Sloth

1903 Cleveland Roadster project

6 hours ago, Sloth said:

Hello Jeff,

Thank you for your kind words.  I use the same One Shot paint. Nice wheel, detachable rims? Your striping looks good, the color combination shows. The wheels of the Cleveland are green with red striping, a bit hard to see.

Regards,

Harm

I think red stripe on green is one of the prettiest combinations, yours looks fantastic. I love your green color.
Yes, the wheels on my 1913 Ford are from a later car, demountable from the rim. Best for me as I do a lot of driving. Never have had a flat tire though. I do have the original wheels.

• Like 1

Benefits of AACA Membership.

Jeff,

It is good when someone simply learns a skill and then uses it in our hobby.  Do I understand correctly that you used the more traditional "Brushes" to apply your stripping?  My confidence is not high enough to try yo simply use a brush.  I have one very artistic son who could do it and I have thought to encourage him to "sharpen" his skill and do my stripping for me.  We will see how that turns out. 

Harm,

Have you tackled the tire installs yet?  I once waited until it was sweaty hot to install a set of 30 x 3.5 tires on a set of fresh powder coated wire wheels for a Model T.  I held my breath every step of the way...and was lucky to not knock any paint off.  When you get the tires on share a picture of your success!

Regards,

Al

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Today, because of the very fine and warm weather I decided to paint the tonneau, dash and hood with the West System epoxy. Went well, mixed small batches and applied them fast.

1316621119_Tonneauinside.jpg.bfa64292aec77401be4766f216d9ac54.jpg

Tonneau inside

1109480946_Tonneauunderside.jpg.5f6a601755caf2ae0b7fa3876e99d07f.jpg

Tonneau underside

784726869_Tonneaudoor.thumb.jpg.f6bfc9f0d7b77b08791b09567074f83e.jpg

Tonneau door

Wheels have to wait, the striping paint need some extra time to harden. I found it a bit to soft.

Regards,

Harm

Edited by Sloth (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Very nice work.  I've been enjoying your posts.

The West System is some nasty stuff.  What do you use for a respirator or for ventilation?

Ben

39 minutes ago, Ben Popadak said:

Very nice work.  I've been enjoying your posts.

The West System is some nasty stuff.  What do you use for a respirator or for ventilation?

Ben

Hello Ben,

You are right, its indeed nasty stuff. I don't use it indoors, but that makes me a dependent on the weather. I use a brush and a foam roller, absolutely no spraying.  I wear a respirator mask (Stanley OV/R95 Respirator Mask) and disposable latex gloves.

Regards,

Harm

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sloth said:

Hello Ben,

You are right, its indeed nasty stuff. I don't use it indoors, but that makes me a dependent on the weather. I use a brush and a foam roller, absolutely no spraying.  I wear a respirator mask (Stanley OV/R95 Respirator Mask) and disposable latex gloves.

Regards,

Harm

Try getting disposable latex gloves around here!!!   I'll be painting soon and unless I get really lucky I might be wearing my welding gloves. ;)

Beautiful work as usual Harm, really love how this project is coming together. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Luv2Wrench said:

Try getting disposable latex gloves around here!!!   I'll be painting soon and unless I get really lucky I might be wearing my welding gloves. ;)

Beautiful work as usual Harm, really love how this project is coming together. 

Our local wallmart has plenty of latex gloves  you just have to pick them up in the parking lot

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, bob staehle said:

Our local wallmart has plenty of latex gloves  you just have to pick them up in the parking lot

That will be a long journey for you Harm! 

I believe that spraying the epoxy primer on my Humberette body, last year, was the 'last straw' for my lungs, even though I wore an inline air fed hood/mask. My breathing got a lot worse after that. Let that be a warning for others! 

Posted (edited)
On 5/8/2020 at 9:26 AM, alsfarms said:

Jeff,

It is good when someone simply learns a skill and then uses it in our hobby.  Do I understand correctly that you used the more traditional "Brushes" to apply your stripping?  My confidence is not high enough to try yo simply use a brush.  I have one very artistic son who could do it and I have thought to encourage him to "sharpen" his skill and do my stripping for me.

Al, this is all I have for my striping:

Also a small sample of the stripe I did on my Ford Cabriolet:,

Encourage your son.......

38705A77-0009-461D-8E76-26FD40817720.jpeg

BCBC4148-D001-401D-A53D-5A5F1EFF6DF9.jpeg

Edited by Jeff Perkins / Mn (see edit history)
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, Mike Macartney said:

That will be a long journey for you Harm! 

I believe that spraying the epoxy primer on my Humberette body, last year, was the 'last straw' for my lungs, even though I wore an inline air fed hood/mask. My breathing got a lot worse after that. Let that be a warning for others! 

Hello Mike,

It surely will, have no idea how to travel to the USA at this moment....

Sorry to read about your lung problems.  40 Years ago Anna and I lived in a small village with a number of shipyards. I knew several yacht painters, they all warned me for epoxy paint causing severe health problems. Mike, I hope with some warmer and a somewhat dryer weather your breathing improves a bit.

Best regards,

Harm

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, bob staehle said:

Even then, it will probably cost you an arm and a leg???😄

• Like 1

Today, I got all the engine parts together (in one box) 😄. As far as I know, no missing parts (no pictures today, battery of Iphone AND camera empty). Even found the bearings of the crankshaft: large bronze bushings. I wonder if these bronze bushings are original, Cadillac and Oldsmobile used Babbitt. What to do, make Babbitt bushings, or use the bronze bushings? Gentlemen, whats your opinion?

Regards,

Harm

• Like 1

There were several early manufacturers that used bronze bearings. Mathewson was one...I have a 1908 or 1909 two volume book on automobile design that lists the specifications for many of the popular makes at the time, including the bearing material for the crankshaft and I was surprised at how many used bronze. So, I don't think it's out of the question that what you have is what it came with. If I were a gambling sort of person I might try it myself...

