awk409ak

64 Riviera Right Side Mirror

OK dumb question time.  So you must remove the door skin to add the mirror, right.  I do have to remove the skin one day this winter to replace a vent window gear.  That would be a good time to do it IF I decide on it.

Thanks,

Art

Edited by awk409ak (see edit history)

When I bought my car it had original base mirrors on the driver's and passenger side. From what I have gathered from discussions on the forum these were most likely dealer installed but, could have been added by a previous owner at some point. I am not saying this is correct but, both mirrors were mounted with no reinforcing plate on the backside. They are solid and I have had no issues with that. Both mirrors are placed in such a way that there is no interference with the vent window when opening or closing.

I replaced the driver's side mirror right away with a replacement from CARS, Inc. as it was cracked and had pitting issues. No problems with the placement of this mirror. It is usable and gives me good rear vision. The passenger side mirror as has been mentioned is practically useless. I was able to adjust it so that there was some usable rearward vision if you did some body contortions while trying to use. Useless when in motion on the road but, usable when backing out of the garage or in the driveway.

Two years ago I decided to replace the passenger side mirror as it was starting to show its age. I purchased a replacement from CARS, Inc. They will tell you it is an exact replica. It is not. I put the 2 mirrors side by side and the CARS mirror had a slightly lower and longer cant forward. To the naked eye you would never know that they were any different unless you put them side by side. While seemingly inconsequential, this slight difference makes a mostly useless mirror into a completely useless mirror. There is no way to adjust the mirror to make it any way useful in the position it is on my car. The base mirror whether the original OEM or the replacement from CARS is just a decorative piece. 

Bill

P.S. The placement of my driver' mirror is not the same as the remote mirrors I have seen. I almost made the mistake of buying a remote mirror before checking the placement. 

IMG_5541.JPG

IMG_5542.JPG

IMG_5543.JPG

IMG_5544.JPG

IMG_5545.JPG

IMG_5546.JPG

My driver's side is a remote mirror and is about 1.375 from the door edge and right inline with the A pillar.  You can see the viewing is through to vent window.  Not a lot of viewing room, but it all work fine.

Art

925705346_20191019_120841_resized13111.thumb.jpg.d6d080499351bffbb39cca439bdb025e.jpg1083149631_20191019_121456_resized13115.thumb.jpg.e5544554189d55ebe52d946fec24f880.jpg1065241894_20191019_121703_resized13116.thumb.jpg.8f4d13d8093c2d0b76cd5fe555740c64.jpg

IMHO, the best thing to do with either mirror on the passenger's door is to match its location to the driver's  side mirror and put a full sized convex mirror on it.  You can use them for backing but the big advantage is that wide angle that eliminates the blind spot where the right side sail panel is.  

On 10/19/2019 at 11:03 AM, Riviera63 said:

When I bought my car it had original base mirrors on the driver's and passenger side. From what I have gathered from discussions on the forum these were most likely dealer installed but, could have been added by a previous owner at some point. I am not saying this is correct but, both mirrors were mounted with no reinforcing plate on the backside. They are solid and I have had no issues with that. Both mirrors are placed in such a way that there is no interference with the vent window when opening or closing.

I replaced the driver's side mirror right away with a replacement from CARS, Inc. as it was cracked and had pitting issues. No problems with the placement of this mirror. It is usable and gives me good rear vision. The passenger side mirror as has been mentioned is practically useless. I was able to adjust it so that there was some usable rearward vision if you did some body contortions while trying to use. Useless when in motion on the road but, usable when backing out of the garage or in the driveway.

Two years ago I decided to replace the passenger side mirror as it was starting to show its age. I purchased a replacement from CARS, Inc. They will tell you it is an exact replica. It is not. I put the 2 mirrors side by side and the CARS mirror had a slightly lower and longer cant forward. To the naked eye you would never know that they were any different unless you put them side by side. While seemingly inconsequential, this slight difference makes a mostly useless mirror into a completely useless mirror. There is no way to adjust the mirror to make it any way useful in the position it is on my car. The base mirror whether the original OEM or the replacement from CARS is just a decorative piece. 

Bill

P.S. The placement of my driver' mirror is not the same as the remote mirrors I have seen. I almost made the mistake of buying a remote mirror before checking the placement. 

IMG_5541.JPG

IMG_5542.JPG

IMG_5543.JPG

IMG_5544.JPG

IMG_5545.JPG

IMG_5546.JPG

Hi Bill,

Just an FYI...Buick placed the drivers side remote mirror in 2 different locations during the `63 model year. At the beginning of the model year the mirror was placed as yours is, basically aligned with the vent window divider. The other full size models also had the same mirror location. In October `62 the mirror placement for the Riv was moved to the forward edge of the door as you have seen on other cars.

