Sign in to follow this  
Kestrel

how to remove temp gauge ? '51 Buick

I need to remove a broken engine temperature gauge from behind the dash instrument (cluster) on my "51 Buick Super. It's not really a cluster but a single round housing that holds the amp gauge as well. I see 2 slot head screws on the back  that appear to secure the temp capillary tube that originates from the cylinder head. Does the entire fixture need to be removed from the dash or does the temp gauge somehow wiggle free after removing these 2 screws while leaving the housing in place ? Any assistance appreciated !

!IMG_0018.thumb.jpeg.7b9267e706aa9299f4370dad2b2b804d.jpeg

It's been a long time since I had mine out, but I think you can wiggle it free from the gauge once you remove the screws...mine's a little different since it's a '53, but I think the idea's the same.  I don't remember taking out the whole cluster when I had my temp gauge rebuilt.

• Thanks 1

you should be able to remove the temp gauge from the housing, most AC factory gauges are design that way in this era. But Pontiac used a similar design for the gauges in 1955-56, pictured is the backside of the temp gauge and amp gauge, if your buick gauges housing looks the same, it appears that you'll have to remove the housing first, then un crimp the housing to get to the gauges.

20191017_203255.jpg

Edited by pontiac1953
Information and picture added (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Thanks '53  ! After using a better light I see my gauge has a couple of attachment clamp screws similar to your picture, that need to come off. Then remove the whole gauge. It's just hard to see with all the wires in the way. 

• Like 1