• Like 1

21 hours ago, JV Puleo said:

There were several early manufacturers that used bronze bearings. Mathewson was one...I have a 1908 or 1909 two volume book on automobile design that lists the specifications for many of the popular makes at the time, including the bearing material for the crankshaft and I was surprised at how many used bronze. So, I don't think it's out of the question that what you have is what it came with. If I were a gambling sort of person I might try it myself...

Hello Joe,

Thanks for your answer, but the last sentence did it.... As I am not a gambling person, I won't take any risks with this engine. So I go for the age proven Babbitt solution.

Regards,

Harm

• Like 1

That was my reaction too...I've never even bought a lottery ticket.

• Like 3

This afternoon, I received the new top leaves of the springs. As the old top leaves showed deficiencies (crack) at the eyes, I decided to have new ones made.

Veerbladen.jpg.f9858457301c7d89904d76cc188f56a3.jpg

New top leaves. Bottom two are the rear leaves, top two are the front leaves.

Tomorrow, I will clean and paint them (only the visible parts).

Regards,

Harm

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

As the outside temperature was to low (50F) to paint the spring leaves, I decided to take on another job. Putting tires on the wheels. So I lit the stove to warm the tires, and managed to put the tires on the rims. Took some brute force to get the job done (clincher tires 😓). To put it mildly, the tires were quite stiff, but to be honest, I bought them in 2009. Some paint touch up of the rims must be done, but I am satisfied with the result, milestone achieved ☺️.

576586836_Wiel1.jpg.20a026d23beb173644657f3bed8e1be0.jpg

First wheel done.

1194979177_Wiel4.jpg.980a653377a6413a303a78b238f622dd.jpg

All 4 wheels done.

Regards,

Harm

Edited by Sloth
lost a part of the first sentence (see edit history)
  • Like 5

Hello Harm,

Nice work on the tire mounting.  I bet you slept better that night for sure.  I hope you didn't learn any new vocabulary words as you arm wrestled with the tires!

Regards,

Alan

• Like 1

On 5/16/2020 at 1:06 AM, alsfarms said:

Hello Harm,

Nice work on the tire mounting.  I bet you slept better that night for sure.  I hope you didn't learn any new vocabulary words as you arm wrestled with the tires!

Regards,

Alan

Hello Alan,

No bad language used. I know from earlier experience,  mounting clincher tires on rims can be a tiresome job..... So I took my time and asked Anna to assist me. The tires are still holding air,  but for the chips of the paint, everything is OK.

Last Tuesday our government told us that the quarantine measures are going to be relaxed, step by step that is. So we are going slowly back to a more or less normal way of living. Yesterday, our health authorities announced a still decreasing number of deaths and people being hospitalized. Anna and I haven't seen our family and friends for 2 months now...😞

Regards,

Harm

• Like 2

The last time I mounted clincher tires was last summer.....an 82 F. sunny day which really softened up the tires. I could almost mount them with my hands and knees!  I did use very hard plastic tire spoons (for bicycles) and did not scratch the rims but did leave some marks. 
We have not seen family/friends for two months also.....things are still going backwards here so no end in sight yet. Fortunately we have cyber connections  and a never ending list of things to do around home. Looking forward to better times and to see what the new normal is. Take care and be safe!

• Like 2

Hello Harm,

What is next?  Assembly of the suspension?  I failed to respond to your question/thought on babbitt versus bronze for bearings.  I think you have leaned in the right direction by doing the babbitt process!  I am anxious to watch as you proceed with the mechanics!

Hello Jeff,

Are you, in Mn., having typical weather....rain to keep your 10,000 lakes full and a breeding ground for your huge mosquito's?  It looks like you are well versed on Fords.  What is you latest project?  How hard hit is Minnestoa on the Coronavirus Pandemic? 

Al

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Hello Alan,

Today I started with turning 14 spring bolts. I use 4140 bar, I have a nice piece of it laying around for years now. I will use it in the normalized state, so no hardening afterwards. Further I ordered some bronze bar to make the spring bushings from. I hope that everything is ready at the end of this week. Just one caveat, for the coming days the weather-forecast predicts high temperatures ( 82 F) and no wind, would be to hot after 13:00hr in the shop for lathe work (no air-co 😁). 

Regards,

Harm

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Today, I completed the 'production' of the 14 spring bolts. Made them out of an 1" round 4140 bar. Dimensions of the bolts, 3"long, pin size 1/2", head size  7/8", screw thread UNC 3/8". Made a lot of chips, took quite some time to finish the bolts. I will use square headed nuts. Further not much to report, still waiting for the bronze bar.

1042209628_Springbolts2.jpg.f0e9189b17d527b38ebea4149cb53cd2.jpg

Spring bolts, the two bolts on the right are used for the front spring perches.

569301487_Springbolts1.jpg.80c46d4d451d232b7d2b70465319fa22.jpg

The two bolts on the left are used for the front spring perches, different dimensions and head.

850832658_Springboltheaddetail.jpg.6c87ba0f78a7ee8d9059144e9e9a7da5.jpg

Detail picture of spring bolt and part of a spring shackle.

Next week I hope to paint the bolt heads the square nuts and the new spring leaves. Also I want to assemble the rear axle, everything is painted now, maybe some simple striping of the rear axle would be period correct.

Regards,

Harm

• Like 4

Nice job... how did you put the slots in?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JV Puleo said:

Nice job... how did you put the slots in?

Hello Joe, just for the fun of it, I put them in with the shaper. I know, not efficient (time consuming set up) but I like it very much to use the shaper 😁.

Regards,

Harm

• Like 2