Value Estimate: 1958 FORD FAIRLANE Club Sedan

Requesting help putting a value on a friends 1958 Ford Fairlane club sedan. 

It was her Dad's car, has been sitting for four years and she would like to see it go to a person with interests in this make of car.

The photo's were taken today at the service garage who has gone over it to get it running and make sure the brakes are in working order.

1866525514_IMG_6175-Copy_LI-Copy.thumb.jpg.db992c760dbe0bfda10d651167c6ccf0.jpg

2135629003_IMG_6176-Copy_LI-Copy.thumb.jpg.e103b3ab6a078ba3f2d081e9ea1289c2.jpg

65796940_screenshot(2).png.1df0e9971584cff522bc48ec3f5a1ffa.png

IMG_6174.thumb.JPG.4a2c969c8dee0e7d5bb614fc6b57e9f9.JPG

IMG_6178.thumb.JPG.bfd1cdd1479aee9e2504cf03f23e8a73.JPG

IMG_6177.thumb.JPG.70421e2bf35e1db1b471f64c6832e9fb.JPG

The car will require some detailing like polishing out the slightly faded red paint and cleaning the chrome under the hood but without having looked underneath, appears to be in good overall condition.

I'm not sure the V8 is a period correct Ford engine (not familiar with Ford products of this era) and not sure if the floor shift transmission is a three or four speed. Things like the custom grill, dummy spot lights and the seat upholstery suggest his ideas of "customising" but generally the car has that stock look and could be restored to stock if one so wanted.

Putting it out there to help her get an idea from a group of car people and not the "good deal hunters" she has encountered so far. Any and all thoughts appreciated.

(I have too many cars in my stable to take this one on but looks like a fun ride)

Edited by dei (see edit history)

I don't think you are way off at 4900.  Maybe another grand in it. on a good day maybe even two,  but it's all on how hot someone is to buy this particular car.  How sound it is underneath will make a difference as well.  I see alot of cars priced higher but none seem to be selling in the same shape.  A real sale price to get it gone,  which may mean selling it to one of the guys that thinks he is going to make money with it,  if he puts the elbow grease in you don't have time to to make it more sellable is probably in that range.  Sure you could hang 10 G on it,  and it will sit there with all the other cars guys could buy for 10 G.  That's the problem with today's market,  less guys are shopping for a specific car as they are a certain type of car.  In your case the buyer most likely is looking for a 50's 2 door and beyond that may be looking at Ford Chevy Dodge or whatever he comes across.   That's unfortunately what you are up against, so see what's available in your area and price it according to that market so it's more appealing either in condition or better price than the rest and it should sell.   Good luck. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Doug,

I think the best bet is to put it on Ebay with a starting price of $4,500 and see what happens. It appears to have the correct Y-Block engine. The floor shift is not correct for that car. It would take some work to bring it back to stock, including new upholstery. Of course this depends on how the car looks underneath.

Regards,

Lew Bachman

1957 T-Bird Colonial White

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys for the feed back.:)

I should have stated this car is in Windsor, Ontario, Canada, the short drive across the Bridge from Detroit, Mi if that might make any consideration regarding the price.

I know you are suggesting USD's, which would make her feel better when figuring the exchange, but with not having sold many of my own cars for years, don't always rely on the Haggerty values when it comes to sale prices. It is ALWAYS the right buy and seller getting together right?

I will get a shot or two of the underside and post them.

4 hours ago, dei said:

...Things like the custom grill, dummy spot lights and the seat upholstery suggest his ideas of "customising" but generally the car has that stock look and could be restored to stock if one so wanted.

The car's grille is correct, not custom.

(See period illustration below.)

I'm not an expert on '58 Fords, but the seat

upholstery might be correct too;  but is the

specific vinyl grain correct?  Fords from 1958 were

not popular when new--customers didn't like the 

styling, according to reports from that year--

and don't have as much of a Ford following as

Fords of surrounding years, but it should be a good

affordable collector car for someone.

Ad-1958 Ford 2.jpg

• Thanks 1

Title vs. no title makes a huge difference in value. That's one thing people often don't mention when asking about the value of a car. Cars on ebay without titles are often listed (or go for) prices that are a half or third of what titled cars are.

7 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

The car's grille is correct, not custom.

(See period illustration below.)

I'm not an expert on '58 Fords, but the seat

upholstery might be correct too;  but is the

specific vinyl grain correct?  Fords from 1958 were

not popular when new--customers didn't like the 

styling, according to reports from that year--

and don't have as much of a Ford following as

Fords of surrounding years, but it should be a good

affordable collector car for someone.

Thanks John for that information.

As stated I'm not at all familiar with 58 Ford's, hence my reaching out to those in the know to provide an honest idea of what it might be worth for a sale.

