27 chrysler ignition timing

steven 123

There probably was an "instruction book" (owner's manual) that came with the car that will contain that information. If it is anything like my '33 Plymouth, you open an inspection plate on the bell housing and rotate the engine until the 0°TDC mark lines up with a pointer. Then you adjust the points so they just open. All this with the engine off, of course. To check when the points open a test lamp, volt-ohm or continuity tester can be used.

On your '27 there is probably a manual spark advance. I would guess that control needs to be set in a particular location before adjusting the points.

Again, getting a copy of the manual that came with the car, even just a reprint, will be invaluable for you.

44 minutes ago, steven 123 said:

early 20"s car only had owners manuals..... I found a early chevy book but it did not show it.....thanks for the info...I really do appreciate this

The "Instruction Book" IS the owner's manual for Chrysler products. Here is an example and it will have the timing information in it. You might go to Bishko Books for the Model 50 Instruction Book. There were no shop manuals for those years.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrysler-62-Instruction-Book-Second-Edition-July-1927/233292961485?hash=item36515816cd:g:v2gAAOSwX7BdNJCb

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Can you post some pictures of the engine here , please ?  I saw some pictures of some engines where the distributors are at the end of generators and in some unusual places. More  information is needed.  Is the engine apart and is now being put back together ? If it is anything like my Senior 6,  I know how to time that. There is a metal cover behind at the bell housing. Remove that and look carefully. Pinch the flywheel slowly , rotation of the engine, and look for the timing mark stamped. While turning look at the distributer rotor at the same time. Remove the #1 plug and put a straw in the hole. The straw will be pushed up or down by the piston. Remove the valve cover from  near the # cylinder and have an assistant look to see when the intake and exhaust valves begin to overlap and point the rotor to the # 1 position on the cap for the # plug wire. REMEMBER, IT TAKES 2 ROTATION of the flywheel FOR ANY PISTON TO REACH COMPRESSION AT  TDC. At one mark the piston will be at the bottom and the next round the piston will be at TDC.   But concentrate on #1 and the rest will follow. Valve timing is done with the timing cover off. Ignition timing is putting the distributor shaft in the correct position in relation to the firing piston in a  particular order.

• 2 weeks later...

sorry it took so long to get back had surgery on right hand....on the 4 cyl flat head I am working on I put a straw in #1 cylinder to bring up to tdc ...the ignition rotor is apx 1/16 inch off when I used my light to check for static spark which I have.....engine is running but can hear a slight backfire worse when cold I have never pulled on of these distributors....is it just gear driven that I could pull it and reset it ?...I am using the 1-4-3-2 firing order...any other ideas?

I have a 27 Chrysler 50 and have always had good results with the following easy timing method:  remove #1 sparkplug. With the hand crank, turn the motor over slowly (ignition 0ff) with your thumb over the #1 spark plug hole.  Turn until you feel air pressure on your thumb. After loosening the hold down distributor plate bolt, stop and turn distributor so the rotor points to the cap terminal which connects to the #1 plug. (replace the cap and make a crayon mark if necessary on the distributor body).  Try to set it so the points are just slightly open.  This may take several tries but it will work. Later, you can advance the timing for better running.  This motor does not have any timing marks. There is no hole in the bell housing like later Chrysler or Plymouth products. 

• 4 years later...