Sloth

1903 Cleveland Roadster project

Hello Harm,

I am hoping along with you that your surprise package has your new hinges nestled comfortably inside just waiting for the touch of the masters hand.  I am hoping to have a very similar package with my hinges inside, shortly.

Regards,

Alan

• Like 2

I agree with Joe, you have made fantastic progress. Thank you for sharing the journey with us. I for one have learnt a lot from your posts. Keep up the excellent work and posts.

• Like 1

Hello Harm,

Have you sorted out your rear door latch and finished it up?

Regards,

Al

Hello Harm,

What's the verdict, hinges or not hinges from the Post Office?

Regards,

Alan

Hello, "To hinge or not to hinge" that was the question.

YES, this afternoon I received the hinges, and (to my surprise)  about 40'  1/2" diameter cane. Hinges and cane are of excellent quality. So tomorrow its steam bending time, if the weather behaves as promised.

152330298_Hinges1.jpg.634167ea1f593fb6c31d6c8672b43f97.jpg

Hinges, brass,  4"long 1 1/2" wide and 1/4" thick, rust free steel hinge pin.

463283556_Cane1.thumb.jpg.71e58fae64367e6c5ae03882078a5120.jpg

Untreated cane, 1/2"diameter.

Regards,

Harm

• Like 1

On 2/2/2020 at 3:28 PM, alsfarms said:

Hello Harm,

Have you sorted out your rear door latch and finished it up?

Regards,

Al

Hello Al,

Not yet, first hinges and the cane. And then some brackets.

Regards,

Harm

• Like 1

Hello Harm,

Well.... my post man came and left a package.  I was excited but it certainly was not my hinges!  Maybe tomorrow!  I am interested to see how you are going to split the cane and make it flat on one side so you can bend it to fit your body.

Regards,

Alan

• Like 1

Hello gentlemen, today I had a productive day. Started early, the target was to attach the moldings on the tonneau. First, split the cane in half round pieces each 1/4" thick (the cane has a diameter of 1/2"). I  tried to split the cane by knife, it worked, inch by inch and not nice in appearance, but after 20 inches I was worn out . So, after a some heavy thinking (2 seconds), I just planed it to thickness. The planer made short work of it  ( 1/4" thick). Tried to bend the cane, first by steam, but after half an hour the steamer gave up the ghost. So what to do? I could bend it by hand, so I tried it. Must say, it went really good, and much easier than I thought and managed to make them off one piece of cane for each side.

All the moldings are done, even the door came out nice. I am relieved that this job went so well and quick, thanks to the excellent quality of the cane. For attaching the molding to the tonneau, I used PU glue and very thin nails (I used a pneumatic nailing machine with small 3/4" long thin nails with T-head). Furthermore, I adjusted the air pressure for the pneumatic nailing machine to the lowest possible, workable setting. If not, you shoot the nail right through the cane and destroy it....

1272138478_Tonneaumoldingrightside.jpg.5641456607611d0273e57f962781f49b.jpg

Tonneau molding right side

1213378568_Detail2tonneaumolding.jpg.fc139f24a48ae6962d2e8654e33358c3.jpg

Detail of tonneau molding

903044390_Tonneaumoldingrear.thumb.jpg.7cfe237d562ea2d684349d409da143db.jpg

Tonneau molding rear side

Tomorrow removal of the excess glue, than start sanding and filling all the small holes and  sanding again and so on. That phase of the project is certainly not one of my favorite jobs, but I know, very important for getting a nice end result. One wood job left: the floor boards. I make them, as soon as I am really sure that the engine and the control mechanics fits under them.

Regards,

Harm

Edited by Sloth
Spelling error (see edit history)
  • Like 5

EXCELLENT work! That is going to be so sweet when you finish.

• Like 3

Hello Harm,

Do you think the steaming had any  effect on the cane as you worked those tight corners and had it lay down as nicely as it did?  You have done a very nice job and your craftsmanship certainly is top notch.

Regards,

Alan

• Like 1

18 hours ago, alsfarms said:

Hello Harm,

Do you think the steaming had any  effect on the cane as you worked those tight corners and had it lay down as nicely as it did?  You have done a very nice job and your craftsmanship certainly is top notch.

Regards,

Alan

Hello Allan,

Sorry, can't tell, because my steamer broke before the cane was properly steamed. Thanks for the compliments.

