1903 Cleveland Roadster project

Sloth

Hello Harm,

I am glad we could help and the files are working out well for you! I see you have a Creality 3D printer. We have two Creality CR-10's in our lab that are running almost non-stop - affordable, good quality prints and they just keep printing!

We really enjoyed this project. Not only did my students get to work on an interesting project they also got to apply their skills and talents to provide help to another person. Anytime we can help others and have a learning experience is always fantastic.

Again, thank you so much for the excellent opportunity and good luck with the casting. I will make sure to share your progress with my students.

Best regards,

Terry

Edited by Terry Harper (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't know how it could be organized - and I'm not volunteering - but taking Jeff's suggestion a bit further I suspect that what might be useful is a place to archive digitized data. There is probably too much work involved to create 3D files for parts on spec but wouldn't it be nice if there was a place to store data that had already been done and that another enthusiast might need in the future. This is just an idea...I can see all sorts of pitfalls not the least of which is that with the technology changing constantly the files might be obsolete in a very short time. I don't begin to be qualified to say it's even possible - it may be that each type of printer requires it's own dedicated file but it is something that deserves some thought - perhaps by those of you with a lot more knowledge of the requirements.

I once typeset a 500 page book of which only 50 copies were printed. I saved the discs should they ever be needed again. They were 10-inch "floppy" discs and the machines that could read them were obsolete and junked ten years after I did the job so I'm not kidding myself that digital files are forever - I think it's just the opposite. Books and hard copy are forever.

• Like 3

Hello Harm,

I saw your comment about not being able to get through to Otto Gas Engine Works for the rings on your engine. I have been in touch with Dave Reed before on a project I am working on (1922 Oldsmobile V8), most recently in January of 2021. It did take me a couple of tries to get through via phone, but I will say that Dave has a wealth of knowledge and parts supply.

Wishing you the best of luck,

Respectfully submitted,

Rusty Berg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Hello,

Last week I sanded, primed and painted the brake molds. I did this to get rid of the small printing lines, so they look really nice now.

This afternoon I went off to the foundry. They told me they are very busy, so I am happy they would do it as a side job. I was a bit shocked by the quote they gave me, but as these are essential parts I decided to keep my mouth shut, and asked them to go ahead. Delivery time is about 4 weeks, which I do consider as not too bad. Experiences with another foundry in the past, left me waiting for 4 months for some simple castings. That foundry does not exist anymore, which is unfortunate, as they delivered a really good quality.

As the weather is improving, Anna and I have to do some house painting, not really my favorite job . Furthermore, some time ago the motor of the Bridgeport head of my Franken mill shorted. I guess there is something wrong with the field coils, I will take care of it tomorrow.

IMG_0722.jpg.e5500e4839832f4335f90499d1a88808.jpg

Primed and painted

IMG_0720.jpg.4a3fed5ccb66e8b93735f673a79f6bba.jpg

Both brake molds ready for the foundry. Blobs of paint to be removed before I go to the foundry 😏.

Regards,

Harm

Edited by Sloth (see edit history)
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Hello,

Last weeks, Anna an I did lot of sanding and painting. We are half way now, but yesterday it started raining so we postponed the remainder of the work until the weather improves.

Today I received the order confirmation of the brake drum castings, week 21 they will be ready.

Last week I received the head gaskets for the Cleveland engine. I am very happy with the quality, they fit perfect.

Gaskets.jpg.fa9d6a126a1716caebbdcf3960d6e100.jpg

The round gasket is the actual head gasket, for the ignition chamber the elongated one is needed.

Last weeks I did a lot of designing and drawing. I need brake bell cranks and some levers for the brake system. The lever which came with the car when I bought it, are late Ford model T levers, not suitable for the Cleveland and to far gone to use them anyhow. So I looked at a 1903 Cadillac of a friend and took some measurements. Furthermore I took some detail pictures of the 1903 Mitchell when we were in London in 2019.

1921920184_Brakebelcranks.jpg.b4100110ebbbf26da6a80aff2d2fb035.jpg

Brake bell cranks.

Hendels.jpg.52cef5112cf21d76f5bf514cb353ad8d.jpg

Brake system levers.

I asked the foundry what it would cost to have them cast, price wise a bit steep, I can live with that, but delivery date not. As I mentioned before, they are very busy, they told me "maybe end of this year".  I planned to make the molds from wood, simple and fast. But, as I wanted to have the chassis ready before Christmas this year, this was not going well. After some nights sleep, I decided to have them cut from steel plate and turn and mill, decent levers and bell cranks. That means I have to make decent drawings (DXF files). After checking continuous contours etc., I had the DXF files online converted to STL files, then sliced to G-code for the printer.  I printed them with the 3D printer, red on the pictures. 

After everything was OK, I send the DXF files to the company who did the water cutting of the steel plate. When you do all the file handling yourself, and send the correct files to this company, you only pay for the steel and the cutting time. When the company does the all the handling, and make the necessary corrections, it will cost you an 'arm and a leg'. They advertise with this possibility to reduce cost and delivery time greatly for amateurs.

Tomorrow, Anna and I will get our first vaccine jab (the second will be administered the 6th of June) . I must say we both looking forward to it. So maybe the second half of this year we can go, more or less,  back to some kind of normal....

This afternoon we received an invitation, for a 3 day rally, at the first weekend in September. 😊 Would be our first brass car outing in 1.5 year.

Regards,

Harm

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Hello,

Last Friday I got an email message from the foundry, that the brake drums were ready to collect 😄. So this morning Anna and I went to the foundry to collect them. I praised them for being 2 weeks earlier than planned.

I am happy with the quality of the drums. Some machine work is needed, but overall they look good. Each of them weighing slightly more than 4.5 Lbs (2 kg).

IMG_0730.jpg.7bf438d9308e81ea496a6d3525875ba3.jpg

Brake drum pair for the axle bar.

IMG_0734.jpg.cb8b3a7306a310324fdf99fb6b829008.jpg

Brake drums, to be  fitted on the axle bar.

IMG_0731.jpg.10f0667224da043679994f0c143a135a.jpg

Brake drum pair for the sleeve axle.

IMG_0733.jpg.057753df071d8b4a29685d5431194ca6.jpg

Brake drums to be fitted on the sleeve axle.

It might be clear that for the next weeks some machining must be done. I am looking forward to it, thisr item can be removed from my Cleveland to do list.

@Terry, the foundry people were impressed by the accuracy of the mold, it caused them no problems at all.

Regards,

Harm

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1