Hey Auburn Seeker!

1937-44

Well, the ride control and two speed rear end selectors on the dash say 1932 but it could be an 'updated' 1931. Couldn't read the engine number or see if it had the Startix to confirm year.

Still looks pretty nice although that engine's appearance really isn't in keeping with the rest of the car. Hmmm.

I wonder what a realistic number is on this car is.  Looking close at the pictures,  much of the white paint is failing badly,  mainly on the body.  I can't tell about the fenders.  Doesn't look like it was driven much by the condition of the inside of the fenders.  I didn't see much in the way of stone chips.  I would expect to see more chips and wear.  That can be good or bad.  I would assume it should get a new set of tires as well.  Not crazy about the white paint but since it needs to be redone,  that would allow one to paint it their choice but a paint job on this has got to be a minimum of 10 grand for a strip and respray with the owner doing alot of the work.  Seeing the one at Auburn in more attractive colors with better paint went for 80g?  is this a 60G car or a 70 G car?  Interior looks like incorrect material to me. Is it Leather or Vinyl?  I don't think it should have a metallic Sheen to it.  Maybe it was restored in the 60's?

Bidding says it's only open for 1 minute on one day.  I'm guessing that's a glitch. 

I'm getting ready to sell my Cord and this might just work out depending on the final number. Any experts out there want to give me an education on this one?  

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

Looks like it needs chrome work to some of it as well.  Pilot rays are oxidized and worn,  Lock rings are rusty as well.  Gauge cluster and bezels all oxidized.  It would be a fun one to get and tinker with while I drive.  Maybe only worth 50G?  Nothing mechanically looks fresh. 

Hopefully they do a bit of a write up.  No info yet.  Does it even run?  When was it last actually driven?  

Thanks for posting the link. 

• Like 1

Do you have the link to the face book post? 

Would one of these have ever been painted white like this?  I could live with the platinum/ goldish color.  I can't tell if that base color is falling off as well or just the accent.  

Alot of things i could live with if the price was right.   Wouldn't pay 80 if i had it though like the MAroon one went for,  as that was in better shape all around and a much more striking color combo. 

I can't seem to enlarge the pictures, but some observations;
front right door handle doesn't have a keyway, running board mat looks worn, ride control lever is up side down, does have the two speed control lever but could have gone to the factory for an update, the shifter lever looks like a 1931, also has an 80# oil pressure gauge, looks like a 1932 draft tube, don't think the steering column should be plated, interior material does not look right,  not sure but the speedometer needle doesn't look correct, ac fuel pump, and modern radiator core.

Image may contain: outdoor
chat-to-buy.pngMessage Seller

Edited by 1937-44 (see edit history)

I Guess by original they mean not modified.  Definitely restored at some point with those finishes.  Still could be fun and interesting.  Any thoughts on actual value?   Runs is a bit subjective can it be driven today or is runs just good enough to get it on and off the trailer?   I wonder how the wood is?  I think these are loaded with wood if I'm not mistaken.  With some of the plating being skipped during the restoration,  I wonder what else didn't get gone through?     Runs and drives well,  would be a bit better. 

I'm reluctant to speculate on value as it's been many years since I paid attention to prices. I'm sure others will chime in.

Agreed I would say it was "restored" years ago. Yes, it has a wood structure that is covered with sheet metal.

If I was serious about buying it I would have the car inspected by someone or make arrangements to check it out myself. In my opinion to much money to buy sight unseen.

Good luck.

Anyone in the area somewhat versed on Auburns or atleast early cars with lots of wood?   

I still have to make something happen with my Cord,  though with some stretching and it would be uncomfortable but could come up with some money on top of what I got for my Ford in the meantime if the deal was right. 

I can not spare the time to go look at it myself.  I have to try to get my garage done before snow flies which is going to be tight but possible.  The few days to check this out,  could be just the number of days I need to get it done. 

Living in the Northeast,  sucks this time of year as it seems we are always trying to cram to get work done before the (6 months last year) winter sets in.  Of course the days get shorter by a few minutes every day as well.  I've finished with a flash light more than once. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

Keep your priorities foremost in mind. You have things to do.Take your time, you are still relatively young. Don't buy YOUR Auburn sight unseen. You, and I and most of us here, know that when you are hunting a "keeper", it really has to be a true love affair. If you don't have time to look at a real prospect, wait until you are in a position to do so. It only took me 3 1/2 years to find my '24 Cadillac. Out of Hemmings on the opposite side of the country. 20 to find the '27, less than 200 miles from home on Craigslist. The '49 Fastback by the side of the road with a For Sale sign on it. The  '57 Eldorado convertible out of the corner of my eye in the back of a used truck lot. And many more which I fell totally in love with as soon as I could caress them. What satisfaction ! What a thrill ! For every one of the many cars I have  bought, there have been a number of pigs I have passed on. Buying a potential long sought after car without first falling in love with it, may indeed be the proverbial "pig in a poke".    -    CC 

• Like 2

I would have to look throught some old photos (like mid 1980s) but I am almost certain that I saw this one running and driving in the ACD parade then. Granted that was a long time ago but well past the time when a car like this would have fallen into disrepair. 

