1937-44

Hey Auburn Seeker!

Strikes me as a now deceased friend's car - they had it in the Jacksonville area of Florida for years and very nice car, though Florida is a little hard on a car given climate (in even the nicest of garages).  

There was also a very similar one,  though I think it was a 32 for sale on ebay about 7 or so years ago that sold,  but I'm sure this is a different car. That was 65G and in better shape.   The colors were quite similar.  Though maybe tans and browns rather than whites. One of the dealers ended up with it and marked it up 20G.  They were asking I think 85G.   I contacted the owner but again,  was short on money at the time.   I think it was a year before I bought my Cord.

well Steve and Randy, hope you both are closer then me on price as it would be nice to see Randy get this car. I see the late 20s bring in the 60s and think the 30s are a bit more desirable.

the paint does pull it back a good 10%, but if the others are at 80k, that still wont get it for 50k.  will be interesting to see what it brings. dont forget the auction house fees as well.

Of course we know this is an auction as well so things could fall flat or set a record and there is no rhyme or reason why.   Seems not the best choice of auction companies for this type of car as they sell farm equipment and real estate.  

I would have probably never found it if you guys hadn't posted it, though I do random auburn searches occasionally. 

1 minute ago, mercer09 said:

well Steve and Randy, hope you both are closer then me on price as it would be nice to see Randy get this car. I see the late 20s bring in the 60s and think the 30s are a bit more desirable.

the paint does pull it back a good 10%, but if the others are at 80k, that still wont get it for 50k.  will be interesting to see what it brings. dont forget the auction house fees as well.

Wonder how the fees work on this one?  That is the one good thing with ebay.  Your bid is your bid,  you don't have to figure in the extra 10 or so Percent.  Almost seems foolish to sell it that way if that is the margin.  The seller gets 20 percent less for the car than an outright sale which at 50G is 10G.  That's a pretty big hit for an online only auction. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

Wonder how the fees work on this one?

If you are interested you should check out terms etc on the website. Quick glance looks like a 10% buyers premium.

Boy if those two went head to head at auction I would have to say if the maroon one hit 70? then this one seems like it would stop under the 60 G range.

I love the colors on the maroon one. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

Sale price, buyers fee, transportation costs, title/local taxes/license fees, small or large maintenance costs, up grades  = ? 

• Like 2

They are closed over the weekend.  I’ll try Monday morning and see what, if anything, I can do.

just paint the fenders and aprons black and the car will look better and better.

• Like 2

A real 12 cabriolet is an expensive car.  More than 100 unless it is in pieces.

"Resale Red" I was about 13 years old when I first heard that term. It's a winner.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

A real 12 cabriolet is an expensive car.  More than 100 unless it is in pieces.

Actually one posted here on the forums last summer, the summer of 2018, sold at an estate auction that was well advertised and if memory serves me was right around 100.  Maybe 103G. That number sticks in my head.  Pretty good car but again paint issues.  Might have been blue?  The Auction was in NY state. 

I would take resale red over that white.  

Taylormade;

Thanks for checking. 

That 12 was in Geneseo, NY, not far from me: https://www.cottoneauctions.com/lots/55164/1933-auburn-12-161a-cabriolet

The '33 Auburn Twelve sold for $96,000 plus $15,000 as buyer premium, sales tax etc.  It's headed to Tennessee.  Good Bye, lovely Auburn!  

48 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

I would take resale red over that white.

My grandfather always had a gallon of red paint and a stiff brush. Like the old lady said,

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

So 111.  I hadn't figured in the sales tax in my 103 so I wasn't far off.  Usually You don't get the sales tax hit until you go to DMV.  Part of the purchase price for sure,  but not usually figured in auction sales. 

The 8 might be more fun to own and repair as it probably isn't as costly as a 12 for parts.  

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

37 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

The 8 might be more fun to own and repair as it probably isn't as costly as a 12 for parts.  

A 6 cylinder is even more cost effective.:lol: And people will not notice old paint when you fly by.

Auburn 014.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As long as you have a good set of air cleaners.  Nice ones can command a premium.  Mine are full of dents.  The rest is pretty cheap off the shelf parts. 

The Cabrio was pretty needy.  Unfortunately didn't have the cash to be serious then either so it just got a casual once over.  I later found out the engine had been rebuilt,  which would have factored in alot if I was a serious buyer.  Once you've been down that engine rebuild road,  you place value higher on cars with good mechanicals to dead cows.  Thousands seem to disappear fast under the hood and you rarely recoup any of that money.  Now paint chrome and interior,  they seem to atleast give back a percentage of investment. 

I would still say a Conv't sedan would win out if the two were identical in condition and say something like color combo.   As you see above the difference in colors in those two cars is a world apart.   Atleast for me.   I would almost rather have the white on in black primer.   I guess that's easy enough to do. 

I know it's all about the car and forget the money,  but it's alot easier if you don't lose your shirt,  when explaining it all to your other half. 

Yeah, I talked to guy at Herhsey a bit, supposedly all mechanics done and car sorted for the road but for a family the convt. Sedan is obvioudly better and in this case, equally attractive.

On second thought maybe I should scratch the conv't sedan idea.  Living around here is like the insane asylum some days.  Last thing I want to do is pack it up and take it on the road. ;) 

• Haha 1