B Jake Moran

Making The Case to Collect a Last Generation Park Ave

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 9:09 AM, 60FlatTop said:

That's personal taste and I do own a 1986 PA, but they are not Buicks of the traditional type I grew up with.

Agree on that!

GM could have learned from BMC/British Leyland's mistakes a generation earlier; especially 'brand dilution'.  Very few consider the Farina-body 1959 Mk. IV & later MG Magnette four door sedan to be a true MG.

Craig

If you are old enough to want a Buick you should be at a point where you can tell the difference between engineering and gadgetry. The topic Park Avenues are loaded with gadgets.

My son had a 2000 and the door handles had something in them that caused them to fail, locked. It's a known problem. He bought it with the rear doors closed. They never opened.

Then the driver door handle failed and he was sliding across the seat to got out the passenger door. Foolish me, figured if three of the four failed he had better maintain two operating doors. What do I know, I only spawned him. Lucky he was on the outside the day the last one failed 'cause when they fail the door will not open from the inside or outside.

Be prepared, there are a lot of door handles on Ebay, I mean a loooong list of them.

Bernie

I found a 1991 Buick Park Avenue (not an Ultra, which I didn't want) last November from a dealer in Michigan. He claimed it had only 3,016 miles on it.  I had a childhood friend who lived nearby go over and look at it and drive it.  When I talked to my  friend he said, "what can I say, it's a new car, even smells new".  So I bought it for 13K and had it shipped to Florida.  My parents' last car was a 1991 PA, which I inherited, and then passed it to my daughter in Baltimore.  She drove the wheels off of it and at 200K miles drove it from Baltimore to central Florida without using a drop of oil, and I gave her my 100K 2001 PA that I bought new.  She is still driving that one with over 200K on it now.When I received '91 PA I found my childhood friend was right.  It still had the original U.S. Royal tires and oil filter on it.  I was the first one to change the oil!  I also bought some new Cooper white walls for it.  I sure did hate taking off those U.S. Royals, but they bumped on the road and I was afraid of them.  I had to replace  switch in the A/C and the fluid to get the A/C going.

In February I drove the car to the AACA National in Ocala, FL and got a First Junior.  All I'd done was wipe it off a little.  Then I spent the next nine months or so with both myself and my wife having to go through major surgeries.  So then at the end of October the AACA National Meet was held in Mobile, AL.  I drove the car to Mobile and got my AACA Senior.  It now has 5,300+ miles on it.  Before going I replaced an automatic A/C fan module.  When I returned after another 1135 mile round trip it wanted new rear brake cylinders.  This is all stuff that the 28  years of sitting had weakened.  Now I plan to tour the car; although I may drive it to the AACA Grand National in Allentown, PA next summer and try for a Grand National Badge.

Why did I want an old Park Avenue?  It doesn't look like an antique car, but it is 28 years old so it meets the 25 year standard.  I bought a 1995 LeSabre Limited in 1995 brand new, then bought a new 2001 Park Avenue.  I added a 1997 LeSabre Limited for a second car, then traded it in on a 2005 Park Avenue at a local Cadillac dealer in 2007.  That car had 7,000 miles on it at two years old.  I gave the 2001 Park Avenue to my daughter in Baltimore and then missed it, so I bought a  used 2001 PA for a second car.  When I traded the '05 in on a 2013 Dodge Charger I actually drove the second 2001 as my first car.  So, there is the answer to why I wanted a Park Avenue collector car.  Those LeSabre Limiteds and Park Avenue's were the very best cars I ever owned out of over 80 cars in my life. 

I can drive this car anywhere.  If you live in central Florida you better plan on long-haul driving to get out of the state and enjoy serious antique car activity.  I still have a 1941 Roadmster and my original first collector car 1939 Buick sidemounter, but with the traffic like it is, and parts or mechanics along the interstates what they are, you'd better plan on a trailer, and I'm getting a little old for a trailer.  The AACA Sentimental Tour next June in W.Virginia is probably my last trip with the 24-foot Haulmark closed trailer.

1991 Buick Park Avenue Princess.jpg

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I just sold my '95 Park Avenue.  I agree with it being a great car.  I just needed to get rid of one car. I like the ride and space in my Roadmaster better. A little.  Those PAs and Lesabres make good daily drivers at good value.  

Ben

• Like 1

What is the down side to the Lucerne?

It was made after the PA and should be easier to find,   2006-2008 the 3800 V6 was the standard engine,  2009 the 3.9 V6 was standard (I don't know anything about the 3.9...was it similar to the 3.6V6?)

