90 Sputters Under Load on Regular Gas?

tjenkins

Over the past year, since we've been in the mainland, my 90 seems to cough and spit under load with regular gas. Premium produces a more smoother ride under load with no discernable hesitation.

Previous three years in Hawaii seemed to be ok on regular gas.

Got any ideas?

--Tom

Going back to the fundamentals - Check

[*]Sparkplugs use AS Delco Rapid Fire #3

[*]Sparkplug wires

[*]Clean fuel injectors and combustion chamber (RedLine or Techron)

[*]Air filter

[*]Coil pack (this is the likely component)

The converter not completely locking up might be an age problem and can be seen as a sputter but premium gas would not cure or change.

Watch OPA3 (knock sensor) for a while . May get a bunch on start up but area of concern is while running rough after goes into closed loop.

May be carboned up. Old time cure was to run 6 3/4 oz of water through intake slowly while keeping revs up. Not certain if ok for MAF.

Sorry to say so Tom, but I have no idea how to get past that prob. I've totally given up on the idea of saving a couple of pennies per gallon to shove regular in her. My '90 did the same as yours and I'm sure, whether they not realize it or not, everyone who puts low octane fuel in these girls are destroying them slowly. I've tried to tell people, but few listen because it works for a while. My philosophy: Everything works until it breaks down.

crazy.gif

Guest Buick Mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...whether they not realize it or not, everyone who puts low octane fuel in these girls are destroying them slowly. </div></div>

That is simply not true. These engines were designed to run on regular 87 octane and, if operating properly, are quite happy to do so. The use of a higher octane fuel is, at best, a waste of money and can actually hurt performance. In the odd instance where premium fuel seems to be necessary, well... that would be the rare exception. The vast majority of our cars will live a long and happy life running good old regular.

Mike