Regards,

Harm

Edited by Sloth (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Hello Harm,

It is very rewarding to watch your progress!

Regards,

Alan

• Like 2

Yesterday, removing excess glue and started sanding the Cleveland body. Had not much energy and a terrible headache (not a hangover 😊,  just an area of low pressure is approaching, that means bad weather!). Woke up this morning, a lot of noise outside. At the moment a heavy storm is blowing. They called her "Ciara", and a strong girl she is. The forecast for the next hours: she will increase in strength. Furthermore, thunder and a lot of rain, I think, we can do without this kind of weather. Mike you may keep Ciara 😄.

Regards,

Harm

• Like 1

Don't blame us in the UK, just because we are leaving the EU! :) It looks as if all this wind, rain, hail has come from the WEST. I blame them there Americans!

On a serious note, I hope everything is OK with you and your property. We were OK, here in Norfolk, apart from a power cut in the afternoon and evening. We had a nice candlelit evening in front of the wood burner and early to bed. This morning it seems that the voltage is lower than normal and I am typing this under a flickering LED bulb in the kitchen.

• Like 1

The Americans gave it to us East coast Canadians and we did want it so we sent along to England and Europe.

• Haha 2

Hello, today Anna and I started removing a lot of branches, blown off the trees. We are happy that no damage to our property is done. But we have still a lot of bad weather, wet snow, rain, hail and a lot of wind. After a while, we got wet and cold, so we retreated to the shop, where it is dry and warm. Started filling and continued to sand the body.

Regards,

Harm

• Like 2

Hello Harm,

Do you have a combination of evergreen trees and leaf bearing?  Hopefully the branches blown out of your trees will only be for the good and did not wreck the shape of your trees.  I had a bad wind literally break the top out of a large full grown English Walnut tree a couple of years ago.  I had to pear it down significantly to get it into a condition that it could regrow into a beautiful tree again.....in a few years!  Glad no harm was done to your shop or home!

Regards,

Alan

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alsfarms said:

Hello Harm,

Do you have a combination of evergreen trees and leaf bearing?  Hopefully the branches blown out of your trees will only be for the good and did not wreck the shape of your trees.  I had a bad wind literally break the top out of a large full grown English Walnut tree a couple of years ago.  I had to pear it down significantly to get it into a condition that it could regrow into a beautiful tree again.....in a few years!  Glad no harm was done to your shop or home!

Regards,

Alan

Hello Alan, thanks. No evergreen trees over here, all trees in my neighborhood are at the moment leafless. Only the Ivy is has some green leaves. We have some large old Oaks, Birches and Willows. Further a variety of Apple trees, Prunes, Cherry trees  and some Acacia trees, and one Walnut tree. In the spring most of them bloom very well, its a nice and colorful sight. A few years ago we lost a very large apple tree (she was at least 30 feet high), this, due to a summer storm with strong whirlwinds. I was very fond of that tree. The stump is still standing, could not bring myself to bring it down, maybe this spring.

Regards,

Harm

• Like 2

Hello Harm,

I feel your pain at loosing a favorite apple tree!  Are you going to replace it with a similar variety?  I have an OLD apple tree that is a very good tasting variety, good for sauce, eating, juicing or cooking.  The bad thing is it is on its last hoorah.  I am taking a class on "grafting" to learn the proper method for grafting so I can pull some scion wood from the tree while it is still alive and make 4 or 5 new trees out of the old.  I am curious, have you proceeded further with your body bracket building to connect the body with the frame?

Regards,

Alan

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alsfarms said:

Hello Harm,

I feel your pain at loosing a favorite apple tree!  Are you going to replace it with a similar variety?  I have an OLD apple tree that is a very good tasting variety, good for sauce, eating, juicing or cooking.  The bad thing is it is on its last hoorah.  I am taking a class on "grafting" to learn the proper method for grafting so I can pull some scion wood from the tree while it is still alive and make 4 or 5 new trees out of the old.  I am curious, have you proceeded further with your body bracket building to connect the body with the frame?

Regards,

Alan

Hello Alan,

Good of you to learn grafting, its not an easy thing to do. Yes, we will replace the tree, at the moment no idea with variety we will buy. Anna may decide on that 😇.

