. I have owned my Riv for 38 years. Agreed, Just Dashes from what I have read is the highest quality dash repair and most correct, however,  I have other cars I enter in shows and get judged so a dash cap for me is the best option for me to keep enjoying my car. I don't get hung up with originality details that can be easily corrected or reversed.   

Paul, your comments are that of a man with good sense. You know what you are doing.

Turbinatot

PS All Sport has 4 way stretch vinyl at $29.96. A yard.

One of my customers had his done by a HIGH END upholstery shop in leather. IT  came out PERFECT.   We'll see how long it lasts. Probably forever seeing the way most of these cars are driven & taken care of today.

Tom T.

• Thanks 1

On 10/21/2019 at 6:11 PM, Turbinator said:

PS All Sport has 4 way stretch vinyl at $29.96. A yard.

Thanks for the tip! 

There's a good video (1:00:04) on YouTube that shows a rather complicated plastice dash being recovered in leather. There's also a 3+ minute one showing (without audio) showing recovering a Chevy truck dash in leather with a French seam.  You'll be interested to see in how much stretch there is in leather.

Hi All,

I'm looking for a replacement too.  I called Gene in PA, but he did not have any that weren't already cracked.  This was after I already removed mine, so now I must replace it before I can drive my car again ( makes no sense to put it back in).  How about the complete dashes from RestoParts.  Carid and OPG has them.  Anyone see them?

Art

Have Bob the Turbinator do a cover for you.

telriv,

Well I was and was going to take my dash to him this coming Saturday, but was informed by Bob today that he is not doing dash anymore or something like that.  I saw he was on this thread earlier, but did not mention about re-doing dashes.

Art

Gents, Turbinator recovers dash pads for 63,64, and 65 Buick Riviera. The sale of the dash pad takes  place on eBay.