The Northstar V8 was an option from the beginning until the end in 2011......... I purchased a 2007 one owner with Northstar just to test the performance of the V8, had it over a year,  on one trip I was getting 24 mpg out of the V8.

The main reason for selling was the car had the magnaride suspension and the front struts were not working.....replacement was expensive and the car was approaching 100k so I sold it to a fellow in Michigan that was looking for a rust free replacement for his wrecked Cadillac. 

I would buy another but would try to find one with less miles.

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)

19 hours ago, Dynaflash8 said:

1991 Buick Park Avenue Princess.jpg

This is probably the best looking Buick sedan from the 1990's, though I would take a Roadmaster Estate wagon as first choice.

There's a rather nice 1996 Roadmaster wagon which recently sold here:  http://www.centralfloridaautomotive.com/web/vehicle/2057658

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)

14 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

This is probably the best looking Buick sedan from the 1990's

I agree - I had a '91 LeSabre and probably would still have it if the body hadn't succumbed to CNY road salt...

The 3.8 engine was the best engine GM ever made, in my opinion.  And, I think the only reason they stopped making these cars was because they lasted too long.  You almost couldn't wear out the engine.  Electronics was another story, but that has been the case with GM clear back into the sixties.

2 hours ago, 8E45E said:

This is probably the best looking Buick sedan from the 1990's,

Take a close look at the early 1990's Buick sedans and you see a lot of Jaguar XJ6 in the body shape and proportions. The is a curvature call ogee in design. Coming toward you the Jaguar and Buick have the same ogee. That's a lot of it.

Bernie

3 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Take a close look at the early 1990's Buick sedans and you see a lot of Jaguar XJ6 in the body shape and proportions.

Its also the fit & finish.  There appeared to be much better quality control in the body construction, and the panel gaps were much better than most other GM products at the time, and even today.

Craig

60FlatTop always saw that in that vintage PA

maybe its because i love the Jags

did'nt much care for the vent window design but i would'nt turn one

down because of it

On 11/7/2019 at 6:13 PM, Barney Eaton said:

What is the down side to the Lucerne?

Too small in the interior for my comfort!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I drove my friend's Lucerne on many occasions. Couldn't wait to get back in my Park Avenues.

On 11/6/2019 at 5:34 PM, 60FlatTop said:

The topic Park Avenues are loaded with gadgets.

What gadgets? Radio? Heat? Air conditioning? I like those in a car. 😁  

And I LOVE the supercharger!

Neither of my three Park Avenues have had door handle trouble. And one just turned 252,500 miles. Its a 1998, same door handle as your son's 2000 and my 2005. The 1995 has actual push buttons on the exterior handle to open the door! Just like a REAL car.😉 Right Earl?

According to the dash display, my 98 non-Ultra is averaging 26 mpg in my to and from work driving everyday. Luckily my going to and from work involves rural roads near where Earl used to live in Northern Neck VA.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

Its a 1998, same door handle as your son's 2000 and my 2005.

I was reading the topic as "last generation".

Right, wouldn't the 1997 to 2005 be the last generation?

Unless you count the Chinese version that came later.

As an aside, my 1995 has more options than either the 98 or 2005 model. I guess the light minder might be a "gadget", but it works well. And the sun visors for the rear seat passengers have been used too.

I think some of the earlier years Ultra's will be the ticket, 1rst and 2nd gen.  Interiors are second to none and the Jaguaresque styling on the 2nd gen is impeccable.  Does anyone remember how stunning the 2nd gens concept car the Essence was in it's original pearl mint before it went to white? 

image.thumb.png.01ac99836de352b73b1eeec1990ff058.png

image.png.5da2b9196693f1e1ea95fc2e9dd2dad3.png

Edited by Y-JobFan (see edit history)
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Y-JobFan said:

I think some of the earlier years Ultra's will be the ticket, 1rst and 2nd gen.  Interiors are second to none and the Jaguaresque styling on the 2nd gen is impeccable.  Does anyone remember how stunning the 2nd gens concept car the Essence was in it's original pearl mint before it went to white? 

image.thumb.png.01ac99836de352b73b1eeec1990ff058.png

image.png.5da2b9196693f1e1ea95fc2e9dd2dad3.png

I stood and gaped at this car , in the original mint, lengthily and repeatedly at the Chicago Auto Show in McCormick Place.  The '91-'96 PA was a reasonable production interpretation.  But that Essence was a beauty!