Sign in to follow this  
Terry Wiegand

WORLD HEADQUARTERS FOR RENO BUICK COMPANY

Several of my Pre-War Buick friends and enthusiasts have watched the progress of the rebuilding of my shop building.  The building is 24 x 60 feet and when I built it back in 1992 I put Redwood lap siding on it.  Several years ago we had a bad hailstorm come through our part of town and destroyed the siding and Cedar Shake roof.  I had a brand new 18 foot Wells Cargo enclosed trailer that had never had a car in it that was totaled out.  To make a long story short we ended up suing our insurance company to get a settlement for the damages.  With all of that said, I started over on the building.  It has a brand new Western Red Cedar Taper Sawn hand nailed roof on it.  The soffit and facia material is Western Red Cedar.  The original shake roof gave us 25 years with no leaking after the storm.  We went with LP SmartSide siding material and I really like working with this stuff.  I am in the process of getting the Reno Buick Company sign ready to hang over the overhead door that is in the photos.  The county that we live in here in Kansas is Reno County.  The origins of the Buick Dealership in Hutchinson date back to 1907.  It seems very appropriate that the name Reno Buick Company should identify this shop building.  I have the largest collection of Pre-War Buicks in Hutchinson, Kansas, so that name seems very fitting for their home.  I will post more photos once the hand-lettered sign is installed.  The color scheme is the result of my wife's very good eye for historic colors.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas  aka Doo Dah America

P6100484.JPG

• Like 2

Here is another photo that shows the Carriage House lights a little bit better.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

P6100485.JPG

• Like 3

Terry, that all looks straight and square and those three colors go well together. One critique I’ll offer is that those nice carriage lights would stand out better if they were about 16” off to the side of that door opening. You sign will look good up there.

My first and second houses both had shake roofing. I really liked the look and still do. Interestingly, both roofs were destroyed by bad hail storms.  On the last house, I  replaced the shakes with asphalt shingles over new plywood sheeting.  Just last week I was trying to recall the last shake or sawn shingle roof I’ve seen around these parts and I can’t think of one.  It’s certainly an old style but perhaps most fitting for a world headquarters. 

thanks for sharing!

-Joel

Joel,

Thank you for the kind words.  When I built the shop my thinking was to try and stay with the style of the house that sets next to it.  The old house was built in 1927 and we just about have it finished up with the way we want it.  The only thing left is the replacement of four windows and the new siding.  The Reno County Museum has old telephone books going back into the early nineteen teens.  The Reno Buick Company had a really nice ad in the 1918 book.  I am going to use a lettering style similar to their ad back then.  Wait till you see the colors that I am going to use on that sign.  Stay tuned.

Terry Wiegand

Out Doo Dah Way

• Like 2