Another Scam?

nickelroadster

I am selling a rim online  and have gotten a wild answer and have pretty well decided it is a scam but am not sure how it works.  I wonder if the person doesn't fiddle around and send different instructions about the way to do things and then decide that he or she has sent too much money and then ask for a refund.   I don't se a Nigerian prince involved. If anyone could explain how this might work  I would like to know as I am not going to follow through to see how it works

Hello David  .. Hope in good condition .. How much will you let it go for ? $100 sounds good for it .. It looks clean and worth the offer .. I am willing to pay for it Ok .. I will be sending a carrier to come for the pick up at your location .. All expense paid by me .. i wont be able to pay cash for this sale but i can only issue a cashier's check
and i can wait till the check is being cashed and clears before the carrier would come pick it up at your location ..I hope we can proceed with the payment ?Ok then text me the full name that will be written on the check and the full mailing address where it will be sent to ? i must be sincere with you that the only mode of payment which i can afford at the moment is a cashiers check .. I will wait for the funds to clear in your account before the carrier comes for the pick up ..Let me know if you will be willing to accept the check ?

I need to inform you of other household items which is due to be picked up within the states plus the
() which i am buying from you .... the shipping funds will be included on the payment sent ...
So i will be adding a extra fifty for you to have it done in my favor and for your trust and reserving it for me
I will give you further directives on how to communicate with carrier as regards the best
time for pick up and remainder funds .... I hope i can trust and confident in you ..

Nickelroadster

He wants to pay you with a bogus cashier's check, then you pay the carrier to take the item. You don;t get any good money from the seller, and you gave money to the carrier, who took your parts. You are now out parts and money. Get it?

This scam is very old. Just now taking little time with the speed of the internet.

I followed through on one of these type scams. I think I discussed this before. I was selling something, auto parts for $250. I was sent a counterfeit cashiers check for $2,300. Which was $50 extra for my trouble, plus a $2000 overpayment because the buyer's agent or associate made an honest error.

This fake check came to me via a UPS letter delivery.

I was supposed to return the extra $2,000 by sending it to SOME OTHER PERSON, in some random state, via western union.

Then when I hesitated to send this $2,000 cash refund to some third, unknown to me person, the buyer became agitated.

But then he did me the favor of giving  me the name of some other person, in some other state, that I could send the $2,000 overpayment refund to.

So all was well, huh?  

I’ve received several of the “cashiers checks”. You deposit it, then about 10 days later your bank tells you that it was counterfeit and remove the money from your account. Now you’re our the item AND the shipping. I sometimes play along just to see what color check comes this time and it amuses me to hear the “buyer” trying to claim his purchase. I’ve even gotten one to send another check to up his offer. 

If you ever have a question about a check that arrives, call the bank that it’s drawn on. Most likely they will tell you that it’s bogus. As stated above, I too only accept US Postal Money Orders, it’s a federal offense to counterfeit or try to fraud in either direction.

Wayne

I was ripped off by a guy that accepted only postal money orders. I sent the money order. Never got the item, a $200-plus touring bike. Made a complaint to the Postal Inspectors, with a copy of the postal money order I sent, and the name and address of the guy I sent it to. And never got a response. Very disappointing. I would think they'd track down the fraud, since they had the guy's name and address.

12 hours ago, nickelroadster said:

"I must be sincere with you that the only mode of payment which i can afford at the moment is a cashiers check .. "

"I need to inform you of other household items which is due to be picked up within the states.,,"

Oh?  He can afford buying this car part, $100 plus

$50 shipping, and "other household items within the

states" but he can't afford any other type of payment?

It's sort of fun to detect the false logic that identifies a fraud.

This is an old Nigerian scam, It goes like this . "I advertised my 62 land Rover for sale for 10,000 dollars.. " I will send you 13000 thousand cashiers check. I will send my guy to pick it up. Give him 200 thousand in cash for his troubles and send part of the extra cash by some Union thing  to me. After a week the bank sends me a letter saying the check is fake and charges me 28 dollars for presenting a false check. I loose 200 thousand cash and my Land Rover plus the bank charges. "   

I was actually selling two rims, one of which I am going to ship to the Czech Republic.  I met a friend of the buyer at Hershey and he paid me  with a North Carolina check which I am waiting to clear the bank before I ship to the buyer.  He spoke very good English and talked about his car (old Buick).  The "Nigerian" said he had a large collection of cars but couldn't tell me what kind of car he had.  I still think that the scammer had limited scam skills.

Nickelroadster