Sloth

1903 Cleveland Roadster project

Many think reproducing an early car body is "easy", well, it is NOT. Your work looks great, and the small details that really make up a good job are all included in your build.......WELL DONE!

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Mike Macartney and Edinmass, gentlemen thank you for your appreciation. Reading about both of your restorations, I must say your appreciation means a lot to me.

Regards,
Harm

• Like 2

I am inspired by your body, especially as I will have to do that myself some time in the future. I was wondering about the thickness of the side panels. I've had a couple of wooden bodies - later than yours, and I don't remember the panels being that thick. Might it cause a weight problem?

• Like 2

I echo what has been said above.  Very nice craftsmanship that will give you a very robust seat assembly.

Al

• Like 1

Harm,

It does look as if you and  Anna will be posing on Christmas sitting in the new seat of your Cleveland.  How are you going to "fix" the vertical runners in the seat back to the seat base.  I am very impressed with your design that will result is a very sound structure and should provide you with many hours and miles of fun when done.

Al

• Like 1

22 hours ago, JV Puleo said:

I am inspired by your body, especially as I will have to do that myself some time in the future. I was wondering about the thickness of the side panels. I've had a couple of wooden bodies - later than yours, and I don't remember the panels being that thick. Might it cause a weight problem?

Hello sir, it feels good inspiring people😊. The side panels of the front seat are 2 glued together boards of plywood. Thickness of each = 9/16" total 1 1/8". Its a waterproof quality plywood, but light weight.

The rear panel of the seat is build by gluing 2 flexible layers plywood of 9/32"  thickness, total 9/16".

Regards,

Harm

Edited by Sloth (see edit history)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, alsfarms said:

Harm,

It does look as if you and  Anna will be posing on Christmas sitting in the new seat of your Cleveland.  How are you going to "fix" the vertical runners in the seat back to the seat base.  I am very impressed with your design that will result is a very sound structure and should provide you with many hours and miles of fun when done.

Al

Al, I am working to it. The vertical runners in the seat back will be joined on a small beam on the bottom of the seat frame, and on top, on the timber which runs from left to the right side. Tomorrow I will post detailed pictures of it.

Now the glue has hardened, the seat  is very rigid, won't fall apart for the first decades ☺️ (or hundred years).

Regarding the weight, this afternoon I weighted the frame, seat and slope nosed hood.
Frame: 95 lbs
Seat: 37 lbs
Hood: 16 lbs
Total weight: 148 lbs = 67 Kg

I Guess that the toneau will be about 90 to 100 lbs. Including the upholstery, I guess that the body (which includes the toneau) weighs in total about 270 t0 290 lbs.
I must admit that I have not the slightest idea if that is heavy or not.

Gentlemen, please let me know what your thoughts are about this.

Regards,

Harm

• Like 2

Hello Harm,

Weight is the very problem that early automobile makers had to deal with regarding lower HP offerings.  That is why I suppose the roadster model was pushed a lot because they simply performed better with less weight.  It will be nice if others who have direct experience with early Cad's., Ford's, REO's, Olds and others will chime in with weights of rear entrance versions of their automobiles.

Regards,

Al 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Sloth said:

Gentlemen, please let me know what your thoughts are about this.

Sorry Harm, I have no idea of the weight of the body on the Crestmobile. All I can say is that I am surprised the steepness of the hills it will climb in low gear. Too date, Jane has never had to get out to push!

• Like 1

Hello Harm,

Are we going to see you and Anna in the Cleveland seat for Christmas.  That will be the best Christmas cheer for us!  Merry Christmas to you.....

Regards,

Al

• Like 1

Dear ladies and gentlemen , at last: here we are, (Anna and I) sitting in the Cleveland.

1935102951_AhappyChristmasseating3.thumb.jpg.d5d1023ecee448a4e861ee2fec50cdb5.jpg

Regards,

Harm

Edited by Sloth (see edit history)
  • Like 6

Now what a charming couple and great picture this is!  I am very happy for both of you and to be willing to work together on a common project and then be able to sit together for a nice Christmas Card picture!   🙂 I note that Anna is in the drivers seat!  Good for you Anna! 🙂  It is my hope that the Valentines picture will be the two of you sitting in the tonneau seat (lovers seat) for a similar picture!  Enjoy a memorable Christmas and Happy New years celebration!

Regards,

Alan

PS: Keep up the good work!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alsfarms said:

Now what a charming couple and great picture this is!  I am very happy for both of you and to be willing to work together on a common project and then be able to sit together for a nice Christmas Card picture!   🙂 I note that Anna is in the drivers seat!  Good for you Anna! 🙂  It is my hope that the Valentines picture will be the two of you sitting in the tonneau seat (lovers seat) for a similar picture!  Enjoy a memorable Christmas and Happy New years celebration!

Regards,

Alan

PS: Keep up the good work!

Hallo Alan,

Thank you for your nice compliments, we feel honored. We wish you good health and happy celebrations.

Regards,

Harm

• Like 2

Congratulations and well done finishing to the stage you can sit in the car and take a photo. Also for making it into a great Christmas card. Maybe I need Al to give me some challenges to get a bit further on with my project! :) Seasons Greetings Mike

• Like 1

Good Day Harm, On the day after Christmas.  This is the kick-back day where we get rested up after Christmas Celebration.   I hope that your Kick-back day includes decent weather so you can roll out the wood working equipment and make saw dust on the tonneau.  Enjoy the day anyway you can.....

Al 

PS: Share with us what you used to create the nice Christmas card above.  I just bought Photoshop Elements 2020 and hope to use it to fix one of the few factory photos of my Cleveland project for making some good scale drawings/calculations to build the body.  I also want to practice with Photoshop so I can get crafty, like you have done, making the nice card above!