The few I have seen come up for sale reasonable (meaning those under 100G, there is a gorgeous green one in Germany in that range)  don't seem to come up all that often.  When you do a search of even google images for 1931-1933 Auburn Convertible sedans or Auburns for that fact of that era,  there are usually only a few listed for sale a year.

Thinking the V12 Cabriolet , a 1933 which seem to be a little more desirable, Sold for right around 100 in probably a little better shape,  Different tier car as well with the V12 power,  the Maroon conv't sedan that sold at Auburn this fall,  probably the closest most recent gauge, which seems like the place you would get the most for one, at 80G.

A slightly worse Cabriolet that was suppose to be all original that I think was even on this site that was offered at I think 65G.

I think Hyman even had a few for sale over the years that were in the 80 ish range in better shape.

So few come up that the images seem to remain on google for years.  Xander's Speedster project still comes up.  A speedster that was a project that sold I think over 10 years ago.  A 33 cabriolet Maroon and Silver,  I was strongly considering,  but we had just bought a new house so the planets weren't properly aligned that had been for sale for over a year at 65G.  All new chrome,  presentable paint,  but needing a new interior as it was poorly redone and never installed. 

Seems average market on these falls 60 -80 G.  Now the wrong upholstery, bad paint that you can't puff up and will need a full repaint all drag it down.   I'm thinking that the 50 to 60 range is not unrealistic.  The current drop in alot of old cars,  not factored in as maybe Auburns are somewhat resistant to the drop.  There is a Speedster rebodied in Aluminum by one of Harrah's guys in the 70's on ebay with a freshly rebuilt engine but paint issues ,  which falls into a different category,  but has run the ebay Gauntlet twice and stopped at the 30G mark last time.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1933-Auburn-8-101-Boat-Tail-Speedster-Gorgeous-Ready-to-Tour-See-VIDEO/163895237808?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Hard to use it as a comp,  but it is a comp to some degree.  I know they are asking around 100G for that or were when it first hit hemmings a month or so ago.  I would even be interested in that car in say the 50 ish range, but surprisingly I like the convertible sedan a tad more.  Cabriolet comes in 3rd.  Then i'm not interested in a closed car.  The reason I was able to walk from that very nice 32 Plymouth Coupe at Hershey.  

s-l1600.jpg

There was also a very similar one,  though I think it was a 32 for sale on ebay about 7 or so years ago that sold,  but I'm sure this is a different car. That was 65G and in better shape.   The colors were quite similar.  Though maybe tans and browns rather than whites. One of the dealers ended up with it and marked it up 20G.  They were asking I think 85G.   I contacted the owner but again,  was short on money at the time.   I think it was a year before I bought my Cord.

well Steve and Randy, hope you both are closer then me on price as it would be nice to see Randy get this car. I see the late 20s bring in the 60s and think the 30s are a bit more desirable.

the paint does pull it back a good 10%, but if the others are at 80k, that still wont get it for 50k.  will be interesting to see what it brings. dont forget the auction house fees as well.

Of course we know this is an auction as well so things could fall flat or set a record and there is no rhyme or reason why.   Seems not the best choice of auction companies for this type of car as they sell farm equipment and real estate.  

I would have probably never found it if you guys hadn't posted it, though I do random auburn searches occasionally. 

1 minute ago, mercer09 said:

well Steve and Randy, hope you both are closer then me on price as it would be nice to see Randy get this car. I see the late 20s bring in the 60s and think the 30s are a bit more desirable.

the paint does pull it back a good 10%, but if the others are at 80k, that still wont get it for 50k.  will be interesting to see what it brings. dont forget the auction house fees as well.

Wonder how the fees work on this one?  That is the one good thing with ebay.  Your bid is your bid,  you don't have to figure in the extra 10 or so Percent.  Almost seems foolish to sell it that way if that is the margin.  The seller gets 20 percent less for the car than an outright sale which at 50G is 10G.  That's a pretty big hit for an online only auction. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

A real 12 cabriolet is an expensive car.  More than 100 unless it is in pieces.

Actually one posted here on the forums last summer, the summer of 2018, sold at an estate auction that was well advertised and if memory serves me was right around 100.  Maybe 103G. That number sticks in my head.  Pretty good car but again paint issues.  Might have been blue?  The Auction was in NY state. 

I would take resale red over that white.  

Taylormade;

Thanks for checking. 

That 12 was in Geneseo, NY, not far from me: https://www.cottoneauctions.com/lots/55164/1933-auburn-12-161a-cabriolet

The '33 Auburn Twelve sold for $96,000 plus $15,000 as buyer premium, sales tax etc.  It's headed to Tennessee.  Good Bye, lovely Auburn!  

48 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

I would take resale red over that white.

My grandfather always had a gallon of red paint and a stiff brush. Like the old lady said,

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 1