Keep in mind any manual mirror whether left or right was NOT factory installed and the location of the mirror was in the hands of the installer. There were templates in the mirror kits sold through dealerships to locate the mirrors based on model but it is very evident the suggested guidelines were not always followed. I have a very original `65 with the early `63 Riv placement.

If I was a tech back in the day I would have grabbed the owner, sat them in the drivers seat, and chose mirror placement based on their needs. But thats just me....also keep in mind it was possible that an owner could have done his/her own installation by simply purchasing the accessory mirror at the dealer and doing the install themselves.

Tom

Edited by 1965rivgs (see edit history)
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, 1965rivgs said:

Hi Bill,

Just an FYI...Buick placed the drivers side remote mirror in 2 different locations during the `63 model year. At the beginning of the model year the mirror was placed as yours is, basically aligned with the vent window divider. The other full size models also had the same mirror location. In October `62 the mirror placement for the Riv was moved to the forward edge of the door as you have seen on other cars.

Keep in mind any manual mirror whether left or right was NOT factory installed and the location of the mirror was in the hands of the installer. There were templates in the mirror kits sold through dealerships to locate the mirrors based on model but it is very evident the suggested guidelines were not always followed. I have a very original `65 with the early `63 Riv placement.

If I was a tech back in the day I would have grabbed the owner, sat them in the drivers seat, and chose mirror placement based on their needs. But thats just me....also keep in mind it was possible that an owner could have done his/her own installation by simply purchasing the accessory mirror at the dealer and doing the install themselves.

Tom

Hi Tom,

Thanks for that. I have a question for you. Were early (pre-October 62) remote mirrors placed in the same location as my mirrors? I must have viewed later mirror placement models when looking at remote mirrors. This stopped me from getting a remote mirror as I thought placement was an issue. I would entertain getting a remote mirror if early placement of the remote mirror was the same. Thanks.

Bill

2 hours ago, Riviera63 said:

Hi Tom,

Thanks for that. I have a question for you. Were early (pre-October 62) remote mirrors placed in the same location as my mirrors? I must have viewed later mirror placement models when looking at remote mirrors. This stopped me from getting a remote mirror as I thought placement was an issue. I would entertain getting a remote mirror if early placement of the remote mirror was the same. Thanks.

Bill

Yes

Tom

I'm glad that Tom gave an explanation for the placement of factory installed mirrors.  I took a picture of every mirror and data plate on cars equipped with remote mirrors.  Never came up with anything reasonable.  Everyone I took a picture of had the correct code for the Fisher Body installed mirror. I never thought about looking at the build date.

Rivnut,

Thanks for the message.  I tried to reply, but it said only 2 per day.

You make a lot of sense.  I've been kinda struggling with this right side mirror thing and I don't know why.  Maybe I just like how it looks.  I did some looking at this a different way.  Please anyone tell me if I'm totally off base on how I"m thinking.  My whole idea was to mount the right remote mirror (same mirror as the left 64 remote mirror, which are reversible) in the same location from the door edge as it is on the left side (~1.375 from door edge).  So with that said, what if I get in the passenger seat and re-adjust the left remote mirror to view it from the passenger seat, is this the same.  I think it is and with that I can only see maybe half of the mirror at best.  So then am I installing a right side mirror just for the looks and no no real useful function.  That's where I'm at.

Thanks,

Art

In 1963 a driver's side mirror was optional. Since the mid '70s most all cars have passenger side mirrors.  When we don't see one it looks like something is missing. If you like the look, do it.

On 10/17/2019 at 10:07 PM, RivNut said:

You are correct. Only the early production mirrors are reversible.

Ed, I like the dummy spots on both sides. Chromed of course. They do night work, but they look cool.

59 minutes ago, Turbinator said:

Ed, I like the dummy spots on both sides. Chromed of course. They do night work, but they look cool.

Oh yeah.  Now you're cookin'.  But you'd want the spot to work as well.

hqdefault.jpg.30e0519868767b8a070934eadc7f23fb.jpg

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

7 hours ago, RivNut said:

Oh yeah.  Now you're cookin'.  But you'd want the spot to work as well.

hqdefault.jpg.30e0519868767b8a070934eadc7f23fb.jpg

Ed, the dummies are cheaper and they must be round and with the lens facing down. It’s about decoration!