Edited by alsfarms
clarity (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Hello Ben,

How was your east coast Christmas?  I do not want to take the shine away from Harm and what he has got going here on his Cleveland forum.  Harm is definitely getting my interest built for a substantial start on my "long shot" Cleveland project.  What have you got going as of late?  Remember, this is a big year for New Years Resolutions as this is the start of a new decade, so make it count!

Hello Harm,

Has your winter weather settled down to allow you to make saw dust?

Al

• Like 1

Hello gentlemen, thank you for your comment, hope you all had a nice Christmas. Anna and I had nice and quiet Christmas celebrations. I created the Christmas card with Power Point.

Mike I don't think you need some challenges from Alan or one of us, you show good and steady progress. And, by the way, the engine of the Humberette looks to me as more than enough of a challenge....

Yesterday, lousy weather, could not do anything. Made a parts list for the wood work. Today, beautiful weather, so out with the machines. Started at 8.00 hr and put the machines inside at 18.00hr, a long day. Sawed and planed all the wood needed for  building the toneau. Also finished the mock up of the toneau.

1787966687_Mockupoftoneauseatframes.thumb.jpg.8f0ae02b91d569a4211f7f657a789b48.jpg

Mock-up of toneau seat frame

733691581_Rearoftoneaudetail.thumb.jpg.d3eeeee6848609639276d7c3d66f4cda.jpg

Rear of toneau detail

1577220792_Rearoftoneauwithdoorposts.thumb.jpg.db2b61c37e5cd2295c13bfbd25c40239.jpg

Rear of toneau with door posts

279493427_Rearoftoneauwithdoorpostsinsideview.thumb.jpg.d438e4eb4a6053bc753ea5bed5adbac6.jpg

Rear of touneau with door post inside view

Alan, here are the some pictures of the construction of the front seat slats.

1633842884_Seatdetailspositionofmiddlestrut.jpg.cbb13e2667a4e0e98cd3b56acdfe7aaa.jpg

Front seat detail with middle slat (just a bit to short)

1186004122_Seatdetailstoppart.jpg.9ed36e1a7f5631eb2f21f7fe574fb057.jpg

Front seat top detail

1384075511_Seatdetails.jpg.3d786fa0ef591e0c26a523dba96227d6.jpg

Front seat bottom detail, on the left the slot for the gear, brake and ignition levers

This ends my report for today.

Regards,

Harm

• Like 5

Harm, I am very impressed with your woodwork skills. Did you make drawings of what you wanted to make, or was it made up as you went along? Sorry for the questions. Not being a 'woodwork person' I find it all very interesting. A similar rear section, for converting the Crestmobile to a 4-seater was originally available, according to one of the adverts. I have just had a quick look to see if I could find it, and have only managed to find an advert of the 1904 model that advertises the 4-person and 2-person model that had a proper steering wheel, rather than the tiller steering on my one.

1571683311_Crestmobile012.jpg.1bd15a82eff79480eff064230024e7b0.jpg

Keep up the good work. I eagerly look forward to reading your posts.

1 hour ago, Mike Macartney said:

Harm, I am very impressed with your woodwork skills. Did you make drawings of what you wanted to make, or was it made up as you went along? Sorry for the questions. Not being a 'woodwork person' I find it all very interesting. A similar rear section, for converting the Crestmobile to a 4-seater was originally available, according to one of the adverts. I have just had a quick look to see if I could find it, and have only managed to find an advert of the 1904 model that advertises the 4-person and 2-person model that had a proper steering wheel, rather than the tiller steering on my one.

1571683311_Crestmobile012.jpg.1bd15a82eff79480eff064230024e7b0.jpg

Keep up the good work. I eagerly look forward to reading your posts.

Hello Mike,

Thank you for the friendly words. No problem with the questions, that is the purpose of  the forum (as I see it). I am sorry to say, but I don't have drawings of the toneau. What I do, I make a mock-up, and go ahead and adjusting and tuning during building. Fifteen years ago I got some low resolution pictures of the car from the owner of the only other 1 cylinder Cleveland. Furthermore I copied and enlarged the drawings of the 1 cylinder Cleveland from the sales catalog. That is all the documentation I have.

If you like it, I can make a sort of drawing by putting detail pictures of the toneau in  PowerPoint sheets, and add dimensions and construction details for building a toneau.

As far as I can see the side panels of the toneau of the car below, they are straight and not curved as the Cleveland. That makes building one a whole lot easier. Mike just a question: is the front seat of your car made of wood, or has it a wooden frame and is it covered  with steel sheet? 

I included a picture of another British Crestmobile.

765054354_Crestmobilewithtoneau.jpg.3c15d7dae059f5667807c64a686e6713.jpg

Regards,

Harm

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sloth said:

If you like it, I can make a sort of drawing by putting detail pictures of the toneau in  PowerPoint sheets, and add dimensions and construction details for building a toneau.

No need to Harm. I was just interested on how you went about the woodwork. The only woodwork I have been involved with was making the hoops (bows) for the hood (top) for my Humberette. Thanks for the photo of the other Crestmobile. I have saved it in my file. That car was on the London to Brighton run when Jane and I did it in 2012, although I did not get to talk to the owner. I haven't done the run since.

1434700657_London2000490.jpg.0feb91b044244d60a0865b8587627859.jpg

It was a lovely day for a trip to Brighton in and open car! I' have got less wet when I've been swimming!

The seat is all wood and an open frame under the seat squab. I can take a photo if it is any help to you.

London to Brighton 2.JPG

• Like 1

Hello Harm,

What a great report to keep us enthused to work on our own projects!

Al

• Like 1