Regards,

Harm

• Like 2

Hello,

Today, I inserted the door into the body. The hinges are perfect, good quality and stiff fitting. Fitting the door was not easy and took more time than I thought. I am not satisfied, the gap on the left side is not parallel with the doorpost, furthermore the door is not flush on the left side with the body. I wait making corrections till the body is on the chassis and the chassis is on the wheels. As the body and the door are very rigid, there is not much "wiggling" room, well I can always make another door 😢.

2124020413_Rearsidewithopendoor.jpg.f30ec5e99a63421aafa5682da046f8a8.jpg

Open rear entrance door.

1218408456_Rearwithcloseddoor.thumb.jpg.c5ab9abe9126bec4a71f4742b579bac0.jpg

Rear entrance door, not flush with body (1/4" deviation)

934929754_Doordetail.jpg.131615f37d16c5448f2dd211fe3c36e3.jpg

Inside view rear entrance door.

1471566601_Bodydriversside.jpg.5a2cb46ee023deb01075224f4fff2359.jpg

Sanding and filling again.

After looking at the sales brochure again, it became clear to me that I forgot something quite important. The tonneau seats 3 persons! So I have to make a seat between the right seat and the left seat. I must say I have no idea how it was made in 1903. Never seen a car with a three seat rear entrance tonneau.

Regards,

Harm

Edited by Sloth
Corrected right side by left side (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Hello Harm,

Nice work for sure!  I think more of the rear entrance cars had provision for three than we might think.  I have seen more rear doors padded on the inside which infers that someone could be using the door as a seat back.  On another but very realistic note,  your body building product is probably equal to or better in fit and finish than the car when it was new!  🙂 So I am seeing that Anna and Harm could give us another photo shoot for Valentines with sweethearts in the rear tonneau (lovers seat).  🙂

Regards,

Alan

• Like 1

Hello gentlemen,  no Valentine pictures for sitting in the tonneau (Al, sorry to disappoint you). Being not so athletic anymore 😁, we did not take any risk to climb into the tonneau (which, at the time,  is not firmly secured to the under body).

Today, I spend some time adjusting the rear entrance door, it fits a bit better now.

Further, I made 2 hold down brackets, for securing the tonneau to the under body. Went well, I will assemble them tomorrow.

Made them of hot rolled steel. The long parts are 1" x 6" x 1/4" thick. The square plates are 2" x 2" x 1/4".  Thumb screw thread = 3/8" UNC, wing width 1 1/2".

386800195_Holddownbracket.jpg.7bc951a3733f9cd1db42355588ca0add.jpg

Hold down brackets.

Regards,

Harm

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Sloth said:

. . . . no Valentine pictures for sitting in the tonneau

It is better to be safe than sorry. We don't want you or Anna to come to any harm! Which reminds me, Harm is an unusual name, I have not come across that name before, does it have a equivalent Christian name in English?

• Like 1

Hello Harm,

Ok, I finally received the hinges to be used on my rear entrance door.  I am satisfied with them  and I will like the appearance.  I am hoping that the use of this style hinge will allow me to adjust the  rear door, when open to hang more perpendicular to the frame and not swing down.  We will see if my plan will or can work out!  On your given name Harm as inquired by Mike above, my Father had a first cousin with the given name "Harmon" who was called Harm all his life.  He was a great guy and "Harm" seemed so natural.  What is next for the Cleveland......

Regards,

Alan

2iEC3PiNR1jF9JEqe1uT66YRz7BFJLyZz3ThGYITJnU3Tz5PlafW6_Z3AUoMYNGp7xki5D3PWPcLj31S-yrdeTYpAjS6IEdKkI6E74gt1aHOpXf6YHJlnf2_F1OlhSDIsDcDbbfnjA=w683-h910-no.jpg

hqPTNCRG-ycLhrZyWsaMoUrH4278RGmmumjAAYXns-ifUtalFBmnvUHu0jDooGyJSzRqYo_vR8CTTB-XiqG4aeSzby61bKfn8riyz8Uq40aAU_MnxgN7Fp5aGTv7WrVvdCcnPfHRE7Gfur6sEza5vdZx0Q3At4WRYBHWUj9ahzCdQLrp3CMbV6muSTnj6bj5jDSrZ2InFSeL_Nzur.jpg

• Like 1