What a beautiful Lancia. Seems like a great deal...

But I'm completely ignorant of these cars. Look forward to you experts teaching me about this model. Hopefully someone here might be interested. Only 18 hr.s left on the auction. With a v6 (which they claim has been rebuilt) I'm guessing it was fairly fast in the day.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1961-Lancia-Flaminia-PF-Coupe/123935548056?hash=item1cdb226298:g:Au4AAOSwd0tdn6T8

s-l500.jpg

• Like 1

Very nice cars, but all the low production cost hurdles one might expect.  Some of the recent costs mentioned in the auction description are quite typical, EG. an $1800.00 brake booster.

Mechanical parts are no doubt generally available but sheet metal and trim is probably a big problem even in Italy.  And all the Italian cars of this era prefer a dry climate.

I doubt Lancia's are any more rot resistant than Alfa's. Great cars if you live in Arizona, but they will dissolve before your eyes if you live in the rust belt. 

Alfa GTV's are a bit smaller and more costly to buy up front. But are probably a better long term ownership package. Better parts support, bigger fan base, most likely a higher percentage of cost recovery

over long term ownership.

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Yes, since my post I've found that finding parts is a big negative for these cars. This particular version of the Flaminia - the notchback coupe -  is (apparently) considered the least attractive of the Flaminias of this era, and I still think it looks fantastic. A PininFarina design, so there you go. One just like it sold for $32,000 on Bring a Trailer in August, so I may have been right about it being a good deal. The four door version is fairly awkward looking, though.

The two seater is probably the coolest looking:

• 87372 2

Edited by JamesR (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Early Pininfarina designs are highly sought after. Availability of parts, and things like that are not really relevant. It's the condition of the body and being rust free that are foremost. If it were an Alfa it may have sold for triple, so maybe it should be considered a bargain, at $23,000.

• Like 2

Pininfarina designed the Berlina (sedan) and coupe', the GT coupe and convertible are by Touring, and you can see the close resemblance to the Maserati 3500 they also did.  A friend had a Touring coupe and it was a very pleasant car.  The Zagato bodied ones are the most valuable.

• Like 2

I happened to drive a v. similar car back in Sept, 1998, at the 25th Dutch Lancia club meet :

https://viva-lancia.com/huib/tulp98/index.htm

These are very expensive cars to repair/restore, and the then current owner was worried about a engine knock that would appear...

The greatest problem is that many Flaminias just don't bring much when its time for resale, with the exception of the Zagato bodied version, which has entered into silly money levels.

Here is another article concerning a Flaminia Touring boded coupe, which is a real beauty when finished :

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/article/back-from-the-brink-1963-lancia-flaminia/

I still have a pair of Lancia Fulvias, both 1967 US versions, a 1.3 Coupe and a 1.3 Zagato. Well made, interesting, fun cars to work on and drive. But very different from the larger Flaminia series.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AlfaTazio said:

I still have a pair of Lancia Fulvias, both 1967 US versions, a 1.3 Coupe and a 1.3 Zagato. Well made, interesting, fun cars to work on and drive. But very different from the larger Flaminia series.

Very interesting. Beautiful Flaminia that you drove. Thanks for the info. Any chance we could see some photos of your current Lancia Fulvias?

Hi James,

I am one of those guys who almost never takes a photo of something, and have to have my wife take the photos and post them.

However, here are the two cars in a R&T article, my Coupe is Italian Red and the Zagato is in black.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a28772/archived-drive-1967-lancia-fulvia/

any other Lancia info, I can try and help. American Lancia Club has a website, Viva lancia from above is also a good source, the website owner, Huib Guerink, was the owner of the aforementioned Flamina PF Coupe. I am certain that at least someone on these pages might have visited the infamous Lancia Parts Consortium just north of Pittsburgh, back in the day. If there ever was a Aladdin's cave of Lancia cars and spares, that had to be it. Closed back in 2004, I think.

• Like 1

I hear you about photos. Half the time when I try to take a photo with my cell phone, I've done something wrong. My kids have helped me out, but they're going off to college next year....What will I do then? 😄

Thanks for linking the informative article.