Sign in to follow this  
29 franklin

1931 franklin covers

Jim,

The 31 accessory catalog listed both cloth and metal covers (Lyon brand). The metal ones are quite rare and expensive if you can find them. 

Most any auto upholstery shop can make cloth covers using the factory drawing #42993.

Then there were non-factory covers available in the day, so just about any cover that fits would be period correct.

Depending on the brand of tire, they may not fit in the fender wells with tire covers on. Some brands, like the older Lesters, are quite large, even though they were sold as 6.50-19.  I've had some tires that had to have most of the air let out to fit the tire down into the fender well far enough to get the hold down clamp and straps to work.

Paul

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)

Paul, Getting new firestones 650 x19 as we speak. The same as Tony Adams. I like his covers . No shops like that in my neck of the woods. Any ideas? 

The firestones fit inside the Franklin  factory accessor  Lyon covers fine. And while it's a snug fit, the covers and wheels fit down into the wells. The problem is finding a set of those covers.

Paul 

Lyons covers are made of unobtanium since the Indy region of the CCCA stopped making Steel reproductions years ago.  

Your best bet is to keep an eye out and hope to get lucky.  I know a guy that offered 4K for an original spare set of 18 inch covers and was turned down.

Personally I would go bare before putting a cloth cover on.

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)

5 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

Do you have a picture of what exactly you are looking for to match ?

John,

They are a simple, painted face plate that fits under the edge of and is held by spring tension of the chrome plated outer band. Pic of an original Franklin Lyon cover,  three pix from the dealer's 31 accessory catalog.

Paul

DSCN6242.JPG

DSCN8639.JPG

DSCN8637.JPG

DSCN8640.JPG

Here's another shot of an original Lyon cover on a 153.

If you notice, the factory picture shows the tire is strapped to the cowl brace before the cover goes on. Most owners put the straps on over the cover,..... which  eventually marks it up.  

Paul

P1010014.JPG

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)

Yes, that would be a Lyon type Cover.  There is another style I have seen for 1931 and that was all painted with each cover having a stainless bead.  And, there is the 32 -33 Series 16 style one piece cover that you occasionally see on a Series 153.

West Peterson (AACA Forum moderator) was at one time reproducing the Lyon Emblem for the covers.

We have some reproduction covers left via CCCA - they are spun, in bare metal, and take a "considerable" amount of handiwork to prep for Chrome plating the tread plate (and you really need to be super skilled and do it yourself as too much work/too cost prohibitive for most chrome platers).  https://inrccca.org/2019/10/03/cover-strip/

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

John, would love to have a set of metal covers but I do not think that is going to happen. Cloth is going to have to do . Just want Ed's car to look a little better .