I've already cautioned the lady that Insured value does not mean an asking price

• Like 1

It's a tudor post car as well which makes it usually a little less desirable / valuable than it's sister 2 door hardtop.  I would bet 99 percent that the interior is incorrect though not terrible.  It does appear to have a very large  stain on the front seat red fabric.  Tired Chrome on the rear bumper.  Is the rear 1/4 window fogged up from the bottom as well?  Stuff like this is all stuff that will make a buyer squeeze his fist a little tighter around that wad of hundreds.   When she gets ready a good detailing would go a long ways.  Might be a well spent few hundred bucks.   As a kid into my late teens and early 20's I loved getting detail jobs like this and the people were always amazed at how good I made the cars look. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, JamesR said:

Title vs. no title makes a huge difference in value. That's one thing people often don't mention when asking about the value of a car. Cars on ebay without titles are often listed (or go for) prices that are a half or third of what titled cars are.

One big difference here in Canada vs the States is that cars are registered with Ownership's not Titles. 

Without an Ownership you can't buy new license plates every year and it shows either proof of Insurance (with Policy #) or states "Unfit". The later verifies the owner actually owns it but it has not passed a Safety Check (required when transferring Ownership) therefore not allowed to be driven on the road and licensed.

In the case of this Ford all that is in proper order so no worries there.

Thanks your input.

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

It's a tudor post car as well which makes it usually a little less desirable / valuable than it's sister 2 door hardtop.  I would bet 99 percent that the interior is incorrect though not terrible.  It does appear to have a very large  stain on the front seat red fabric.  Tired Chrome on the rear bumper.  Is the rear 1/4 window fogged up from the bottom as well?  Stuff like this is all stuff that will make a buyer squeeze his fist a little tighter around that wad of hundreds.   When she gets ready a good detailing would go a long ways.  Might be a well spent few hundred bucks.   As a kid into my late teens and early 20's I loved getting detail jobs like this and the people were always amazed at how good I made the cars look. 

I agree with you wholeheartedly on the post cars (sedans) vs the hardtop values.

I know they were the least costly when purchasing new so unless that is what someone desires, obviously the hardtops would sell first for more today.

I also think the red upholstery is not correct as maybe the pattern is different from the few pictures I found too. The door panels appear to be correct with factory trim though.

Yes that quarter window has some foxing but being flat glass (and the few hundreds you mention) is fixable. All this confirms to me that while a solid looking car, one that would be a work in progress much like my Buick Special is.

I like cleaning a car up also and have toyed with offering to get at the paint and chrome to help her out but... the consequence of that would be my project cars would be that much farther behind.

Will see... 

I believe it being in Canada is a huge damper. I dont bid on Canadian cars simply because of shipping and the border.

Many Canadian cars listed on the bay sell for 15-20% less then here in the US, because of the extra effort and costs.

I would sell it on a CL type ad locally to a Canadian. I think the 4900. is a very good starting point.

Looks like a good entry level auto that can be used and enjoyed for driving and cruise night activities.  I used to get rides home from high school with a classmate in her mom’s 1958 Ford 2 dr sedan In turquoise with a three on the tree.  It’s great to see cars like this still out there in the marketplace.  

• Like 1

Thanks all for your feed back on the car. 👍

I'm going to mull things over before talking to her this weekend. 

I might be dealing with "pie in the sky" here and want to carefully present what I know now. 

She approached me so...

• 2 weeks later...

I went by to talk to the owner of the Ford and found it came home after passing the Safety inspection and is now licensed, insured and literally on the road.

1662244820_IMG_6222-Copy_LI-Copy.thumb.jpg.74802afc06fa8a63fc0d78b612efe467.jpg

It still could use a good exterior cleaning/washing but it really is a solid car that someone sure could enjoy. 

IMG_6221.thumb.JPG.697307c3d6e820bd5ef8d8b1504721a2.JPG

Looks like it has a southern origin with that dealership sign.

IMG_6223.thumb.JPG.c7e2409956a5cdfd1e18755219efe181.JPG

The timing on my part wasn't sufficient to present the information to her so will be back later and hopefully it will be helpful to her. 

(Dad's fake bullet holes are not my thing but to each his own I guess...)

Thanks again for the input gang.

I sent you

On 10/15/2019 at 5:01 PM, dei said:

Requesting help putting a value on a friends 1958 Ford Fairlane club sedan. 

It was her Dad's car, has been sitting for four years and she would like to see it go to a person with interests in this make of car.

The photo's were taken today at the service garage who has gone over it to get it running and make sure the brakes are in working order.

The car will require some detailing like polishing out the slightly faded red paint and cleaning the chrome under the hood but without having looked underneath, appears to be in good overall condition.

I'm not sure the V8 is a period correct Ford engine (not familiar with Ford products of this era) and not sure if the floor shift transmission is a three or four speed. Things like the custom grill, dummy spot lights and the seat upholstery suggest his ideas of "customising" but generally the car has that stock look and could be restored to stock if one so wanted.

Putting it out there to help her get an idea from a group of car people and not the "good deal hunters" she has encountered so far. Any and all thoughts appreciated.

(I have too many cars in my stable to take this one on but looks like a fun ride)

I sent you a private message.