63-65 Riviera drive shaft question

I have a question about Riviera u-joints.  I have a 64 Riviera and was absolutely shocked when I pulled the engine and transmission out.  The drive shaft had 5 u-joints which I had never herd of' before.  I just saw 63 Riviera for sale on Bring a Trailer that showed a picture of the rear of the drive shaft where it connected to the differential and there was only one u-joint.  Not two as my 64 has.  It seams strange that 63 and 64 would be different since only the transmission was different.  What did GM do on the 65 Riviera?

Many cars have driveshaft with constant velocity u-joints.  They help eliminate vibration and a lower floor.  Contrary to what many believe the CV joint can be separated and serviced like any other spicer style U-joint.

10 hours ago, Tinindian said:

Contrary to what many believe the CV joint can be separated and serviced like any other spicer style U-joint.

Absolutely -- I just replaced the forward U-joint of the rearmost CV on my '67 Riviera.  Someone had replaced the rearmost joint previously.  As it turns out, I think most of the vibration was caused by the front (single) joint at the transmission.  It was dry inside and was noticeably 'notchy' when flexed (see link)...

https://forums.aaca.org/topic/328535-67-riviera-driveshaft-cv-joints/?do=findComment&comment=1897002

I replaced all five in my '64 Riviera to get ready to drive to the Buick Nationals in Sandusky, Ohio. I couldn't drive the caps out far enough to remove them as usual from the CV sections. I ended up cutting the cross with a torch and knocking the caps out with a punch. That was the only hitch.

I did have a CV ball replaced on a '67 Cadillac by a professional driveshaft shop. That was a flop, took it back 3 or 4 times and they never got it right. I found a good one in a junkyard and it was fine. The rebuilt one leaned against the wall of the garage for close to 20 years and then I threw it out.

Bernie

10 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

The rebuilt one leaned against the wall of the garage for close to 20 years and then I threw it out.

Hmmmm, five more years and you could have priced it as a 'classic'...  :unsure:

On 10/16/2019 at 4:36 PM, 5632 said:

I have a question about Riviera u-joints.  I have a 64 Riviera and was absolutely shocked when I pulled the engine and transmission out.  The drive shaft had 5 u-joints which I had never herd of' before.  I just saw 63 Riviera for sale on Bring a Trailer that showed a picture of the rear of the drive shaft where it connected to the differential and there was only one u-joint.  Not two as my 64 has.  It seams strange that 63 and 64 would be different since only the transmission was different.  What did GM do on the 65 Riviera?

Buick changed the driveline from the `63 configuration to the configuration on your `64 in very early `64...so some `64 Rivs were produced with what most would consider a `63 driveshaft arrangement. There is a `64 Buick service bulletin which describes the changes.

Buick used the 2nd `64 arrrangement in the `65 cars.

Tom Mooney