With the new rules for judging nationals I need 10 field points and next year it's only a 2 hour drive from me. The problem is, I don't keep my check book register up to date, so if you think I use the little blue slip to keep track of points.... (sometimes I am a millennial after all) Honestly I look at my forum signature and add the points from the event! I also don't have my chips all in one spot, I never got around to mounting them. I *think* I hit eleven last week at Hershey, but how can I find out for sure?

I think I've done Hershey 6 times (once as apprentice), Charlotte 2, Huntington 1, New Bern 1 and Gettysburg 1.

23 minutes ago, Restorer32 said:

What are the new rules? Field points? Due to physical limitations I have been unable to add to my 93 judging credits I am sorry to say.

I believe the old rules were you needed 10 points to judge at grand nationals... now you need 10 field points (aka 10 actual shows judging rather than judging 3 times and getting an extra CJE point...)

• 2 months later...
Guest Mark McAlpine

"Field judging credits" mean you need to have actually judged that many times.  The intent of the change was to ensure judges at Grand Nationals had the necessary experience to judge at that level.  (The previous 10 points requirement conceivably meant you could have judged only three times and attained the other points from attending Judging School and CJE three times each plus earned 1 Milestone Credit CJE after reaching 5 points.)

Mr. Frantz--from your brief description of your judging experience, you qualify.  

Restorer 32--with 93 judging credits, you easily qualify.

Edited by Mark McAlpine
Change "field points" to correct term--"field judging credits" (see edit history)
  • 2 months later...

Mark, nice meeting you and Marion at the Winter National. (Don't feel bad if you don't remember me. We spoke Saturday for about 5 minutes on the judging field.) She is a very good instructor. Thanks for the explanation above. I read VIII, A, 3, "Master judges or above" and did not notice paragraph 5 that states, "at least 10 field judging credit." I am considering attending the Grand National in Allentown and possibly judging. Guess I have a little more work to do. 

Guest Mark McAlpine

Hello, James.  I remember you.  You and your wife Sherry are in the Ft Lauderdale Region, and she's president of the region.  Marion & I enjoyed meeting and speaking with you both, even if was for only five minutes.  A belated congratulations on your 1932 Chevrolet receiving its well-deserved Senior Award and Sherry's 1959 Apache receiving its Second Junior Award!  (As you know, you can write the VP Judging--Chuck Crane--and ask for feedback from judging, and he'll send you copies of the judging form.  No points, but the circles around areas where your vehicle(s) received deductions so you can look at them, identify the issue(s), and address them.

Even if you can't judge at the Grand Nationals in Allentown, I strongly encourage you to attend.  The cars will be beautiful (and probably over 600 at the show), the Zenith Award-nominated vehicles will be on display with judging on Friday and the winner announced that afternoon, and we will be able to visit the Nicola Bulgari collection (a very special treat in itself).  And I realize it's a long haul for you, but you could bring your 1932 and go for its Grand National First Prize Award.

And thank you for your kind words about Marion.  She's definitely a better instructor than me, and she appreciated the compliment.

Marion & I look forward to seeing you & Sherry in Allentown, if not before then.  Best wishes.

Edited by Mark McAlpine
Deleted "correct?" in third sentence because I know it's correct. (see edit history)