different type of seals

trini

:DThere used to be different types of oil seals in my working days, that is 65 years ago. Now I do not know how many manufacturers are still around. I remember "National"  as a popular brand  It supplied a sleeve with an installer for grooved shaft. I also bought something called "Rawhide " sleeves made with real leather. But the" Rawhide" seal did not turn on the shaft, They were manufactured in 2 pieces and turned inside each other where the sealing took place. I used them a lot on tractor trailer axles  wheels that used oil rather than grease. I do not know if they are still around . If small ones can be obtained for old engines  crankshaft in the collector hobby It will nice. 

Timken bought National Seal Company.

The sleeve thingy you mention is, undoubtedly, the SKF Speedi-Sleeve.

SKF bought Chicago Rawhide some years ago.

The effect of the CR transaction was an immediate 30% cost increase for me across the board.

On the upside I believe ALL the part numbers remain virtually unchanged.

There are Timken and SKF seal and bearing cross reference documents as well as dimension documents on line. Many of those old seals and bearings are listed against their current number if available.

Qik-sleeve (or similar) is another brand of "speedy sleeve" and there are others.