Clicking sound on 1922 Cadillac

hidden_hunter

Hey guys,

I've got the car my 1922 Cadillac starting readily and idles nicely, however there is an occasional clicking sound. The whole motor has been apart, so I'm not sure if it's just something finding its new home or something more major I should be worrying about.

Oil pressure is inline with what the book say it should be so I don't think it's that, could be a tappet but I would have expected something a bit more regular if that was the case.

I can't hear any sort of pattern and struggling to think what could be making the noise

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AhZpPcMu-n3MipMqYLp8f87qd5J10A

3 hours ago, cahartley said:

The clicking sound reminds me of a rebuilt magneto I used on a late teens Townsend tractor.

I never did find out what caused the clicking.

I've listened to the video 6 times and the clicking seems to be in the area of the magneto.

I'm struggling to pin point it even in person, I can't even think of what in the generator would click - worn bearing perhaps? 

Vacuum tanks will click when the float opens and closes.........a good Cadillac tuned correctly will have the idle hunt up and down slightly when the tank is filling. 

• Like 1

Took it out for a drive today and it seems to have abated for the most part, so perhaps something just finding its new home (or ground itself off :o )

It drove really nicely and pulled well so not sure what it is at this point 

What body style is your '24 ? Does it make a sound anything like a click ? My '24 does have its special noises, but not really much different from the '27. I don't know that it makes some sound like a click,  but really you would have to compare each against the other. Of course the '24 and '22 have significant differences.  -  Carl 

1 hour ago, C Carl said:

What body style is your '24 ? Does it make a sound anything like a click ? My '24 does have its special noises, but not really much different from the '27. I don't know that it makes some sound like a click,  but really you would have to compare each against the other. Of course the '24 and '22 have significant differences.  -  Carl 

5 passenger coupe - given the whole motor has been apart perhaps it's just something finding its home - performance seemed to be pretty solid. It pulled well to about 35mph at half throttle (local speed limit!) and maintained it with little effort, so it doesn't objectively feel like there is anything wrong. We checked the push rods gap and most of them were now slightly too large (0.004"-0.005" rather than factory 0.002" to 0.003") 

There is some confusion here. My quoted posting was in response, and directed to, a now deleted posting by old car fan, previously just above mine. In that posting he mentioned that he has a '24. 

I have also wondered about various sounds coming from my engines. As I say, there are similarities. The '24 has about 62k, and has never been apart other than to check the bearings : fine condition, within spec. The timing chain is at max tolerance (1" circumferential free play of the fan - there is no provision for adjustment on these cars). High oil consumption, BUT I have recently come to realize that 20W/50 is TOO LIGHT  (!!!) for our cars, or at least MY '24. The oil runs so cool (particularly in the cool Pacific northwest where all my few thousands of miles have been driven), that I doubt the multi-viscosity oil even reaches equivalent to a single viscosity 30,. That is a very speculative assumption, however, but setting up a test with the two oils at operating temp would be needed to confirm. I intend to use V.I. improvers in the future, after doing some experiments.

Because the odometer was reading around 12k and change when I bought the '27, I don't know the real mileage. The odometer was working, and is quite accurate. But I believe,  from my experience, that the mileage in the 40s. I pulled the heads, very little bore wear at all. Bearings in excellent condition. Had to replace the automatic timing chain tensioner, so no slop there. This car has no oil consumption issues on the 20W/50 synthetic. It has been driven in Temps in the 30s, to over 100 in the Nevada Summer. 

Here is the odometer after I put around 500-600 miles on the '27. If you click I to high-resolution, you may be able to read 12,770 miles. I wish I knew the truth. Oh ! The clock is rather accurate after a professional clean and lube.    

This all is not of much help, but I hope all continues well for you, your family, and vehicles !    -    Carl 

B5B4FF07-C601-433E-92B8-C43CC40AE999.jpeg

On 10/23/2019 at 1:58 PM, sagefinds said:

We had a '15 for awhile that had a clicking noise and it was just a bit of slack in the shaft to the starter generator. Might be something to check on yours.

I’ll remove the rod and see if there is any play

• 2 weeks later...

You’re not overheating at all are you? My Olds started a occasional clicking sound like a valve hanging up then snapping closed. Hunted around with a stethoscope and found the sound was coming from right around #6 spark plug. Eventually it stopped happening then the car started overheating and I found out my head gasket had failed due to a stripped head bolt. I believe the noise was the compression I could hear snapping by the gasket.

Edited by chistech (see edit history)

• 3 months later...
48 minutes ago, C Carl said:

Any diagnosis or further insights ?    -    Carl 

Dropped the oil pan, double checked the bearings and the caps tightness - couldn't find anything amiss. Inspected everything I could see (including using a boroscope) and couldn't find anything that looked out of place (including the bores) 

About all I found was a head bolt that I didnt' really like the tightness on so replaced that. The oil was a bit fuel contaminated (it had been in the car for many failed starts) but there was no sign of metal in it or on the cheese grater filter. 

Nothing seems out of place, the oil pressure is good and its running well my theory is that it's the new top cover finding it's 'home' on my camshaft. I'll monitor it for now to see if it gets better/worse and report back 

Newest problem (see other thread) is that the indicators flash when the car is off but are solid when the motor is running.... 

I might get a chance to fire up and drive my '24 in the next couple of days. You may see on some international news outlet that Seattle is about to experience two sunny, dry, relatively warm days in a row. That is a very big deal in this gloom capital of the lower 48. Our Summers are absolutely wonderful, though. Wish they would last longer. Global warming may help. If I do drive it, I will see if the old thing has a similar noise.    -   Carl